Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slide defect/wear issue, in the slide release recess region

Default Slide defect/wear issue, in the slide release recess region

I haven't used the CW380 in a while because it had worked so well the last time I used it, but decided to clean it tonight and check a couple things out of curiosity. In cleaning the gun's slide in the long channel that connects to the polymer lower assembly/grip, I used a Q-tip swab to mop out the debris. What I noticed was that the fibers off the Q-tip were hanging in that little recess where the slide lock release sits when the gun is assembled fully. Looking at it closer, it seems the metal at the very apex of that arch has eroded away enough that you can see through the metal right there. Because it's sharp due to the thinness of this eroded metal, it seems like it may be shaving the polymer part of the gun ever so little each time the slide it racked. I was quite surprised.

Anybody seen this before? Think they'll replace the slide or gun as a whole if the polymer has been shaved at all? Seem the metal was very, very thin there to start. Is that true of your guns as well?

Here's a couple pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images

erichard, I'd send that picture to Kahr customer service and see what they say about it.

To me that isn't a structural high wear area and I think it could just be filed or dremeled away, but that should be their call.

I've never seen one like that before, obviously a void that went unnoticed.

They may want to just replace the slide for ya or agree that it can be cleaned up.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Thanks. I'm not sure if it's a void or if the machining was simply too deep leaving only a sliver of metal between the slide's channel and the slide stop release hole. And that metal easily wore away as it was so thin. Check your guns and see if yours is thin there too (anyone). I wonder if they are all thin there of if mine was unusually that way. I've only put maybe 500 or 600 rounds through it, so it's definitely not from overuse. Some would say that's the real break in amount for these guns. Guess I "broke" it in, he, he.

I never noticed it before, but my P380 has that same shaped hole there. I got it used and it has 2000 or more rounds through it. Works fine and I'm not sure I want it "fixed," but I'll be curious to hear what Kahr says to you about it.
    On the other hand, I also have a CW380 which is around 600 rounds now. No hole in that one and its not thin there either.
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

My P380 shows no wear what-so-ever in that area. I can't see it causing a function problem, but it is a cosmetic defect. Send pictures to Kahr.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBurn View Post
    ... Works fine and I'm not sure I want it "fixed," ...
    ^^^ very wise...
    ​O|||||||O

Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    ^^^ very wise...
    Yeah, that defect shouldn't cause a problem until well after the warranty expires.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    Yeah, that defect shouldn't cause a problem until well after the warranty expires.
    Bought that p380 used so it never had a legal warranty for me. But I've had it serviced gratis by Kahr. They never even asked about warranty info. Bet they'll do it again if I want to send it in for this.
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

I bet they would too. Contrary to popular belief I think they adhere to the right thing to do philosophy.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

If it's a defect in material or workmanship Kahr should repair or replace it regardless of warranty and I believe that Kahr will. Kahr stands behind their products. They would be damn fools to stand in front of them.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380