Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recoil Spring Guide Nut Missing

I found that my CM9 guide rod did this as well, it would catch on the front of the slide, until I watched this video:

By ensuring that the tip of the spring is pointed towards the barrel when I reassemble my pistol the guide rod cap never catches.

I had posted this tip several months ago when I discovered it. It seems like a lot of others had as well.

Good luck!

I've only had a chance to shoot my new PM9 twice now, and I actually prefer the guide rod assembly in the PM9. Of course it is different from the plain guide rod and spring in my K9 and P380. Does anyone know why the guide rod assembly is different in the PM/CM's from the other Kahr guns? I know the gen 4 Glocks use a similar style guide rod assembly as the CM/PM series.

Evidently the compressed/captured spring and the free one give better results that the single spring. Look at the P380 spring assembly... two concentric springs... one within the other... about a guide rod.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Quote Originally Posted by wyntrout View Post
    Evidently the compressed/captured spring and the free one give better results that the single spring. Look at the P380 spring assembly... two concentric springs... one within the other... about a guide rod.
    That makes sense, just curious why they haven't made that change with the other pistols. Has the PM/CM series always had the different guide rod assembly?

As far as I know. The P/CW and larger have the traditional spring and guide rod, but Kahr had to do something different for the smaller pistols with shorter slides and less mass.

Wynn
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

seems like the smll framed guns hve sonme type of captive guide rod. My 43 glock has a captive guide rod assembly. Looks like an abortion but it works fine. nO REPLACING THE OUTTER SPRING ON THE g43 SETUP..

COURSE ANY DAMN FO KNOWS THAT A GLOCK RECOIL ASSEMBY IS GOD FOR 500,000 ROUNDS, THEN U JUST NEED TO RE-OIL IT AND CONTINUE.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    COURSE ANY DAMN FO KNOWS THAT A GLOCK RECOIL ASSEMBY IS GOD FOR 500,000 ROUNDS, THEN U JUST NEED TO RE-OIL IT AND CONTINUE.
    There are recoil reduction systems for larger framed pistols that replace a single spring with a captured system like the small Kahrs (PM, CM, MK) use. Having two springs allows the designer to use two different spring rates. The recoil pulse can be controlled a bit more that way. I'm just speculating but they may have a lower rated spring that allows the slide to come back far enough for even relatively weak ammo. But, after that there isn't much more room in the micro pistols to absorb recoil so a stiff spring after that allows the pistol to still function with hotter loads without beating itself, and the shooter too badly.

I imagine in these small pistols, without as much travel, the designers needed more control over the slide in the recoil pulse than they could get with one spring.

Here is an example for one of those Glocks that Jocko has taken a liking too. http://www.zahal.org/products/recoil..._parent=153401

Plus, I have found no evidence to the rumor that more Glock owners ride Hondas. Just saying.

As far as I know. The P/CW and larger have the traditional spring and guide rod, but Kahr had to do something different for the smaller pistols with shorter slides and less mass.

Wynn
    Wynn, I'm just picking your brain here, but I wonder why they don't have the same style guide rod assembly for the P380 then.

Slim pickings... maybe that was the best recoil system Kahr could come up with in testing that tiny P380... and simpler and cheaper than the captive spring combo.

Wynn

Thomas Jefferson said

and

Slim pickings... maybe that was the best recoil system Kahr could come up with in testing that tiny P380... and simpler and cheaper than the captive spring combo.

Wynn
    Ha. Yeah the simplest explanation is usually the best answer. Thanks for entertaining my questions.