CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun   Xssights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A good functioning Hollowpoint for CW45

Default A good functioning Hollowpoint for CW45

Hey guys. I've had a CW 45 for about a year and a half since then I've only manged to put around 200 rounds through it. So far the only round that I've shot that feeds reliably was winchester white box 230 grain fmj's. I've had feed issues with federal brass case as well federal aluminum case fmj's. I'm currently using the gun as a bed side H.D. gun and have it loaded with winchester white box 230 grain fmj's but I want to switch to a hollow point. I guess my question is do any of you guys know of a good feeding hollow point that will work well in the cw 45? I've read golden sabers are suppose to feed well (especially in 1911's) but I've read on several forums that cw 45's don't like em. I realize that everyone gun has its own personality I'm just looking for some recommendations so I can do some reliability testing.

Mine handles gold dots well.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

I agree that the golden sabers work better than most in the GI spec 1911's. They have more of a round point profile. But... you're gonna have to try a few to determine what works in your machine.
    NRA Benefactor

For defensive ammo I use Gold Dot JHP (standard pressure, not +P). That runs reliably in my CW45. I also use a 1911 mag (for the flush bottom) with the Kahr spring and follower, so I tried several different brands, and the Gold Dots work best for me. HST JHP also runs well in my CW45.
    Dan Wesson 1911 Valkyrie Commander
    Kahr K9 Elite 03, CW45, CW9
    Glock 19 Gen4 and Gen5
    Sig P225-A1, P320C 9mm, SP2022 9mm
    S&W 1911 SC-e scandiium frame
    S&W 686 Plus 3" .357 Magnum Talo Edition Revolver
    S&W M&P Shield 9 Performance Center, Shield .45, 9mm Compact 2.0
    S&W M&P 40 FS (Detroit PD)
    S&W SW22 Victory
    RIA 1911 22TCM/9mm FS Ultra, 1911 .45 FS Tactical
    CZ 75D Compact PCR 9mm

I have found that hollow point in the short barreled 45 acp don't always work so well. Out of my full size 1911 (5 inch) they seem to do ok, out of my 2 Taurus Millennium (3 inch) most do not expand. I have only had my CW45 a very short time, and have not put any hollow points through it yet, but I expect it to perform like my Taurus, same length barrel.

The Hornady XTP in the 185 grain performs as good as any and better than most.

In my opinion, you are better served with a truncated cone bullet in the short barreled 45's. The flat nose kind of acts like a plow.

CorBon Pow'RBall feeds like hard ball and is the only H.P. type that will 100% cycle in my CW45 and Colt Officers 45. Tests indicate it expands well from short barrels and due to the lower velocity from the short barrel should offer adequate penetration. I do not use this round in .45 barrels over 3.5" due to under penetration. Barrels 4" and longer, no particular preference, but mostly use Federal HST, Gold Dots, Golden Saber. None of those fed reliably in my CW45.

Hornady Critical Defense or Critical Duty. 100% reliability.
    Wake Up...Grow Up...Show Up...Sit Up...Shut Up...Listen Up

Hey guys thanks for the replies. As far as short barrel 45 ammo I've seen some test using the xds (3.3" barrel) and they got around .75" expansion along with about 13-14" penetration with the standard gold dot 230 grain as well as gold dot short barrel 230 grain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoH4CMg1Shg

For now I guess I'll try out the Gold Dots and Hornady critical defense. Thanks again for the input!

Speer Gold Dot 230gr HP works great. I DO NOT recommend Hornady Critical Defense! I had several FTF with this ammo, I had carried the CW45 for months and upon drawing it and executing a function test into soft dirt, all I got was a CLICK. This happened on several occasions.

Here is the Speer Gold Dot 230gr JHP that I fired into the ground last nite, a periodic function test of the firearm and ammo, make sure it goes bang, at least 2x a year I do this. Today I fished the bullet out it had penetrated 8" into the dense North Carolina red clay in the back yard, and left a golfball sized channel leading to the base of the bullet. I could not ask for more perfect bullet performance, it measures a whopping .720" in diameter and retains 229.1gr of it's weight.

Last edited by DougGuy; 07-04-2015 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Speer Gold Dot 230gr HP works great. I DO NOT recommend Hornady Critical Defense! I had several FTF with this ammo, I had carried the CW45 for months and upon drawing it and executing a function test into soft dirt, all I got was a CLICK. This happened on several occasions.

Here is the Speer Gold Dot 230gr JHP that I fired into the ground last nite, a periodic function test of the firearm and ammo, make sure it goes bang, at least 2x a year I do this. Today I fished the bullet out it had penetrated 8" into the dense North Carolina red clay in the back yard, and left a golfball sized channel leading to the base of the bullet. I could not ask for more perfect bullet performance, it measures a whopping .720" in diameter and retains 229.1gr of it's weight.

I would have to agree with DougGuy, I tried the critical defense a couple of years ago in my CW45 and I ran into problems. Once a round was chambered it would take everything I had to pull the slide back to get the rnd to eject. I have shot several types of ammo and the Hornady critical defense is the only one I had issues with. Now that I have 7 or 800 rnds through the pistol I was thinking of trying it again.... But otherwise I have had good luck with, the good old fashioned 230 grn Federal Hydra Shock with over a 100 of those without any issue. And I have also had a good experience with Sig V-crown ammo. As far as plinking ammo goes American Eagle has done real well as the mojority of the ammo shot. With only a few hic ups early on in the break in period.