Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: unreliable

I don't have any problems with guns because I buy good, sound design, reliable weapons.

You buy a pistol made of Zamac and you get what you deserve....

I had one gun that was a total, unreliable and complete failure, and that was the HK P9s that I owned, failed, was replaced, failed, was replaced again, failed.... and finally HK gave up and actually sent me a refund themselves! These had a particularly thin inner metal frame, and particularly fine thread screws that held the double action levers and bars to the frame. We're talking metal about 1 thick. Single action was great. Shoot much double action and rip the screws right out of the frame. Go figure.

I was young then, when I had that HK. Since then, I've been a Half Fast Engineer, worker of metal, tool designer, production machinery designer, weekend gunsmith, range officer, training instructor....and gotten worked up to half MChief Half Fast Enginner.... which has given me the experience to have a look at the pros and cons of a design, and hopefully guess correctly about its merits and drawbacks.

The Kahr design is a good one, but has its drawbacks, like any. Those being - production tolerance on the new recoil spring (or assembly) and the lack of overtravel of the boltface rearward past the pickup point for the next cartridge. The first forcing the production of new springs to be much stronger than one might expect, the other requiring cartridge rise to be rather snappy. Kahr has addressed those issues adequately, and the result is something that works pretty well after a bit of break in.

Current pistols are BHP's, Colt .45 Auto's of one sort or another, Kahrs, and a smattering of oddballl collectables. Mostly I carry the PM45, which once broken in is utterly relibable in my own experience.

Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    ... I just keep them clean and shoot them as often as I can. ...
    This says it for me. I have 3 pistols. 2 are for carry (Kahr PM9 and Beretta PX4 9mm Compact), and 1 for home defense (Beretta PX4 .45 with Inforce light). All I would trust my life to no worries. Bang bang every time. I shoot a lot and enjoy cleaning my guns from a hobbyist perspective.

For my rifle I went AK74 and went through literally 4 BAD rifles, all of which I returned eventually for a full refund. (2 James River Armory Bulgarian kit builds, and 2 WW/DDI Bulgarian kit builds). Then, THANKFULLY, I bought a Saiga SGL31 AK74 literally 8 days before Obama signed the import ban restricting further Russian imports. Whew! That wonderful rifle runs scary perfect, like a sewing machine and accurate at distance. It is my go to war rifle.

My shotgun I have had since I was 18, a basic Springfield Savage 12 guage modified choke, pump action bird gun. It just works, I have never even thought that it might not work.

If something of mine doesn't work correctly, I get it reliably fixed, or replace it.

Tim

Maybe I am just lucky. All my guns for the last 60 years have been 100% service free. Never had a problem or never had to send one in for repair and my current collection includes 2 Kahrs and 2 Taurus TCPs.

"Do all your pistols run or do you have a safe full of finicky fokkers?" quote by OP

I find the "finicky fokkers" are not the weapons but the first time gun owners that never knew anything about guns before their first purchase. Most of their problems are only imagined or self inflicted.

Quote Originally Posted by CJB View Post
    I don't have any problems with guns because I buy good, sound design, reliable weapons....

I got a couple goofy ones. The Para LDA is the one that needed to go back under warranty. But it's 15 years old and came back perfect so I have no complaints. Based on my pre-buy research my first Kahr was my riskiest purchase. But it paid off in spades so I'm happy I didn't let all that propaganda dissuade me. But you are correct CJB: buy quality and you will be rewarded with quality.

P.S. for anyone seriously lusting for an MK45, the Para LDA 6.45 is as close as you can get. Great trigger...even lighter than a Kahr. Like an MK but with a thumb safety.
    ​O|||||||O

I have a 6.45, a 7.45 and a 14.45 all LDA's. Rarely carry them anymore but for anyone who likes a 1911 except for the hammer back carry the LDA is sweet.

