CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 9MM ammo brand questions

Default 9MM ammo brand questions Your Message

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    I did have a few problems with Fiocchi 115 gr.........................I think it was because they are a tad longer than the other ammo I use. No issues with PPU, Blazer, Federal.............................
    Do you know if Fiocchi 124 gr FMJ has the same issue? Yesterday, I bought 100 rds of it and 100 rds of Blazer Brass 124. 124 gr range ammo is very rare in my area, but 115 gr is common. Went to Adventure Outdoors for their May special of Speer Lawman 124 FMJ for $12.99, which is about 1/2 their regular price. It was the last day of the sale, but it was all gone, so I bought the other 2. They also have American Eagle 124 gr, but it is expensive. Most LGS's here do not carry any 124 gr FMJ. I can always order ammo online, but I hate paying the shipping. Will have to pay shipping on SD ammo though because nobody around here has 124 gr Gold Dot +P JHP or Fed HST. Once I find range ammo that my K9 like best, I will get a case.

Ferro Veritas, In Steel There Is Truth

Quote Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
    One I forgot to ask about is: GECO ammo.
    sparx
    I used to use 124 gr FMJ GECO exclusively for range ammo in the 80's. It was Swiss made back then and pretty hot. It felt like NATO spec. They currently make 115 FMJ and two types of 124 FMJ. One is their old style bi-metal jacket. It has a lead core with steel over that, and then a copper jacket. Although it does nor have a steel core, it will attract a magnet, so some ranges will not allow it. It does 1180 fps with 380 ft lbs, not sure if that is NATO spec. I used to run it in a BHP. They also make a 124 gr FMJ that is a copper jacket over lead for those ranges that do not allow the old style GECO. I intend to get some for my K9 and revisit. I remember being pretty impressed with the quality back in the day. It has always been very affordable. Don't know if it is still Swiss made. It would kind of surprise me if it still was made there with companies looking elsewhere for reduced labor costs. Ammunition Depot has the old style for $11.97/50 rds and SGAmmo has the non-bi metal for $11.95/50 rds. My closest range will not let me shoot the bi-metal, but if I drive 8 miles further ,there is another range where people shoot the .50 Barrett and they don't bat an eye at even steel core ammo, let alone bi-core. If you want to stick with American made ammo, Magtech 124 gr FMJ can be had for a little as $10.99/50 rds and Speer Lawman 124 gr FMJ for $11.99/50. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Streetkahr View Post
    Do you know if Fiocchi 124 gr FMJ has the same issue? Yesterday, I bought 100 rds of it and 100 rds of Blazer Brass 124. 124 gr range ammo is very rare in my area, but 115 gr is common. Went to Adventure Outdoors for their May special of Speer Lawman 124 FMJ for $12.99, which is about 1/2 their regular price. It was the last day of the sale, but it was all gone, so I bought the other 2. They also have American Eagle 124 gr, but it is expensive. Most LGS's here do not carry any 124 gr FMJ. I can always order ammo online, but I hate paying the shipping. Will have to pay shipping on SD ammo though because nobody around here has 124 gr Gold Dot +P JHP or Fed HST. Once I find range ammo that my K9 like best, I will get a case.

Never tried the Fiocchi 124gr. FMJ, so no help there....................I quit shooting Fiocchi in my Kahr, I have no problems with it in other firearms. I've just been using Fed HST 147gr., and Hornady Critical Defense 115 gr. FTX in the Kahr.

Since Tulammo was mentioned I will say there are two types. The steel cased made in Russia and the brass cased made in Italy. The brass cased ammo is not bad. I had a box that got left outside for about a year. Found it still wet in some cloth. The box had disintegrated but the plastic base was still there and most of the rounds were turning green from oxidation. Tried them in my P9. Had two failures to fire and one of those fired after resetting the striker for a second strike. The other was not going to fire at all. There were no failures other then failure to fire. Needless to say it was not that bad for cheap ammo.

Stick with CCI Blazer Brass or PMC. Both a good and can be found at a decent price.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Default 9MM ammo brand questions

I shot 100 rounds of the cheap steel Tulammo through my CW9 last week with no issues. It was all Wallyworld had in stock at the time. Prior to those I bought a 250 round box of reloads from Ventura Munitions. No issues with their rounds either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CW9 1000 rounds * CW380 950 rounds
    www.jdlautodesign.com

I go with US Made ammo and never no steel case especially for a lot shooting.

There are excellent tests on most common defense ammo to confirm and confirm its performance.

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    Stick with CCI Blazer Brass or PMC. Both a good and can be found at a decent price.
    he's right, hate to admit it.

All guns can be finicky to some brands, although it is not prevelant in most guns with american brand ammo. If u get a finicky brand, fokk um, , just swith brands. Not rocket science..
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

I use blazer brass and PMC too. Works fine in my PM9

Quote Originally Posted by yqtszhj View Post
    I love S&B. I've found it to be good stuff and buy all I can when I find it cheap.

+1 Love it