Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop   Xssights   Tommy Gun
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Glock G30S and Alien Gear Hybrid Leather-Kydex IWB Holster for 69th BD!

No! I knew that I was going to spend over $200 on sights and upgrades, but it WAS a great deal for $475 FTF.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Congrats! The 30S is sweet!

Thanks. I thought it was time to get more firepower for CC, especially night carry... not that we go out that much.

I think that I'm close to $200 on upgrades and a few more mags... before $120+ on the HD NS. And... I still need to sort out holsters.

It's a good thing that I've been investing in over-sized polos for years. Those large shirts will be just the thing.

Wynn
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Quote Originally Posted by wyntrout View Post
    No! I knew that I was going to spend over $200 on sights and upgrades, but it WAS a great deal for $475 FTF.

Wynn
    Gotta give you credit Wynn. When you do sumpin', you do it right.
    ​O|||||||O

Excellent Wynn! Thank you for the time and effort involved to do such detailed posts
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Thanks, guys. I've been playing with the pistol and snapcaps trying to see how reloading will go. I really can't wait to try the Vickers mag release. The stock one is hard to manipulate! It really takes too much concentration... and with two hands sometimes.

I decided on the Vickers from the description and reviews... AND... because the regular extended mag release is too long without modification on the G21 SF and it's possible to release the mag accidentally with it... and it appears that the extra length could be a problem in some holsters, too.

I already had a Pearce grip plug for a G20/21 SF... and an extra one, since I have another on order. I tried it in the G30S and it will go into the slot but not fit flush with the bottom of the grip. My magazine swapping practice causes it to ride up from the fully inserted position, so this will need something to hold it in place... a screw or silicone or some kind of non-permanent "glue", but it will keep the crud out. I tested it quite a bit with the three different sized mags and found no problems... no interference with the magazine well and mag insertion.

I'm wearing my Looper gun belt and the Alien Gear holster with an extra mag in the Kydex holder around the house to see what that's like. I have a large T-shirt on and if I bring my hands out in front horizontal to the ground, there is printing and it gets worse if I reach up for something, so that's something to watch. I haven't tried with my favorite polos, but will get around to that before a "field test".

I envisioned this fatter pistol as an evening carry and want to get comfortable with it. Sitting with my back against a chair, I'm aware of the thicker mag and pistol, but short term, no problem... "... comforting, not comfortable."

Adding fully loaded mags +1 will make a difference, too, but I'm not ready for that around the house.

I'll eventually get around to some pictures and report on the holster, but I don't have time this evening... got to cook for us... two big Angus ribeyes that Wifey wanted to try... been watching cooking shows and thinks this may be better than her favorite tenderloin... don't think so, but two steaks over an inch thick and totaling just over 3 lbs bone-in ought to give us two meals with the leftovers... with nuked baked potato and green beans. I got those at the Commissary for $5.49 a pound... unreal.

Wynn

Thomas Jefferson said

and

The price is $35.88 plus shipping, so it's not an expensive option... neoprene, not leather, with options for different clips or hooks. Mine has the plastic clips.

Mine is backed with real leather, not the multi-layer with steel insert, so no stitching, and cheaper at under $30!

Glock - 30s Cloak Tuck 2.0 IWB Holster (Inside the Waistband)

Grand Total $44.83
    Subtotal $35.88
    Shipping & Handling (Flat Rate - Fixed) $8.95

http://aliengearholsters.com/glock-3...waistband.html
    Last edited by wyntrout; 07-13-2015 at 04:05 PM.

Thomas Jefferson said

and

I loaded the spare 13-rounder and the 10-rounder in the pistol and have been wearing them for 5-6 hours now. I sure notice them but it's not uncomfortable.

Weights... the pistol weighs 20.35 oz. empty.
    With 9-rd mag + 1 = 30.15 oz.
    and with 10-rd mag + 1 = 31.1 oz.
    The 13-round G21 mag weighs 12.7 full, plus about 2 oz. for the Kydex mag holder.

Wynn

The large ribeye steaks were okay, but I prefer the large T-bones, Porterhouses, and tenderloin. Last the best, of course. When I say large, I mean over an inch thick and well over a pound each.

Thomas Jefferson said

and

With that wide body gun Wynn you really out to look at a Mernickle PS6 OWB. He makes mid ride and low ride but I like the high ride myself. It's not a quick draw rig and if you have shoulder issues or anything it may not be a good choice but the gun rides real high and tight to the body.
    I never wear just a T shirt over it but a button shirt or polo hides it just as well as an IWB.

I wear a steel 1911 in it and honestly have to touch it once in awhile to make sure it's still there.

Your back to lean and mean where I've already got enough of must me under the belt so sometimes IWB just doesn't work.

I was in Reno this last week and discovered that Mernickle was nearby in Fernley. Decided to make a run over and meet Bob and Sherry but had wife call and they were out of town at a show someplace so we went to Virginia City instead. Would have been cool to meet him and see his shop.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

This Alien Gear holster leaves me with a space between the inside of my shorts and my briefs big enough to put my hand in near the small of my back... weird, but not uncomfortable. A G21 mag in an IWB holder could fit there, but I think that would be uncomfortable when sitting back.

It sure made a difference when I loaded the mags... 10 + 0 + 13 just to wear those around the house and get used to the weight.

The pistol weighs 20.35 ounces empty and 31.1 ounces with 10+1. I think I'll carry it with the 9-rounder... 30.15 ounces and the extra mag, a G21 with 13 rounds weighs 12.7 ounces. I have a double-mag holder, too, but that seems to be too much on my belt. My single OWB mag holder weighs only 1.45 ounces and the IWB holster weighs 6.55 ounces.

So, 30.15 +12.7 + 1.45 + 6.55 = 50.85 ounces! For night add a light and then there's my knife and phone. I already felt like I had a duty belt and gear on!

Oh, this holster is made of leather and Kydex.
    Wynn
    Last edited by wyntrout; 08-10-2015 at 11:28 AM.

Thomas Jefferson said

and