Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bore Snake Advice Needed

Default Bore Snake Advice Needed

I am meticulous about cleaning my handguns. I clean them after every range trip, regardless of how many rounds I fire.

I recently purchased Hoppes Viper Bore Snakes that I want to incorporate into my cleaning regimen. The rods, patch loops,patches, brushes and jags are getting to be tedious, and I'm looking for a simpler solution.

My question is, are these bore snakes intended to be used dry without any cleaning solvent, or would I spray down the bore with my cleaning solvent (I use mostly M-Pro 7) and then run the snake through?

I can't find this information in the instructions that came with the snakes.

I welcome advice.
    Dan Wesson 1911 Valkyrie Commander
    Kahr K9 Elite 03, CW45, CW9
    Glock 19 Gen4 and Gen5
    Sig P225-A1, P320C 9mm, SP2022 9mm
    S&W 1911 SC-e scandiium frame
    S&W 686 Plus 3" .357 Magnum Talo Edition Revolver
    S&W M&P Shield 9 Performance Center, Shield .45, 9mm Compact 2.0
    S&W M&P 40 FS (Detroit PD)
    S&W SW22 Victory
    RIA 1911 22TCM/9mm FS Ultra, 1911 .45 FS Tactical
    CZ 75D Compact PCR 9mm

I usually just run mine through dry. I generally just use the bore snake when the gun is generally clean, but maybe I fired a few shots or haven't shot for a while and I just want to swab it out.

I sometimes use it as a final step in the cleaning process to insure the bore is clean and solvent/oil free.

That being said I use them alot. One trick somebody here shared was to run it up through the mag well and then down the bore (when the gun is assembled), this also cleans the feed ramp really nice.

Mostly I use mine on my 22 rifles or others than can't be cleaned from the breach end.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I guess old habits die hard for me. I have a bore snake and altho I used it for a while, I quit. Tried it every way I could think of but didn't feel comfortable with the results. After a few uses it seemed awful dirty to be used to clean with. I also use M-Pro 7. Decided to put it in a small wash bag and have my wife wash it with a load of laundry. This was a few weeks ago and we are just now speaking again!!! Kids, don't try this at home!!!! As in so many things I think it's a matter of preference.

It's really good for small bore rifles IMHO. I usually wet the first few inches with Hoppes then pull it through several times. Seems to work pretty well but I'm not sure if it's supposed to be used that way. I use brushes and patches for any large bores and for handguns. Good question.

Good tip on the magwell thing there Colonel. Thanks!
    ​O|||||||O

I use a Q-tip to coat the inside of the barrel with solvent
    I use a toothbrush and solvent to scrub the feed-ramp and breech face
    I wipe the exterior of the barrel with a half-sheet of paper towel
    I use the same half-sheet folded lengthwise and twisted into a snake and run through the barrel to remove the excess grime
    I run a dry bore snake through barrel, repeat

The solvent breaks down the crud. The towel removes the bulk of the crud. The bore snake stays clean and lasts longer.
    NRA Life Member

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Col Jeff Cooper

what the colonel siad is what I alwAYS DO. i RUN IT UP THE bottom of the grip and then thru the barrel, this will dlean the ramp sp;iffy clean. If I am home I usually put the metal end peace in my vise and thenI can really stroke the barrel back and forth with ease and speed. I do put a drop of oil on the snake to cover, as I just don';t clean it with #9 like I should I have been using the TICO rod on my shotguns for over 25 years. Best cleaning tool I ever have had. comes apart so stores with my side by side ad to me cleans as good as anything I have ever had.

Can u get a handgun cleaner with solvent and brushs? Probably so, but IMO a waste of energy. try the vise methond if u have one, it will reallyclean fast and when u hit that brush part inside the bore snake u can then continue to go back and forthg where utterwise, it is very hard to do that manually trying tohold on the the weapon and and work the snake back and forth..Best damn invention since condoms. Just sayin
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    what the colonel siad is what I alwAYS DO. i RUN IT UP THE bottom of the grip and then thru the barrel, this will dlean the ramp sp;iffy clean. If I am home I usually put the metal end peace in my vise and thenI can really stroke the barrel back and forth with ease and speed. I do put a drop of oil on the snake to cover, as I just don';t clean it with #9 like I should I have been using the TICO rod on my shotguns for over 25 years. Best cleaning tool I ever have had. comes apart so stores with my side by side ad to me cleans as good as anything I have ever had.

Can u get a handgun cleaner with solvent and brushs? Probably so, but IMO a waste of energy. try the vise methond if u have one, it will reallyclean fast and when u hit that brush part inside the bore snake u can then continue to go back and forthg where utterwise, it is very hard to do that manually trying tohold on the the weapon and and work the snake back and forth..Best damn invention since condoms. Just sayin
    I hadn't thought of that, but isn't the snake designed to be used sequentially in one direction? I know I'm probably over-thinking this...
    Glock 19 Gen4 and Gen5
    S&W SW22 Victory
    CZ 75D Compact PCR 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I usually just run mine through dry. I generally just use the bore snake when the gun is generally clean, but maybe I fired a few shots or haven't shot for a while and I just want to swab it out.

I sometimes use it as a final step in the cleaning process to insure the bore is clean and solvent/oil free.

That being said I use them alot. One trick somebody here shared was to run it up through the mag well and then down the bore (when the gun is assembled), this also cleans the feed ramp really nice.

Mostly I use mine on my 22 rifles or others than can't be cleaned from the breach end.
    No chance that the brass bristles on the brush portion of the snake could scratch or otherwise damage the highly-polished feed ramps on some guns?
    Glock 19 Gen4 and Gen5
    S&W SW22 Victory
    CZ 75D Compact PCR 9mm

Usually the bristle part doesn't even contact the ramp as you pull enough slack to get the brass end started down the barrel. If it did contact it certainly wouldn't damage the feed ramp, it's not that hard and your not able to put that much pressure on it.

I've never tried Jocko's patented back and forth stroke method with the bore snake. Being it's soft I wouldn't think it would do any harm. Especially in a pistol. The barrel so short most folks clean from either end without thought.

When I'm solventing and brushing I go back and forth. When I get to patches I try to stay one direction to push the bad stuff out and not drag it back through.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I only use bore snakes when I'm at the range. After a session, I run a bore snake through while everything is still hot, using the through the mag well method. Works really well when every thing is still hot. I started doing this with my carry piece, after a range session, I would run the snake through then reload with SD ammo, re-holster and good to go, at least until I got home for a real cleaning. This worked so well, I do it with everything now. I still use the patches and jags at home, but it doesn't seem to take as many passes to get a clean witness patch.
    NRA Benefactor