Magnum Research new   Xssights   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else switch to Windows 10?

Default Anyone else switch to Windows 10?

My Windows 7 was getting all buggy, it had a bad memory module and kept crashing and it took me a while to figure out what was going on, and it corrupted my system files so bad that I couldn't do any kind of Windows 7 repair install or anything to replace the corrupted files.
    I had bought a 260gb Solid State Drive, which more like a bunch of RAM memory modules all cramed into this little box, and has no moving parts to wear out or anything, so I unplugged my old Windows 7 drive, after I got all the data files I needed copied off of it onto a backup drive, then installed Windows 7 on the SSD drive, and did all the updates and service pack, and then added Windows 10 to it. Man the SSD sure speeds things up, boot up takes about 1/4th the time it used to. And everthing seems to run faster.
    So far it's been pretty stable, haven't had any crashes or anything. Like every new release of Windows, it takes some getting used too. I'm not sure if I like it better than Windows 7, but I like it better than Windows 8 for a desktop machine. Windows 8 seems like it's meant for tablets and laptops and computers with touch screens.
    Windows 10 has been running all the software Windows 7 did so far, I haven't got everything reloaded, just the stuff I use most often. It replaces Internet Explorer, with Edge Browser, has a new mail system, and other new features. The start menu is totally different. and it will take me awhile to get used to it. It seems like everything is there, just renamed or located in a different folder and things like that.

Should you upgrade? I would at least download a copy and burn a disk of it while it's being offered free. If you have Windows 7 and are using a desktop, and hate change, I'd probably not update. If I had a desktop with Windows 8, I think I would definitely do the update. There isn't anything I really hate about Windows 10 so far. It's close enough to Windows 7 that I can find everything ok. IF the upgrade goes well, you won't lose any of your documents or pictures or anything, but you should probably back them up just in case before doing the upgrade.
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.

Thanks for feedback.
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

Been running it on a newer, touch screen, laptop for a couple weeks, and just put it on one of my desktops this week. Both upgrades from Win8.
    Working very well....Seems to be the best of Win7 combined with the best of Win8.

I have two more laptops and another, (more important), desktop that I'll upgrade as soon I am comfortable there are no issues.
    A couple Colts, a couple Brownings, a Makarov, a Sig, a couple Rugers, a couple Kahrs, a couple Smith & Wessons, a Walther, and a couple Berettas .....Oh, and some long guns...

I have an old 32 bit laptop that had a corrupt XP system. I installed Win 7 so I can use it for my surveillance cameras. My Win 10 upgrade came available, so I went through the hours of downloading, upgrading, configuring, and when it rebooted, it hung. After 1/2 hour of waiting, I turned the thing off, and when I restarted it went right into Win 7 like nothing had happened. Thinking I did something wrong, I went through the whole process again, and the same thing happened. So I'm keeping Win 7 on my laptop. I didn't know you could download a copy and burn it, I'll have to look into that. My main computer is dual boot, I use Linux Mint, but it has Win 8.8, which I hate. I need to try to get 10 on there, but I'm really afraid of Microsoft messing up my UEFI boot loader. Microsoft has a tendency to try to rule your world and can really f@#$ things up.

we are running three laptops on win 10 so far really like it

CW9 1000 rounds * CW380 950 rounds
    www.jdlautodesign.com

I've always known MS was slime. I might upgrade my dual boot, just becasue sometimes I need Windows, and I hate 8.1. But it's so seldom I boot into Windows, when I do, it has to spend and hour or more downloading and installing updates. Linux Mint is the answer to Windows. Stable, virus free, and that includes MS.

Im sure all OSs do it these days. Big brother is after your meta data
    CW9 1000 rounds * CW380 950 rounds
    www.jdlautodesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ronni3_J View Post
    Im sure all OSs do it these days. Big brother is after your meta data
    Not open source like UNIX or BSD, the community wouldn't allow it.

Waiting a couple of months. After I get back from travel late September, I'll install it on my travel laptop first. If that goes well I'll do the install on my, more critical, desktop.

This is Microsoft's last chance with me. Put my seriously thinkin' about plan to replace the aging desktop with an iMac on hold until I see how Win 10 be working out.
    NRA Benefactor