Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Postscript: Final Verdict on the CW380

Default Postscript: Final Verdict on the CW380

From a fit, feel and accuracy point of view the Kahr CW380 is a fantastic weapon. The slim profile and lightweight design makes it a great off-duty gun and from 10 yards in, the gun is spot on.

While I am impressed with the CW380, if you are considering buying one understand you will need a lot of patience.

I know that many will disagree with my opinion but, it is ridiculous to expect consumers to blow through 200 rounds of ammo to "break-in" the weapon. That places a $80+ cost on the consumer that shouldn't be necessary. A gun should leave the manufacturer in a reliable state. You should be able to take the gun out of the box, load it up and shoot it without any concerns about functioning.

The only break-in period that should exist with a weapon is the owner getting accustomed to the weapon such as point of aim, recoil and basic handling. The gun should not require the consumer to break it in from a functioning point of view.

I understand the position of spring tolerances and the engineering points of who disagree with my position. However, since buying the Kahr I have also purchased a Sig P238 and Ruger LCP. Both of these weapons functioned reliably right out of the box. I have owned a large number of firearms in my lifetime and the CW380 is the only weapon that did not function properly out of the box.

The other issue is Kahr's customer service. I had to have the gun sent to Kahr twice fix a trigger pivot pin that would not seat right. It ended up being a faulty frame. I have since received the gun back from Kahr and while it functions properly, the slide stop is now broken. At some point during the 50 rounds I shot this morning, the half-moon portion of this piece snapped off. I will simply order a replacement part and not worry with customer service.

Emails would go un-answered and when I called the Kahr representative acted as if I was bothering them. When it came down to having the frame replaced, Kahr seemed to care less that I might face a transfer fee from the dealer. I understand the transfer fee is a ATF regulation, but Kahr could have easily recommended I check with the dealer I purchased the gun from and maybe have the fee waived. Instead, Kahr took an "it's not my fault" attitude.

I will have to say one Kahr representative, Matt, came across as wanting to help. But other than Matt, I didn't think anyone could give a rip about customer retention.

Once I replace the slide stop, the CW380 will find a home in my gun safe until I find something to trade it for. I really like the design of the CW380 and see this pistol having tremendous potential. However, I think Kahr cuts corners and doesn't fully understand that we buy these weapons to be reliable right out of the box. Reliability that our lives could be depending on.

If you happened to have better luck than I have, congratulations on owning a nice handgun. Should anyone take a chance on the CW380, I wish you luck. I think for every nightmare you read about these guns, there is at least one positive. Breaking even on customer satisfaction should never be acceptable to any manufacturer.

I jumped on to these forums to tap into the insight of those who have "been there, done that" and found a host of knowledgeable members. I doubt I'll have a need to post here any longer but want to thank those who have helped me sort this mess out.

Default Postscript: Final Verdict on the CW380

I think that's a fair post. My CW380 didn't work out either (600 + rounds and a trip back to Kahr but still had failures to return to battery) but I've stuck around here because the regular/long time posters are great guys who freely share their advice and counsel on lots of different gun issues. I don't currently own a Kahr but would like to pick up a K9.

Dave

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Admittedly that is a LOT of grief for a brand new gun. Sorry it didn't work out. A friend likes my cw380 and might want to buy yours if the price is right. Are you interested in selling or just want to hold onto it until you find something to trade it for?
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBurn View Post
    A friend likes my cw380 and might want to buy yours if the price is right. Are you interested in selling or just want to hold onto it until you find something to trade it for?
    Not sure. Need to wait for the replacement slide lock to get here and go from there.

Fair enough. Hope you stick around anyway.
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

No excuse for poor customer service. I read all of your posts and agree with all your comments and decision.

+1 on Matt. He was who I spoke with on my CW45 frame issue. He was very helpful.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

What half moon piece on the slide stop? Trying to visualize.....

Quote Originally Posted by CJB View Post
    What half moon piece on the slide stop? Trying to visualize.....
    It is the half-moon portion that keeps the slide lock from sliding out of the frame unless you line things up just right. Normally you would line up the to hash marks to remove the slide lock to disassemble the gun. I can now push the slide lock out of the frame regardless of the slide's position.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've always been well-served by emails with pictures of the problem. Calls are like demands for immediate attention from busy people, while emails can be read and addressed as the workload allows. I've always had replacement parts sent quickly for documented failures, as your slide lock lever.

My last problem was ALL of my NINE PM45 mags either failing outright... at one time... from spring brittleness or being the wrong magazine springs... 5 or 6 round springs in the 7-round mags. CS wanted me to "just return the springs for replacement" but I called and got Matt and explained that the mags were okay except for the springs and that I had replaced a few with my spare springs and didn't want to send all of my mags in when replacement springs would fix them. He sent me 9 new springs... the proper ones.

Every new polymer pistol from Kahr went back at least once... my first P380 twice, my second P380 (for wifey) once, and my my PM45 5 times... Franken Boomer, as everything was replaced at least once... except the slide lock lever... even the frame. I'm happy with all 5 of my remaining polymer Kahrs.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".