Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Xssights

Thread: According to Kahr....

Default According to Kahr....

Not sure if this is the right sport for this but....

" Kahr Arms does not endorse any particular brand of ammunition. However, not every brand of ammunition produces the same results. Please check the markings on the barrel hood of your firearm to determine the proper caliber. Kahr suggests a visit to a pistol range to test fire different brands of ammunition in the proper caliber. Kahr do not recommend steel case, reloads or un-jacketed ammunition. The Kahr pistol is rated to +P."

My Questions to those of you out there that own these... 1. How do Kahr CM/CW 45's handle with reloads, ( In General i know all loads are different )
    2. Should/Can you use Steel Case?
    ( Hey it's cheaper!)
    3. Can i really trust this little gun with +P 230 grain loads?

Any insight would be great, as i am the proud owner still have not taken it to the range yet so i don't really know what to expect from this little hand cannon.

Thanks,

They will run fine on proper reloads. Mine gets a steady diet. The caveat being proper reloads. Mine that I use in 1911's balked a bit, the chamber is apparently a tad shorter. I shortened the over all length just a tad and all is fine, just a tiny bit shorter was all it took.
    I would not shoot any gun with steel case. Probably would work, but cheap isn't always good. If your shooting a russian gun, use the steel, don't abuse your Kahr.
    I personally know that it can handle the +P 230. Back to the reloads, somehow, some way I got a double charge. Never happened before and I still don't know how but I was shooting a string at an indoor range and bang bang BOOOM!

My son doing something behind me looked up as I was checking my hands for missing digits, then examining the gun for missing parts. All was fine and dandy, nothing blew out, no damage and shot another couple hundred out of it after that so I have no doubt +p would not be a problem.
    That being said I never use +P, it's a 45, you don't need to soup it up ya know.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I tried some of those stout Underwood 230-grain +P Gold Dots in my PM45. I'll save those for my carbine and stick to standard pressure 230-grain bullets. I still have 900+ left from the case I bought... just about the only thing in quantity available at the time a few years ago.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Steel cases cause excessive wear to your gun and they can't be reloaded. That makes them no bargain in my book. All Kahr pistols will handle +P ammunition, but not +P+. The standard defensive loads are adequate for serious social work in the 9mm Luger caliber and up. They aren't as hard on the shooter or the gun as the +P ammo. Hollow point bullets in the .380 caliber may not give adequate penetration. Lead bullets aren't recommended for use in polygonal rifled barrels. They will work just fine in conventionally rifled barrels. Kahr doesn't recommend reloaded ammunition, because of people like Bawanna. They'll work just fine if you are careful when you reload. Trust no ones reloads, but your own and be suspicious of even those.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

I have a ton of rounds thru my CW45. It will eat the +P's but they are not pleasant to shoot a lot of them.
    Wake Up...Grow Up...Show Up...Sit Up...Shut Up...Listen Up

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    Steel cases cause excessive wear to your gun and they can't be reloaded. That makes them no bargain in my book. . .
    True. The Russians are partial to steel cases because their guns as well as people are expendable. In addition to excessive wear to your gun, you will also get excessive wear to your reloading dies assuming you reload.

As to reloads, my P9 with 1400 rounds through it has known nothing but reloads. I use brass cases and jacketed bullets. Please don't tell Kahr I'm doing this.
    Life member - NRA
    Life member - CA Rifle & Pistol Assn.
    SW desert rat

Believe it or not, my mother always told me............" No Tula, no Wolf, no reloads." At least I think she told me that.......................................