Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights

Thread: Reloading with Autocomp vs CFE Pistol

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

Default Reloading with Autocomp vs CFE Pistol

Our Rod & Gun Club just got in a shipment of pistol powders, including Winchester Autocomp and CFE Pistol. Both are great as they can be used from .380 to .45ACP loads.

Anyone use Autocomp? Printed out the load info from Hodgdon and was really surprised at the maximum drops on Autocomp. They have 38 specials topped out at 4.9g for a 158g bullet, while the 38 special +P load is 5.0g for a 158g bullet....only 1/10 of a grain difference!

Think I'll stick with CFE Pistol for 38 special...
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

I haven't tried either of the Winchester powders you mentioned, but I've had very good luck with Alliant Power Pistol in everything from the .380 auto to .45 ACP.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

I've used both and I had better luck with CFE Pistol. I have a thread here with group sizes and pictures and things covering multiple calibers and powders (including Autocomp). I also posted a thread on reloading with CFE when I first tried it. I have not done much experimentation since then, just been shooting for fun. I plan to do some more experimentation with the .45 and CFE with 200gr SWC plated bullets for next summer's bullseye season one of these days.