Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Glock G30S and Alien Gear Hybrid Leather-Kydex IWB Holster for 69th BD!

I just got back from some shopping and took off my P40 and replaced it with the G30S in the Alien Gear holster for some photos. I forgot the camera was in video mode and Wifey was trying to take pictures. I made still from ALL of the videos so she could get back to HGTV or FOX.

I have pictures without the gun, but with the holster and mag carrier on, but those are redundant, so I'll just show the shirt down and shirt up pix.

I'm under 150 pounds but still have a little paunch that I didn't suck in. Wifey was trying to take two shots of each pose and we didn't know the camera was just being switched on and off in video mode.

I wear Large tees and polos and have a bunch by Lands End and Duluth. The ones from Duluth, as pictured, are longer by a few inches... handy for covering stuff up.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

I usually try to pull my shorts up so it's not so obvious that there's more weight on my carry side, but I also try not to do a lot of that adjusting in public... just when dismounting from a vehicle or getting up from a chair... to make sure the shirt tails are down and not caught on any "protrusions".

The mag is a G21 13-rounder in a Kydex OWB holder. I tried to get a shot of me holding my hands level to the front, but didn't catch that on one of the VIDEOS.

Voluminous shirts really help with reaching, but bending over at the waist would cause printing, I'm sure.

I'm still wearing the G30S and extra mag with ammo, but no chambered round to see how this combo will feel.

I still need to order sights... Trijicon HD NS with Yellow FS.

Wynn
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Lord have mercy Wynn, your looking vera vera fit. Gosh durned if you ain't better looking now than you was 5 years ago.

You go and find that fountain of youth and not bother to tell bawanna about it?
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Thanks! I'm keeping close to 40 pounds off for a few years now and trying to eat some healthier stuff. I still like my red meat and red wine, though.

Thomas Jefferson said

and

Congrats on the weight loss.
    NRA Benefactor

Thanks! I was wearing that rig last night until we went to the living room and after sitting in my recliner, I decided that was enough testing for the night... too lumpy for reclining!

I'm listening to Alan Jackson via Amazon's Echo "Alexa"... pretty good sound and I love the voice control. Wifey's out shopping... thrift shops and antique stores... doesn't buy much, but it makes her happy... and gets her out of the house for a while. I can't listen to my music without a headset when she's here.
    Last edited by wyntrout; 06-30-2015 at 02:29 PM.

Thomas Jefferson said

and

Well, today I got most of my upgrades for my new Glock 30S. I got everything except the Trijicon HD NS Yellow, which may get here tomorrow or Monday.

I installed the Vickers mag release, marine firing pin spring caps, Lone Wolf extended slide lock, and the ZEV Technologies Race connector. I didn't do a thorough polish of the trigger parts, but I did run my fine sandpaper over everything and then used some Flitz on the parts... just rubbing it on and off with a paper towel... didn't get carried away with polishing.

I tried to knock the edge off the trigger safety a bit with an emory board and fine sandpaper. It did have a slight sharp edge.

I got two more 10-round mags and gave them some TLC and then loaded them to capacity. These new Glock mags loaded easily to 10 rounds and I left them to sit a while loaded, but as I said, they loaded easily with the Mag UPLULA, unlike the ones that came with the pistol. I had to really work with those. These seem to need no break in.

I've been practicing with snap caps and then my LaserLyte cartridge on the Reaction Targets. I still jerk too much most of the time.

When I get the HD NS I'll install those and check out the whole setup at the range before trying to CC with the G30S.

I checked the other holsters I have... the Glock cheapie and the hybrid MDJ Mini or Super Tuck copy that I got for my G23c/G19 and it fits, too. So I have three holsters so far that fit. I'll probably get a Dead-Eye Luke all Kydex one at the next gun show in three weeks or so. These others are a handful to put on and I want a quick on and off holster, too.

I'll have to add up all the costs for this pistol so far. Every new gun is a money project... pit! At least I can use my other Glock .45 mags with this one.

