Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scary... had my first jam on my CM9 after 600~+ rounds

Default Scary... had my first jam on my CM9 after 600~+ rounds

I'm not really sure what the round count on my CM9 is, I know it's more than 500 and probably less than 700. So let's say 600 rounds. It's broken in, and I have never ever had any malfunctions or issues with it.

So, I bought a new Glock 19 Gen 4 and took it to the range to 'break in'. It went as expected (Very well... It's a Glock, afterall), I want to do more testing with this as I'm going to start carrying it eventually. I went to the range with some cheap target ammo for it but also some Hornady Critical Defense that I carry in my CM9.

Anyhow, since I had a lot of Hornady Critical Defense with me since I was testing the Glock, I figured I'd go ahead and empty the magazine on my carry piece (CM9) while I was there. Why not? Good to practice with your carry piece.

Pull the trigger, bang. Pull the trigger, bang. Pull the trigger... Nothing. Oh no! A round jammed into the feed ramp! This is my carry gun, can't be having jams. I'm not carrying toast.

I'm not sure what could have caused this, as I have mentioned I have put a lot of rounds through it. Is it possible this was caused by the Kahr 7 round magazine? I have read on here (I believe) someone mentioning something about those. I'm now only carrying it with the original 6 round magazine. I keep the gun clean. Have never once had a jam before, not even during the break in period. Just sort of scary that this happened on a carry piece.

Anyhow, just curious if anyone has had this happen to them and what advice they'd offer. I've never had a pistol jam on me before (minus an old 1972~ Ruger Standard) so I am wondering if there is anything I can do to my Kahr to ensure that this never ever happens again. I'm just going to say it was probably the 7 round magazine because if you grip the extension it may move the top of the magazine inside the pistol a little forward and down which may make it harder to feed from. I don't know. I just don't want it to ever happen again so am rocking only the original 6 rounder and may take my other 6 round magazine and remove the Pierce grip extension as well.

Thoughts?

I'm sure there are some with much more experience than me who will chime in on this but FWIW, I am learning that with both my CM9 and CM40 that I get the best shooting experience with the standard size, flush fitting magazines.
    I recently broke my first CM9 mag follower and it was on a 7-round extended mag.
    My CM40 will run just fine all day long with the standard 5-round mag. If I attempt to use the 6-round extended mag it won't chamber correctly.

It's reasonable to expect that all semi-auto handguns are capable of jamming. So we do our best to mitigate the risk: work on our shooting fundamentals, keep them clean and lubed properly, and practice. If it does jam, try to see if there is something different that may have caused it. If not, one jam in 600 rounds is a pretty good record. But I too carry my 6 round mag as my primary and the 7 rounders are backups = just another variable to eliminate if possible.

With any carry piece, we have to accept some level of malfunction risk. To each his own. Some will only carry revolvers but even those don't have perfect records.

My recommendation is to check your gun over good for any signs of defects. Clean and lube it well. Clean your mags. Then shoot a reasonable number of rounds though it to make sure it's still carry worthy. You'll be fine.
    ​O|||||||O

Wouldn't hurt to polish the feed ramp.

It may have just been due to an improper grip (limp wrist). Tap, Rack and Roll. I practice that technique with my Glock 19. Of course, you have to induce it because Glock's tend to just run. No need to break a Glock in they come that way.

^^^ my BIL simply cannot own a Kahr. He's a great shot but his grip is lousy. So for him it's an M&P Shield. I think that's important to note. We on Kahrtalk tend to point out when malfunctions may be shooter error. But if it happens consistently with any firearm...even from shooter error...that gun might not be the right carry piece for that shooter. It doesn't sound like that's our OP's case. 1/600. "Shoot the fokker like you stole it."
    ​O|||||||O

I have a pm 9 with over 5,000 rounds through it. The only jams/failures to feed were when I tried to use the 7 round mag. It worked fine with only 6 rounds in it but add the 7th and not so good. I now have 4 of the 6 round mags and have never had a problem with any of them so it might just be that mag. Try it with just 6 rounds in it and see how it works. Just sayin.
    "If we ever forget we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." Ronald Reagan

Same here. 100% with the 6 rounders. Only trouble I've had was with Pearce extenders. Slide wouldn't lock open on the last round. Went back with everything original and back to 100%. 3500 rds and counting.

Yep, figured it was due to the 7 round magazine...

Only carrying it with the 6 round ones I have for it from now on. The Karh will only be carried anyhow when wearing more form fitting clothing as I am starting to carry my Glock 19 when I am dressed to support it. I'd rather have 15+1 than 6+1 any day.

Still love my Kahr, just was surprised is all. Glad it was at the range it happened and not somewhere in defense.

Yep, its the 7 round mag. My cm9 will jsm with the 7 and 8 round mag. Stick with the 6 IMHO.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/