Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Scary... had my first jam on my CM9 after 600~+ rounds

When I got a couple of 7 round mags from a kahrtalk seller they would not feed reliably at all, not even when loading the chamber after inserting a mag.
    I disassembled them, tweaked the feed lips and lightly sanded the magazine followers and inside of feed lips, then cleaned and lubed them. Now they run fine with a types of ammo.
    Like previous posters have said, anything mechanical can hiccup once in a while. Try shooting several more mags of your defense ammo using that mag. It could be that particular round.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyC View Post
    When I got a couple of 7 round mags from a kahrtalk seller they would not feed reliably at all, not even when loading the chamber after inserting a mag.
    I disassembled them, tweaked the feed lips and lightly sanded the magazine followers and inside of feed lips, then cleaned and lubed them. Now they run fine with a types of ammo.
    Like previous posters have said, anything mechanical can hiccup once in a while. Try shooting several more mags of your defense ammo using that mag. It could be that particular round.
    Little doubt in my mind the 7-rd magazines are substandard. That is where the tweaking, above, comes into play, if you are willing to put up with it. If not, just buy a most ugly Glock, or a 92FS or a SIG, S&W, etc., or stick with the 6-rd mags.

In any event your points are well-taken and it should also be mentioned there's a procedure recited in last paragraph of 'Proper Prep of a New Kahr' entitled ' Magazine Fix'. It contains a simple way to test one's magazines from the factory, and how the user can sand the followers to pass the test recited therein. It's a bit ambiguous as to where, but when one finds photos of the fix in the gb4491 thread, it shows the areas clearly, though more than is needed to remedy nose-dives. The photos are 3rd and 4th sets down in post #2 of this thread:

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...sues-and-fixes
    Last edited by kahrinca; 08-25-2015 at 12:28 PM.

I just use FrogLube. Gave it two heat treatments prior to first range trip.

Gun has not been cleaned after two range sessions and 257 rounds. The only thing that I will do now is take a Q-tip and rub it inside the slide and on the feed ramp to get it shiny again. Dependent upon how it looks, I may add a bit of the FL paste cold. I do use a BoreSnake on the barrel while it's still warm.

LATER UPDATE: Actually wiped components down with paper towel and Q-tips. Gun is now pretty clean. Also applied a bit of cold FL paste to the weapon last night.

The images below depict condition of the firearm components after 257 rounds without wipe-down or cleaning:

Last edited by kahrinca; 08-27-2015 at 01:27 PM. Reason: updated

I carry PM9 with 6 rd mag for concealment advantage. Recently bought 2 of the 7 rd. mags while on a trip, and finally got to test them when I got back home. Ran about 50 rounds or so through the two mags, firing and reloading each after 2-3 rounds fired. Made sure I had one in the pipe before shooting most (as in a tactical reload) but also sling-shotted or slide-released as with an emptied mag reload situation. No problems. I do remember, tho, reading lots of complaints about the 7 round extended magazine "nose-dive" problem. Seemed really problematic with the 7 rd. extended mag used in PM9's. Maybe I'm lucky, but I do like those extra two rounds for back-up reloads. Is this still a problem, Sept., 2016?
    "You can go a long way with a smile, but you can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun."
    Attributed to Alphonse Gabriel Capone, 1899-1947.

"Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun."
    Attributed to Muggsy, -don't know when .....

Just purchased my cm9 a few weeks ago. I ordered a second six round mag and thought about the 7 round mag. After reading these posts if I buy a third mag it will be another six round mag. Thanks for the education everyone. Love this forum.

sorry to hear that! I shot a IDPA match yesterday (107rds.) all my mags are extnd.7s because of better grip, w/lakeside followers, loaded w/6rds.,no FTFs,FTEs,etc. with either short 6s or long 7s. for grins, I polished the barrel,hood,and ramp w/2000 grit paper then Flitz just because it looks nice.

my CM9 has between 1500/2500 fired as this is my EDC which I practice/compete with in IDPA BUG; my match ammo is Fed.115 gr.alum. case,vel.1150 fps.stated on box, my critical defense is 1145 fps. no failures with either.

I bore snake after every session and tear down/lube about every 300 rds.

NRA LIFER
    IDPA BELEIVER

may I ask what brand ammo you use? I shot the Wisconsin State IDPA Match (200+rds.) using 115 gr.Fed.aluminum case and thought my CM was dirty until I saw your pics.

not trying to be critical,just curious.

BTW, I use Q tip to oil the barrel,hood, rails, guide rails, guide rod,slide opening for barrel muzzle and inside of slide above barrel. CM runs like its' hair on fire.

NRA LIFER
    IDPA BELEIVER