CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights

Thread: New toys and a fun range visit

Default New toys and a fun range visit

Today was rainy and nothing much to do so I packed up some new, newer, (and one old) guns and headed to the range nearby.

I picked up a nice Henry rifle at Bud's gun shop in East Tennessee a short while ago while visiting with my brother there. It's quite a gun shop, with a really nice range that I wish I could have used. They give you a free hour when you buy a gun but they had no ammo for the rifle , a .22WMR. I had a small stock here, so today, I took it to my local indoor range to see how she shoots. What a sweet little rifle. The action is smooth as silk, has a nice smooth trigger, the sights are "old coot" friendly and although it was only 25 yards, the rounds were right on top of each other. Already sighted in very nicely. It was under $400, a fair price I believe, as I think this is a real keeper. I kind of bought it to give away to a grandchild, but he's going to have to wait a few years.

Just a week ago I bought this Beretta CX4 from a fellow in the area. I had one, first generation, but let it go. I wanted another pistol caliber carbine so knowing this was a fun and very reliable carbine, I went for it again. The gun is just slightly different that before but feels a little better in the hand due to different foregrip molding. I installed a cheap red dot that co-witnessed with the neat iron sights and off I went. Shot some cheap ball ammo and a mag of Winchester +P I had but no longer carried. What a blast!! After fiddling with the sights things were zeroed in and humming. This gun is pure fun. It's very short, very light and fairly cheap to shoot. lots of fun. Beretta has discontinued the CX4 I read. A pity. Glad I got one when I did.

Also brought my newish HK 416, the .22lr plinker I bought but hadn't shot much. This is fun times two. I put a co-witnessed reflex on this and shot away. For some reason this carbine just feels good in the hand. The trigger is pretty good and with care the rounds go where you want. Good fun for a fair price. Umarex makes some nice .22s.

Also ran about 50 rounds through my .32acp Sig P230. I prefer my other Sig, with it's soft Hogue grips, but they don't fit on this model because of the safety. Still, the Sig is a fine pistol, shoots and points without much effort. Sexy and competent... Oh yeah.

I had a fun time. I'm happy with my new buys and still pleased with some not so new. Maybe it'll rain tomorrow...
    Last edited by ripley16; 05-22-2015 at 04:03 AM.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

I gotta get me one of them P230s. Glad you had fun!
    ​O|||||||O

Thanks for the pics and commentary. I missed going to the range today ,but lived vicariously through your depictions.

Some nice rifle/carbines you have there. The pistola is very nice also. Cheap shootin' is always good.

That HK looks nice........and looks like it's fun to shoot. That Beretta looks like something from outer space........