Wynn

Thomas Jefferson said

and

I got the new HD NS yesterday around 4PM. I had to wait all day and went ahead and removed the Glock standard sights. I used my Sight Pusher and mounted it with a small portable vise onto a TV tray. The vise mount wound not fit my usual work table... the all-purpose dining room table.

Getting the sights off was easy. I really like the "Glock Tool" with the punch and the 3/16" socket... the right depth and a magnet to hold that tiny screw for the front sights.

I had to watch a video or two on the use of the Sight Pusher. The slanted pusher is for the Glocks, but you need to use the flat part to get installations started, pushing against the base of the new rear sight to get it sort of flush with the slide, so that you can then use the slanted pusher for final positioning.

The rear sight required a bunch of preparation... didn't slide halfway in and it took a lot of filing and finally sanding, which worked better, to get the base to slide into the dovetail. I tried numerous times and finally just pushed the danged thing in. I lucked out and must have removed enough material that I didn't ruin the sight! I don't recommend this procedure for the faint-hearted! It easily took me two hours + to finally get that rear on. My dining room table was covered with all sorts of tools and stuff before I was through... and late for cooking dinner!

I used files, stones, and finally sandpaper to remove metal from the base and the sides of the base... very tight!

I just had to make one minor adjustment and the the sights seemed right on. I tested them a lot with my LaserLyte practice cartridge. I like the easy staging with the ZEV Race Connector and stock spring. I'm able to easily stage the trigger and get a smooth release. I don't have a trigger pull scale so I don't know what difference there is, but I like the trigger pull.

I still have to touch up the rear sight a bit with a bluing pen, but everything looks good. I even made a tube grip cover... took three tries... and it could be better, but I'll give it a try at the range today. I wish that I hadn't just read about the rear of the trigger guard causing blisters on the middle finger for some people. I might have to adjust that a bit with sandpaper wrapped around a Sharpie pen, but that can wait.

Some pix of the pistol and sights:

After the range test I'll have to see if I can CC this fat sucker. I don't think that will be a problem with my large polos and I will feel better with the increased firepower that might come in handy in the future. I'm planning on the 9-round mag +1 in the pistol for max concealment with either a 13-round or 10-round as a spare. That's a bunch of 230-grain Gold Dots... short barrel version. The barrel is 3.77"... still kind of short.

I guess that I've spent all of the "savings" from this deal and must have $700 involved with the upgraded parts, HD NS, and two more 10-round mags.

Wynn

Thomas Jefferson said

and

congrats! My son and I both own and carry the 30S. I love the pistol, though mine has developed an issue where it doesn't lock back on empty 10 round mags. Works fine on the 9 rounders I usually use. I carry
    mine in a Garret Industries AIWB.

I usually get a few good range days a month and the 30S is primarily what I train with. However, my wrist cannot handle more then 100 rounds before I start getting pain. I was using a g19 for a while so I could shoot all day, but traded it in for a HK P8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I shot 10 rounds of Underwood +P 230-gr Gold Dots and that was enough of +P. I had to put a Bandaid on my trigger finger again. I almost put my fingerless flight glove on my gun hand, too.

I already have a G23C and a G21 SF, and I got my wife a G19... first a Gen 3, then a Gen 4 to get a smaller grip, but she says it's still too big. She liked shooting the G19 with the .22LR conversion, but she wasn't fond of the 9mm when I switched the pistol to that.

I did have one of the two 9-round mags give me a bit of a problem. Fully loaded with 9 rounds, the bullets rattled in the magazine... moving from front to back. I tested the mag many times and still had the loose rounds. I took a new 13-round magazine spring and cut one coil off. That was the only difference I saw... 10 coils on the 13-rounder springs vs. 9 on the 9-rounder. That stopped the cartridge movement and gives me two for flush-carry mags and 4 10-rounders now

One of the great features about the G30S is that it can use all of the larger double-stack mags... G21 and Kriss 30-rounders, too, though I don't foresee "needing" the latter, I do have some.

Wynn

Thomas Jefferson said

and