CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: P380 vs CW380 - what are the actual differences?

Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    One of these days I'll break down and buy a CT380 even though I don't need one at all. That's how good they are.
    Had not looked at the CT380 at all yet, thanks for bringing that up. hmmm... did a little research, and it seems to be a little bigger, at first glance looks same size as the PM9. so I'm confused about the purpose of it's design... is the goal to have a soft shooting pm9 being .380?

Update on CT380 vs CW380 - ok, I get it... this is a great article on it - http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2...80-review.html

So looks like the CT380 is longer and taller, but same exact width as the CW380, so easier to shoot.

Dan.

I held them side by side and had to have the P model.

Quote Originally Posted by DansGunBlog View Post
    Update on CT380 vs CW380 - ok, I get it... this is a great article on it - http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2...80-review.html

So looks like the CT380 is longer and taller, but same exact width as the CW380, so easier to shoot.

Dan.
    Exactly. For me the "thin" factor is what's attractive.
    ​O|||||||O

One difference I thought about last night is that because the front sight is dovetailed, you have a broader choice of night sights if you want to go that route. Otherwise your choice on night sights are from Kahr, or I think Dawson Precision. It's a minor point, and probably not worthy of consideration given how good a deal the CW is, but if you have money burning a hole in your pocket, and you like Big Dot XS sights for instance, the P series might be for you.

And yes, thin is in. The Kahr 380 just disappears from sight and weight and bulge. I now carry it IWB. Very easy. Used to carry it in pocket, but it weighed the pants down a little. On the belt, no issue. And easy shooter.

Stick to round nose ammo for practice and XTP or Hornady Critical Defense or Lehigh Controlled Fracture for personal defense rounds, and you're going to be pleased with the gun. The slide lock sometimes needs a little fitting (read filing) to optimize slide lock and prevent premature slide lock. Avoid the extended mags IMHO. If you were counting on using the extended mags, maybe consider the CT version instead. And I highly recommend the Magguts for the mags to increase capacity by one. Only had one problem with them where the plastic piece on the locking plate broke. They replaced that for free. So you can have a 7+1 gun with Magguts, no extended mag (which can foul up the feed if finger pressure on the mag tilts the mag ever so slightly, which happens I think).

I bought my P380 when the CW380 had just been announced but was still unavailable. The latter didn't finally come out until nearly a year later. Had it come out right after my purchase I'd have had serious buyer's remorse, for I paid a pretty penny for the P380 and honestly there's nothing it can do that the much cheaper CW380 can't. On a pocket pistol you do not need polygonal rifling, a dovetailed front sight or a forged slide stop. Few people hang onto the plastic case, and spare magazines can be purchased anytime. The rounded edges on the P380 are nice compared to the chiseled look of the CW380, but for the cost difference it's a small thing.

What I've also noticed is that used P380s often sell for nearly the same amount as a used CW380, since most buyers aren't going to pay more for the frivolous "extra" features causing gun dealers to discount them heavily. Bad news if you're a P380 owner looking to sell yours, but good news if you're shopping for one and don't mind rolling the dice on a pre-owned Kahr just to have the upgraded version.

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

Quote Originally Posted by dsk View Post
    What I've also noticed is that used P380s often sell for nearly the same amount as a used CW380, since most buyers aren't going to pay more for the frivolous "extra" features causing gun dealers to discount them heavily. Bad news if you're a P380 owner looking to sell yours, but good news if you're shopping for one and don't mind rolling the dice on a pre-owned Kahr just to have the upgraded version.
    Not here in California.
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

I also bought my P380 shortly after the CW was announced, but long before I ever saw one in person. It was technically used, but didn't look as though it had ever been fired, has the black slide, and already had Trijicon night sights installed (front and rear). I got it for about $600, which was more than I probably should've spent at the time, but damned if it hasn't become my most often carried and well loved little pistol. Keep it in a pocket most of the time, with a CT 7 round mag in a small case on my belt. Hasn't let me down yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobshouse View Post
    Not here in California.
    Since they're basically the same gun is the reason Commiefornia gives simply that it's not expensive enough to prevent enough people from purchasing it?

CW comparison at Kahr.com. I don't know if they have a direct comparison with the .380's, but the differences are pointed out here:

http://www.kahr.com/cw-series.asp#comparison

I would buy a real P380 in DLC with NS, the actual P380 is really a PM-type and the CT is the P-model. I really liked the feel of the CT380, but wanted a "Premium-model" with DLC and NS.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".