Para seems a little goofy business wise last several years but I got no issues with mine.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Funny, or maybe not so funny, is that Kahrs have been my most problematic pistols, Yet I keep buying them, because most of the time once they get sorted out, or returned to the mothership, they function very reliably. I've been tempted by others, but nothing else in the CW/CM price range come close to my needs and wants as a well functioning Kahr. An S&W Shield might work out ok. I sure like it's big brother, the M&P Pro.
    I kind of wondered what the hell I got myself into when I got my CM45, and had a helluva time just trying to lock the slide back. Thankfully it loosened up quite a bit during the break in.
    That was one gun I wished had a way to grip the slide better, where you could really put some muscle into it.
    One range officer saw me putting a lot of effort into locking the slide back and strolls over and is like here (I could hear him thinking "you old wimp-fart") let me get that for you, so I handed him the pistol, and was very amused as he went from thinking it was going to be a piece of cake, to putting quite a bit of effort into it himself. He finally got the slide locked back, and told me he'd put 500 rounds through it before he would carry it and walked off with a lot less bounce in his step. Probably went back and racked his Glock a few times to make himself feel better. LOL. That place is full of Glock fan boys. Up front in the store, I overheard a conversation once and from the looks on their faces and the tone of what I overheard, I thought they were talking about women, then I heard "Glock". I heard some sentences like "I picked her up the other night, and she was everything I dreamed of", and crap like that. And the dreamy look on their faces just capped it all off. I headed back to the range before I was tempted to look and to see if they were popping tents in their pants.
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.

Popping tents in their pants? I'm writing that down, I could use that now and then.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Unreliable....

Was over on a forum for the KSG. An end-user gets his KSG. He proceeds to modifiy it. Takes it to the range. Doesn't work. Gives it to his "gunsmith", who polishes everything internally (which I doubt). Still doesn't work. Kel-Tec tells the end user to go pound sand over the warranty. Pssst. The problem is his rail accessories not allowing the slide to fully move rearward. Don't tell him that though. He'd rather bask in "unreliable" mode.

Folks get new guns, polish this that and the other thing, not for looks, but for "reliability and smoothness", then wonder about a certain feel to its action, slide or trigger. And I wonder, how did they determine just what needed the polishing? They had the skills to determine that X Y and Z were inadequate, yet cannot determine any cause and effect on their own, once the deed is done? They flip the gun, flip off the manufacturer, and live in the "Unreliable Zone".

One shooter says they have a bad pistol. Its been to the manufacturer three times, and it keeps coming back supposedly fixed. They keep shooting their pet load in it. Wait a second.... you can manufacture ammo from components and not know one diddly rats pattootey about what it is that makes ammo work in certain arms and not others? Its a wonder sometimes. They go by the recipe book. And the book doesn't lie, it knows everything, and they did it just like the book said (with the max load as the starting load no doubt). Living in the Unreliable Land.....

Today.... I'm working with a customer, finding grouund faults in his buried wire. He questions everthing I do, tells me I'm doing it wrong. I find nine faults on one segment, and that segment is about 1700 yards long. Thats long! Two faults are really bad. Those are the ones to correct first. Does he want to? No. He'd rather tell me I don't know what I'm doing. Won't I just try this and that and whatever.... I tell him no. I try to explain the priniples of operation of my equipment (simple stuff really)... but he just doesn't want to face reality, and that reality is - he's got a ten piece length of wire that ought to be one piece, and he's gonna have to excavate in nine places to correct the situtation. No, he wants me to excavate.... Machete don't text. I don't dig (much).

Must be the phase of the moon, or maybe it rained. The worms always come out when it rains.

I shoot my guns. A lot. So I expect there to be some failures and broken parts. Things just happen. Parts wear, springs get weak. If I have chronic issues I can't make go away, I get rid of it. Those have been rare. I only have 2 that have been 100% reliable, that is a S&W Shield and a HI Point CF380. I have a third, the CT380 that has not had any issues either, but it only has a few hundred rounds through it.

Every gun I own works flawlessly or I fix it. All you have to be is smarter than the gun.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380