Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1927A1 Feed issues and broken firing pin

Default 1927A1 Feed issues and broken firing pin

Good Day folks
    My Son and I have matching 1927A1 Semi auto Tommy's. Mine was built in 2012 near as I can see. I have had stovepipes and feed issues randomly. My sons works nearly flawless. Mine went back to factory gunsmiths once to check and tune, only adjusted it. No parts were replaced as they advised.
    Fathers day we go shoot as a family. Dads failed miserably and broke the firing pin. Sons worked fine, with only a couple stovepipes all day, shooting a couple hundred rounds. I'm not trying to fast fire either, malfunctions randomly and slow fire.
    Looking for tips, and ideas to make mine more reliable. I ordered a new firing pin, I got two from Numerich that are wrong. Type #1 and Type #3 the one I assume I need was Type #2 out of stock, but they do not show the different types to know the difference. I have two firing pins that won't work. Where could I find possibly a bolt for these firing pins? These firing pins are far more heavy duty them my current one.
    The machining on my bolt is rough, should I emery the surfaces and smooth these out? Machining marks like threads all down it. I can post pics.
    Any help would be great!
    No matter what I plan to keep it and have our father son match set, and give to my grandson someday. Hopefully a more reliable firearm.
    Ammo used, we both shoot the same ammo. New and I reload. My reloads have been more reliable. Always used 230 grain round nose 45 ACP as recommended.
    Brass case only. My sons will shoot anything, mine was picky with some new ammo that was a import.
    Should I work on springs, ejector, etc?
    I have 30 round sticks and 50 round drum, didn't matter what magazine I used.

Feed issues, Stovepipes, one in the chamber and spent round doesn't get out before bolt slams shut. Usually, stovepipes most common. Live rounds usually feed OK, getting the spent round out seems to be the issue.
    Last edited by apsanford; 07-19-2015 at 08:03 AM. Reason: spelling and additional info

First, I think it's cool that you have matching guns with your son. I wish I had that with my dad on something. It would have been a cherished heirloom. These rifles are notorious for the issues that you are encountering. If you do a Google search you will see that there are a lot out there experiencing the same issues. I would do some research before filing or polishing just to make sure you don't void what little warranty you have. Many of the issues out there were only resolved with replacement firearms. Once you determine that it is a keeper, I always smooth out the machine marks. Today's CNC machining is great but the hand work of yesteryear can't be beat.

Thank You, we both talked about it, and I found mine at Gander Mountain, new store grand opening. Mine came with violin case, 50 round drum and 30 round stick. My some got his later, same rifle 1927A1 but only plastic case, one 30 round stick. I got him a aftermarket 50 round drum, even that works good for his. I found out quickly not to store in the violin case, draws moisture. I have a tactical soft case too. I did some other forums but forgot the ones and they had tips for this too. I thought the factory gunsmiths would go through them better.
    I found some magazines cause feed issues too. I have adjusted them at times but those issues are consistent. I can go thru a drum and stick with no issues, next time want to throw it. Mine works best well oiled, my son's, doesn't matter.I bought someone's lemon? It was used 1 year, sons was new. I can't: post pics but maybe too new to the group. I have it disassembled waiting to the firing pin. I plan to gently polish the bolt, look for rough surfaces before I reassemble it. My Mak 90 runs flawless from the 80's. Less then $400 new back in the 80's. I hope I can get this one together and have it operate reasonably well.

Hang tight and give Bawanna time to chime in. I think he has one and may have some advice.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Awesome, thanks. I'm confident I can improve this firearm.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

...been watching your thead waiting for the Thompson owners to chime in. There are a few of them around here. Keep bumping it to the top and someone should answer.

I have read that the drum magazines are less reliable than the stick mags. So "stick" with them until you get things sorted out. I've also read that they can be a bit ammo finicky. So if you find one that works, you may want to "stick" with that too. These can be like wives...there's good ones yet others that are a bit high maintenance. Doesn't mean they are bad.

Best of luck.
    ​O|||||||O

I'm out of town but PM Ghost Soldier. He's my go to smartest man alive on Thompsons. Mags are usually a factor. Drums for me work great but use care loading them. Hotter loads seem to work best which is why your reloads probably work better. Bolt weighs about 3 pounds alone.

I won't be home for a couple weeks but we'll get you running.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post

Uh Oh, we're home alone.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I'm out of town but PM Ghost Soldier. He's my go to smartest man alive on Thompsons. Mags are usually a factor. Drums for me work great but use care loading them. Hotter loads seem to work best which is why your reloads probably work better. Bolt weighs about 3 pounds alone.

Thanks, I did find one brand ammo ran terrible, but the reload cases of the same brass tells me it is the load factor there. I will advise Herters was most unreliable in mine, even was annoying in my Sons but clearly not as much as mine. I think as I reload I will make sure they are loaded at the higher ends of loads rather then low end for sure.
    I'm real curious how the firepin broke. If I can prevent it again, somehow.