Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Xssights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New CT380 barrel pitted

Default New CT380 barrel pitted

On June 26, I picked up my new CT380 from a Gallery of Guns merchant, inspecting it thoroughly (I thought).

While doing my initial cleaning, I found that the barrel is pitted (see image URL below).

I emailed the picture to Kahr and will talk to them Monday about sending in the barrel.

Has anybody else found a problem like this?

http://home.comcast.net/~cliffwatts/...rel defect.jpg

We had one other member with a pitted barrel problem, but I can't remember who it was. Try doing an advanced search for, "pitted barrel". It may have been HarryLee.
    Last edited by muggsy; 06-28-2015 at 06:02 AM.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Yes, that barrel should be replaced. No telling what other imperfections there might be under the surface.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

How right you are muggsy it was me. Had to replace the barrel on my CM9 due to my fault but we’re not getting in to that. So I didn’t think anything of getting a new barrel and swapping it out till I got the new barrel and started to clean it was full of packing grease so you couldn’t tell and first glance. The I got it clean that’s when my eyes bugged out. The one on that ct380 looks perfect compared to the one I got. They did make good on it but when I talked to them they had no idea what happened to the barrel they sent me. And yes all the barrels should be checked before sending out. So here is the first new barrel they sent me, did tell them I’d seen better looking barrels that where sitting on the bottom of the lake for a year, did get a chuckle from that. Anyway all is good now

Attached Images Attached Images
    Rest in peace old sailor Mike
    In Memory of Mom: Standing 4'11" She would say come here so I can hit you as I looked down at her
    As my Olde buddy Jake said point at the belt buckle and muzzle rise will take care of the rest
    Live a little learn a lot

I am amazed Muggsey has not commented, or perhaps he just disagrees.... dunno.

Neither of those two examples look "pitted" to me. They both look like defects that occur in nickel plating.

Top example - Cliffattheshack's - the photo seems to show a piece "missing" with rough edges. The key part of the "non-pitted" scenario is not whats missing, but what was under it. Notice how smooth it is? The substrate, the steel of the barrel is smooth. That's not pitting. Its a case of flaked off plating. Notice the edges of the crater, the edges are more or less "even" in thickness. Pitting does not occur like that. I'm almost positive what you're seeing is a barrel that had some contamination prior to plating. Plating looks a hair on the heavy side, but maybe not, the photo can be a bit hard to judge. And, you can see a few "islands" of plating still attached in the interior of the crater. Probably places where there was no contamination. Important to note that this is not a dangerous situation, but... would cause aggrivation with picking up bits of jacket and lead. And.... I dare say, it would probably smooth itself out in time. But....I suspect Kahr will replace it.

Next example -

I did comment and I don't disagree. You need to work on your reading skills, not to mention your manners. The inside of the barrel doesn't need to be plated as the bullets fired through it are not made of stainless steel and won't cause galling. You might see a little leading with lead bullets, but lead is relatively easy to remove. Kahr Arms should replace the barrel as it isn't up to there high standards.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Having had the opportunity to examine in person Harrylee`s cm9 barrels, allow me to make these observations:
    The original cm9 barrel was perfect (as close to perfection as can be reasonably expected from a man made object).
    After an "incident", which i wont go into at this time, "pitting" was seen in the barrel. Since i am not a metallurgist, nor a gun smith, i can not say for sure that "pitting" is the correct term, but it was obviously damaged.
    As i happened to visit on the day he received the replacement barrel i had the chance to see it up close, with several magnifying glasses, and let me tell ya, it was nasty. Outside was just fine, but from end to end inside there was "pitting" from muzzle to chamber.
    The third barrel, looked as good as the original, originally.
    As for the op`s barrel, i would think that Kahr will replace it without hesitation.
    In memory of great-grammy; never understood a word she yelled in polish, but we all knew what she meant.

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    We had one other member with a pitted barrel problem, but I can't remember who it was. Try doing an advanced search for, "pitted barrel". It may have been HarryLee.

Muggsey, this is what you wrote. I have not the faintest idea why you responded with ardent disrespect for my reading and etiquette skills.

In fact, I was more or less suggesting that your vast experience, second only to my own, would have you in perfect agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by CJB View Post
    Muggsey, this is what you wrote. I have not the faintest idea why you responded with ardent disrespect for my reading and etiquette skills.

In fact, I was more or less suggesting that your vast experience, second only to my own, would have you in perfect agreement.
    Sorry CJB, I misunderstood what you were saying. No harm, no foul. I apologize for my error.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Accepted good chap! Have a frosty whatever, put it on my tab!