Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: unreliable

Question unreliable

"I won't trust my life to a gun that's not 100% reliable". I hear that all the time. Realistically, no gun is 100% reliable but, excluding one old 1911 parts gun, every pistol I own is 99.9% reliable and worthy of my trust. I don't do anything really special. I'm not a gunsmith. I just keep them clean and shoot them as often as I can. I have had to tweak a couple to get them right and I even had to send one in for warranty repair. But am I just lucky? Or am I the norm? What say you? Do all your pistols run or do you have a safe full of finicky fokkers?
    ​O|||||||O

I own 4 semi-autos and 3 revolvers and they all run. I probably wouldn't keep a gun that wasn't reliable.

Dave

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

If my gun fails me at the only time in my life I need it, I guess it was just in the stars.

My old Winchester 290 .22, tube fed, rifle from the 1960s started to feed poorly about 10 years back. It is kind of a pain to really take apart for a thorough cleaning. Upon closer inspection I found that the lead, round nose bullets were sort of smearing lead on the feed ramp. So, I scraped it off and cleaned it up. Runs fine now. Using copper plated rounds seems to keep the feed ramp clean.

I guess I shouldn't concealed carry that one. It gets finicky every 40 years or so.
    Aftermarket accessories for Kahr Pistols at https://lakelinellc.com/
    There are always more in the pipeline...

The only firearm that I have ever had a problem with is my Kahr. It's also the smallest.....................................Never had any issue with any of the other firearms I have owned or own. I shoot them all............I keep each one pristine. I think that if you do that, you eliminate most of the issues that can arise.

All mine are runners. My K40 had a peening issue,Kahr replaced the slide and its been perfect ever since.

I take that back, I have a Hi Power that doesnt run. I know the recoil spring was weak especially after I put a new one in and felt the difference but it still don't run good. I continue to mess with it, just a toy anyhow.

I'm still sorting out my Match Target Woodsman too, shoots and feeds fine but don't reset the striker every other shot.

Anything I would potentially carry is runnung fine and has proven itself. Well my MRI 1911C still needs to prove itself to me but it ran fine for our swat guys, never missed a beat in about 350 rounds when I sent it with them. Fella had a sight move on him so it was a loaner.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Where I work we do a lot of "safety/shutdown" systems, and let me tell you nothing on this planet is 100% reliable. Depending on the hazards involved our clients ask us to design/build systems that are 99, 99.9 and 99.99 percent dependable. 99.99 is what the Nuke power plants have. I'm guessing most "reliable" pistols are in the 99 to 99.9 range. These figures are based upon failure upon demand, does it work when it needs to work. So with a rating of 99, when you need it to work,it will function correctly 99 times out of 100, that is pretty darn good.

But.. it's also the reason I carry a back up. the chances if two 99% reliable guns failing at the same time is 1 in 10,000. I prefer those odds
    NRA Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by kenemoore View Post
    Where I work we do a lot of "safety/shutdown" systems, and let me tell you nothing on this planet is 100% reliable. Depending on the hazards involved our clients ask us to design/build systems that are 99, 99.9 and 99.99 percent dependable. 99.99 is what the Nuke power plants have. I'm guessing most "reliable" pistols are in the 99 to 99.9 range. These figures are based upon failure upon demand, does it work when it needs to work. So with a rating of 99, when you need it to work,it will function correctly 99 times out of 100, that is pretty darn good.

But.. it's also the reason I carry a back up. the chances if two 99% reliable guns failing at the same time is 1 in 10,000. I prefer those odds
    Never really understood the need for a backup in a sd situation. I figure if I have time to draw one, I'd be lucky.

^^^ Yeah but it can't hurt.

I'm suspecting that 99.9% or thereabouts of our guns are 99.9% reliable. Just keeping things in perspective.
    ​O|||||||O

Over the past 50 years I have had 16 handguns 3 of them revolvers. Only got rid of 1 handgun to chronic failure,that was a Beretta .22 21A. Traded it in on a Ruger SP101 .38 Spl. which has been 100% except once when a primer failed , but another trigger pull sent the next round down range. My S&W .357 Mod 19 massively "failed" once. Powder did not ignite (handload using Blue Dot with 125 gr. bullet which is no longer recommended by Alliant). When I opened the cylinder the powder ran down into the crane and I was unable to close the cylinder . Complete side plate dis-assembly at home, cleaned out innerds ,punched out bullet and good to go again. SP101 .22 L.R. has "failed" upon occcasion to ignite primer,but good to go again on next trigger pull. I still have my Kel-Tec .32 which was 100%, until all of a sudden it was not, after 300 rounds. Sent it back, frame was replaced , good to go again. All my other semis have "failed at one time or another, FTF, smokestack, etc., depending on ammo. But easy to tap and rack for next round. So far my Ruger SR9 has never failed , I probably need to shoot it more and use crappy ammo. With Good ammo that my pistols like, and no operator error ,they are all 99.9%. I agree with Kenemoore better a back-up than extra ammo.