Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Curious about magazine capacities

Default Curious about magazine capacities

Curious why Kahr does not offer any high-capacity firearms. I wouldn't mind seeing one of the polymer framed models offered in a 10 or 12 round magazine. Might make for a decent law enforcement sidearm (or personal protection gun) if they were reliable.

Because thin is in...
    ​O|||||||O

They have their niche, and do it well.... some would say they do it best.

Thin equals single stack, plain and simple.

Sherman, set the WABAC Machine to the year 1988. Here we'll find a frustrated Justin Moon, having recently gotten his carry permit, and having nothing which he felt suitable for concealed carry.

Advancing the lever to about mid 1990, we see Justin working out the design details of what will become the Kahr pistol in a few years time. As you can see, he is working on the dual lobe cocking cam being rotated by the trigger bar, and the trigger being pulled as its nestled under the offset feed ramp, in order to keep the pistol as thin as possible.

Small, reliable, accurate, thin, and finally... light weight are the design goals.

Just thought it was interesting that many handgun manufacturers offer a range of handguns with mixed capacities and Kahr does not.
    Nothing wrong with having a limited selection. For the longest Glock only offered high-cap handguns.

Oh and I realize single stacked equals thin. Plus, I cannot agree that Kahr does this well or the best.
    Kahr has some nice designs, but they are a long way from doing it well with all the out of the box issues customers have experienced.
    Requiring a 200 round break-in period is unique and really shouldn't be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by CJB View Post

Sherman, set the WABAC Machine to the year 1988. Here we'll find a frustrated Justin Moon, having recently gotten his carry permit, and having nothing which he felt suitable for concealed carry.

Advancing the lever to about mid 1990, we see Justin working out the design details of what will become the Kahr pistol in a few years time. As you can see, he is working on the dual lobe cocking cam being rotated by the trigger bar, and the trigger being pulled as its nestled under the offset feed ramp, in order to keep the pistol as thin as possible.

Small, reliable, accurate, thin, and finally... light weight are the design goals.
    +1
    one more very important quality - simplicity. You squeeze the trigger.
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

Quote Originally Posted by Coppertop View Post
    Just thought it was interesting that many handgun manufacturers offer a range of handguns with mixed capacities and Kahr does not.
    Nothing wrong with having a limited selection. For the longest Glock only offered high-cap handguns.

Oh and I realize single stacked equals thin. Plus, I cannot agree that Kahr does this well or the best.
    Kahr has some nice designs, but they are a long way from doing it well with all the out of the box issues customers have experienced.
    Requiring a 200 round break-in period is unique and really shouldn't be necessary.
    Your curiosity is justified. But Kahr has done very well being specialized. At some point, in order to keep growing, they may have to expand into double-stacks. IIRC our own Jocko predicts that to be soon.

I cannot ignore your last statement as much as I tried. Any sound shooter requires a break-in period of their firearms regardless of what the manufacturer recommends. Anyone who complains about the break in is lacking some experience IMHO. It's good for the owner = work thru any bugs in the pistol or themselves. And it's good for the company = filters out those pistols that didn't need to come back = all they needed was for the gun and owner to mate up. That last point is good for everyone. Imagine how backlogged the service department could get. Then you'd all be complaining about that.
    ​O|||||||O

I'm with b4 on this. Every gun needs a break in period. Kahr is one of the few that openly admits it.
    As stated Glock was the other end of the spectrum, nothing but wide bodies. The jury is still out as to weather they are in the thin is in game. Some say yes, some are undecided. Don't matter to me, I'm not partial to them myself although I've owned probably 10 at one time or another. To some they are the cats meow and that's good.

I have a brand new MRI 1911C, it has about 300 rounds through it with not a single issue but it's not broken in by me. I have not shot one round through it.
    Until it gets a couple hundred shots with my finger on the trigger, we're not mates. I have to content myself with just fondling it. Hopefully we mate up soon, I want to carry it badly.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Coppertop View Post
    For what its worth word is out that unless your gun blows up or something Kimber wont talk to you abount warranty work on one of their high end 1911's until you have 500 rounds down the pipe. Just call that $200 worth of break-in.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/