CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: You need a red dot for your shotgun? Really? For home defense?

Default You need a red dot for your shotgun? Really? For home defense?

I saw this issue on another forum.

Guy gets himself a pistol grip shotty, 12g, with 18.5 inch barrel and extended mag that just protrudes from the end of the barrel. I dunno , wassat hold..... 6 shot total?

So, he's got a single point sling, a forward grip, a shell carrier, and now wants a red dot optical sight - all for home defense. Gonna sit it between his bed and nightstand.

And I'm thinin' to myself.... really... you need all that? You can't hit a bull in the backside at room or hallway distance without any of that? You can't hit 'em, but you got the time to activate the sight and get aquisition on a moving subject?

Is there a sub genre of mall ninja thats known as the home ninja? I mean to each his own choice of poison, but this seems a bit over the top to me.

Yea, sounds pretty stupid. Guess he just wants to piss away money and impress his friends.

When it comes to home defense shotguns, the simpler the better IMHO. A couple of extra rounds makes sense. But I don't even want a pistol grip as a conventional stock is a natural pointer. But we all gotta spend our money...
    ​O|||||||O

Call me old school, But I'm just an old man, with old shotgun and an old world attitude that breaking into my house in the middle of the night is the last thing you should ever do...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I was once asked if I was "a paranoid for carrying my Kahr".
    "Nope" I said, "just prepared".
    " prepared for what" he asked?
    "more stuff than you are"
    God Bless our Troups!

Default Don't need no stinking sights with a shotgun

I can easily hip shoot my pistol grip 12 gauge Mossy 500, loaded with slugs and hit someone across a room.
    Blown apart mannequins like that with style on private property.
    Last edited by Barth; 07-06-2015 at 07:38 PM.

I believe the term is "tacti-cool" for all the add ons these days. There is nothing functional about most of the crap on the market but it makes the "shooter" look cool in their own eyes.

Is it okay if I add a sling to my Mossberg 500?

Dave

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    Is it okay if I add a sling to my Mossberg 500?

Dave
    You go right ahead there Dave. Enjoy! I think CJB's example crossed the line with the sight since shotguns are point and shoot firearms by definition. That makes all the stuff seem sorta silly. But there's something to be said for add-ons that make sense. One of these days I'm gonna assemble a gun similar to yours: take an 870 youth .20 gauge and add a mag extension and a light. It'll have a wood stock so nobody can accuse me of being tacticool.
    ​O|||||||O

Hey I got no problem with a sling. I put slings on almost all my long guns, and truth be told, my two Remmy 870 riot guns have slings, but not for home use, as I can't see marchin' around the domicile or accompanying landholdings with 'em. By way of explanation, I got them when I spent a lot of time in even deeper woods, on horseback or ATV, and they were handy camp and carry around guns, which we all had great fun with.

Normally.... I don't think a sling is needed for a home defense gun... too likely to get hung up on something, ya know? Even if that something is me!!

I can see "maybe" a laser sight....but really... you need that on a shotty? Crap, if shot #1 just wing's em a little, go for shot #2, #3, etc. until the threat is neutralized.

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

A red dot on a shotgun? Sure! You are not supposed to "aim" a shotgun, but a red dot helps you "point". Lots of guys use them on the trap and skeet fields. But, again, why the heck would you want to practice with a shotgun? a .45? or even a 9mm? We all know you don't need to practice, just point in the general direction and pull the trigger.