CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Metal Magazine Followers For 9mm Kahrs!!

On my mk's the only parts that even bother me a little are the plastic followers & plastic guide rod but they have worked for 4 years now with no problem. I still would be interested in replacing them with the new metal ones here. The guide rods offered by Kahr seemed to have troubles sometimes so I left the gun as is.

Quote Originally Posted by Streetkahr View Post
    Good to hear you are doing K9 grips. Material other than G10 would also work great, and color options other than black might also be nice. Not fond of rubber because it sticks to clothing and prints. Love wood, but the checkering is sometimes too sharp and can catch on clothing and have the same printing issue. Don't know about the checkering on the Hogue, though. I understand that Esmerelda is willing to do one-off wood grips for the K9. She does a stunning grip with Celtic knotwork that is tempting. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Your stainless guide rod sounds better than the Wolff/Kahr parts version. I will order one in addition to some of your metal mag followers. As I buy more mags, I will buy more followers. Speaking of mags, are there any issues with the standard 7-round K9 plastic floor plate? Would aluminum be an advantage?

Ferro Veritas, In Steel There Is Truth. An Elegant Weapon From A More Elegant Age.
    I don't know of any issues with the plastic K9 base plate. For primarily cosmetic reasons, I have been playing around with a design for one. I thought I would price it in both aluminum and stainless to match the pistol. It might be kind of nice to have one that matches a bit better.
    Aftermarket accessories for Kahr Pistols at https://lakelinellc.com/
    There are always more in the pipeline...

Quote Originally Posted by kerby9mm View Post
    On my mk's the only parts that even bother me a little are the plastic followers & plastic guide rod but they have worked for 4 years now with no problem. I still would be interested in replacing them with the new metal ones here. The guide rods offered by Kahr seemed to have troubles sometimes so I left the gun as is.
    Without having it in front of me, I think the recoil assembly is mostly stainless, except for the plastic doohickey on the end. Of course, that is what shows.

The plastic guide for the striker springs seem to work well on all the Kahrs. I've never heard of an issue with them.

You could look at the Wolff solution for the recoil assembly. I bought one. I haven't used it yet. It requires different springs available through Wolff. It isn't stainless, but it isn't plastic either if that helps.
    Aftermarket accessories for Kahr Pistols at https://lakelinellc.com/
    There are always more in the pipeline...

Default Metal Magazine Followers For 9mm Kahrs!!

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    I have been able to ride the slide and slingshot my MK since day one..........................did change to Wolff products, and my magazine always had a metal follower, which is nice. Now that it's broken in, the slide release is so touchy, that just breathing on it will let the slide return to battery.................................
    It looks like some people can slingshot ok once their Kahr is really well broken in. Kahr says slide release only, but I cannot remember why..something to do with the design. Riding the slide is not important to me, but I would like to be able to slingshot. After my K9 is well broken in, I will do a bunch of range testing.

Did your MK mags come from the factory with metal followers? Don't know much about the MK.

I've always slingshotted my MK9. It's always worked.

Quote Originally Posted by kerby9mm View Post
    I may try the Lakeline stainless guide rod. From what he said, they are more robust than the steel rods sold by Kahr and reduce recoil even more.

Ferro Veritas, In Steel There Is Truth

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonse View Post
    I don't know of any issues with the plastic K9 base plate. For primarily cosmetic reasons, I have been playing around with a design for one. I thought I would price it in both aluminum and stainless to match the pistol. It might be kind of nice to have one that matches a bit better.
    Good to know. The K9 is the first steel pistol I have purchased that did not even need a little gunsmithing. Even though it's not Elite, they seem to have polished the ramp and chamber anyway. When chambering a round, ejecting, and inspecting it, I can only see a single short very shallow scratch. That is the best I have seen out of the box. It's still hard to resist tinkering with it a little, though, and replacing some of the plastic parts with metal. It would also help with the slightly weird feeling I have about buying a NIB steel pistol that needs absolutely nothing done to it. Kind of funny, but I'm just not used to that. I would be interested in stainless mag base plates just for the improved cosmetics and pride of ownership.

Ferro Veritas, In Steel There Is Truth

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    The reason that Kahr recommended the use of the slide stop to chamber a round was that some people rode the slide when racking and that practice can lead to feeding problems when the guns are new. After the break-in Kahr pistols can be racked by hand with no problem if you don't ride the slide. Most Kahr will feed properly even if you ride the slide after the break in period.
    Very good to know! Thanks Muggsy! Mine is not yet broken in, so I'll keep using the slide stop for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonse View Post
    .... They could be on the front where the barrel can sometimes contact the follower after the last round,...
    Thats it right there.^^^ but i have more rounds than I know, probably 1000+ with no issues, just dinged on the front of the follower. So that being the case Ill keep shooting it and if it breaks try a metal one maybe.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

There aren't too many options for magazine base plates. I took one of the goofy plates used to fit an 8 round magazine in a K9 and cut it with a small saw and filed it to fit so I had a base plate without the finger extension for my P9.

Last edited by Greg; 06-01-2015 at 10:12 PM. Reason: added pic