Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Break-in of new PM9 today

Default Break-in of new PM9 today

Did substantial prep of a new Kahr PM9 over the past week. It paid off, and thanks again to jocko and other members, including but not limited to, gb6491 (Greg).

First outing: shot 150 rounds range ammo (115gr FMJ) consisting of 100 Freedom Munitions and 50 of Federal Champion Aluminum-cased.

Only 1 FTF- a nose dive, with the 7-rd magazine shooting Freedom. Just pulled back on the slide a bit and it fed in. There were no other issues.

Back home, I sanded a bit more off the follower of that magazine. There is a specific area on the right leading edge of the follower that passes through the open side window on
    the magazine. That open side window has been referred to as the 'magazine latch window'. Confirm the area on follower that passes through that window best as you are able.

Do not sand the entire right side of the follower. Instructions are in 'Proper prep of a new Kahr' under 'Magazine Fix' at end of post #1. I performed the recommended test there and all three magazines initially failed. All my magazines now pass jockos test as described in that paragraph.

There is also a photo of the area in this thread: http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...sues-and-fixes . Scroll down to 3rd and 4th set of photos in post #2, but I did not find it necessary to cut away any area on the follower. I just sanded the whole area that he cut away as well as the area he rounded. Greg duly notes that after those photos and states: "*If you are doing this mod to eliminate nose dives, you may not need to remove as much material as shown here. Try removing just enough material to allow the follower to pass the magazine latch without issue. You can usually see where the latch is being scrapped by the follower...".

I do believe the magazine test is not essential or mandatory but there's little doubt in my mind that had I not sanded down the followers on these mags it would've been a far less enjoyable range session. It is likely, though, that this issue would work itself out merely by breaking in of the gun, but it might take a while. So I do recommend doing jocko's 'Magazine Fix' test (http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...-of-a-new-kahr ) prior to the first range session and if mag(s) do not pass it go ahead and sand the followers.

And do heed the proper orientation of the magazine spring when it is attached to the follower. See, post #6 in this thread: http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...ards-from-Kahr

Used the three magazines that came with the firearm- two 6-rd, and the 7-rd. Shot more or less equal number of rounds out of each.

LOVE the pistol!

Thanks!
    Last edited by kahrinca; 08-19-2015 at 11:06 PM.

Good choice. I have a CM9 that's been pretty much trouble free. It's a great shooting pistola.

There's been speculation by some that when you apply grip pressure to the mag extension with your ring or pinky finger it cocks the mag in the mag well and may cause some of the nose dive issues. The are some here who don't use the 7-rd mag for that reason. YMMV

Thanks. I intend to use 7-rd mag at the range, only. Even if I had complete confidence in it I don't see it for carry or as a spare when carrying.

Was happy that gun came with two 6-rd magazines and the 7-rd mag as well.

For benefit of newbies and those who are curious as to prep that I performed:

Read and reviewed owner's manual
    Cleaned and degreased PM9
    Heat-treated with FrogLube
    Racked slide a couple of hundred times
    Performed #6 slide lock test in 'Proper prep of a new Kahr'
    Stored gun overnight with slide locked backed (do for a minimum one or two nights- I did it for five nights)
    Did another FrogLube heat treatment.
    Racked slide again numerous times
    Took apart magazines and performed jocko's magazine 'test' as described in 'Magazine Fix' in 'Proper prep of a new Kahr', end of post #1 here:
    (http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...-of-a-new-kahr ).
    Sanded magazine followers until each passed the test.

Range session consisted of FMJ ammo only- concentrated on functionality over accuracy
    Last edited by kahrinca; 08-20-2015 at 01:31 PM.

Awesome! Very glad that you are having a good experience with your PM9. Welcome to the club so to speak!!

I wouldn't trade my PM9 (PM9193) for ANY other single stack carry gun.

FYI, my PM9193 came with two 6 round, and one 7 round mag. I bought two more of each size to make range trips more fun, then also got 4 Pearcy pinky grip extensions and installed them on all the 6 round mags. I shoot relatively a lot. In my mind I somewhat concentrate on using the 6 rounders with the extensions since that is my carry solution. The 7 rounders are more for less reloading at the range.

I get the concern about pulling on the mag and causing a jam, yet that has never been something I have experienced. FYI.

Tim

What's the purpose of racking the slide all those times? I have a fairly new PM9 but I never read the new gun thread, I found this site after mine was already broken in. I've never had any issues of any kind so far after about 1000+ rounds so I assume I'm good to go. Even the first 200 rounds didn't have any issues. All I did was clean and lube it before the first range session.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
    What's the purpose of racking the slide all those times?
    I believe to loosen up the recoil spring and mate slide to frame, thus accelerating break-in. Others more experienced may chime in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

What's the purpose of racking the slide all those times? I have a fairly new PM9 but I never read the new gun thread, I found this site after mine was already broken in. I've never had any issues of any kind so far after about 1000+ rounds so I assume I'm good to go. Even the first 200 rounds didn't have any issues. All I did was clean and lube it before the first range session.
    Yeah, you're good to go. That's the method I use with a new pistol as well and it has been fine on more than a handful of Kahrs.
    Aftermarket accessories for Kahr Pistols at https://lakelinellc.com/
    There are always more in the pipeline...

Ovalnut-

Thank you for your comments.

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

What's the purpose of racking the slide all those times?
    Gives you something to do while your not on the range actually enjoying your new firearm. I guess it also strengthens your grip and arm muscles which are required to prevent stovepipes.

In the end though, it's actually because nobody can hardly afford to shoot the actual ammo required to do it properly.
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets