Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Savage 93R17 .17HMR

Question Savage 93R17 .17HMR

I have no clue what sparked it but I really want a bolt rifle in .17HMR. It would be too easy to go and buy a new Savage. Any great used ones out there I should look for first? Requirements:
    • Heavy target barrel
    • wood stock
    • good trigger

Thanks!
    ​O|||||||O

The Savage is a great rifle, I like mine very much.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Yes, I've been interweb researching and the Savage keeps popping up as a favorite. And it's pretty inexpensive to boot. Now it's time to go handle a few. Thanks!
    ​O|||||||O

Check the Ruger American Rimfire. I have one in 22lr and for the money it is a great rifle with an adjustable trigger.

If you have young shooters the changeable butt stock modules are a great feature.

http://www.ruger.com/products/americ...index.html?r=y
    "Never pet a burning dog"

Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    Yes, I've been interweb researching and the Savage keeps popping up as a favorite. And it's pretty inexpensive to boot. Now it's time to go handle a few. Thanks!
    Well come on over you can hold mine all ya want.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by 340pd View Post
    Check the Ruger American Rimfire. I have one in 22lr and for the money it is a great rifle with an adjustable trigger.

If you have young shooters the changeable butt stock modules are a great feature.

http://www.ruger.com/products/americ...index.html?r=y
    Thanks. I'm a fan of their 77/ rifles. I got a good deal on a 77/357 a while back but I had to put a wood stock on it. I'm not sure the American Rimfire is worthy of that expense. But I'll take a look.
    ​O|||||||O

Default Browning T-bolt?

My only beef with the Savage is the stock. I'm a sucker for good looking walnut and you just cannot get that with the Savage. So I'm ratcheting up the ladder looking at laminate, stainless barrels, etc. and the price is edging up over $400. That makes it time to look at other more expensive options. The T-bolts are beautiful and the action is really slick. But their interweb accuracy reputation isn't that stellar. My biggest concern is I will spend more money and be less satisfied. Any reasons I should stay away from a Browning?
    ​O|||||||O

The stock on that Savage is actually wood, I know I was surprised. I don't know what's under that black paint, I've been tempted to look. My guess is it's probably Birch which makes a fine very strong stock, some say better than walnut but sometimes isn't visually appealing.

I had one fella bring me an old winchester 22 and wanted the stock refinished. It had that fake looking stain to make it look like wood grain? It had the most beautiful walnut stock under there, it was a crime to paint over it.
    It was presentation grade big time. He was so happy.

If I thought there was a 1 percent chance of finding something like that on my Savage I'd be stripping paint now.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

If you want to spend a few more $ look at the CZ lineup. Accurate, nice wood, a few configuration options.

http://cz-usa.com/product-category/rifles/rimfire/
    "Never pet a burning dog"

Quote Originally Posted by 340pd View Post
    If you want to spend a few more $ look at the CZ lineup. Accurate, nice wood, a few configuration options.

http://cz-usa.com/product-category/rifles/rimfire/

Great recommendation. I own a 527 in .223 and really like it. The set trigger is GREAT and the accuracy is very good.... BUT... the bolt action is pretty rough and the receiver is kinda weak. If you snug down the rear scope mount, the CZ bolt starts to bind pretty bad. Back it off until it quits binding and the mount is loose. With that in mind, I strongly recommend their carbine models for those who want to shoot open sights. I'm sure the bolt will get smoother in time. But, for scoped shooting, I am looking for something else.
    ​O|||||||O