CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OACP to CCO

Default OACP to CCO

I've had a Colt's Officer's ACP for some time now and really like it. Reading of some possible issues with the recoil spring plug, I thought to have a reverse plug installed in it. As this procedure usually involves some cutting on the slide, I was fortunate enough to pick up a Colt 1991A1 compact parts kit (everything minus the frame) for a really decent price. While my intention was to have the 1991 slide cut, I got to messing around with some components and ended up with a recoil spring assembly that used a reverse plug (Clark), a FLGR (EGW), and a flat wire spring (ISMI). I had to mod a few parts (take some material off the plug and drill it plus removing some material from the guide rod), but the system installed without needing to have the slide cut or losing much slide travel. It worked like a charm and I have a reliable Officer's model (BTW, EGW now offers this setup as a kit on the their website). The only trouble with a reliable OACP, was that I couldn't really justify laying down the cash to pick up another pistol that I've always liked the look of: the Colt CCO (or one of the various clones such as the Dan Wesson CCO). Well fortune shined upon me again recently and I won an auction for a Colt Commander parts kit (just over $250 shipped). From the auction photos, I thought I might need to refinish the slide, but it turned out to be in much better shape than anticipated. It also fit and functions perfectly. I'm a happy camper!
    OACP

with 1991 slide

Recoil spring assembly

Commander parts auction photo:

Commander upper on the Officers frame

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

That commander slide don't look like it needs a thing. Looks in really nice shape.

Nice combo on the OACP frame too. Now we gotta find ya another frame so you don't have a slide laying around homeless huh?

I'm seeing another wide spur hammer in your future too.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    That commander slide don't look like it needs a thing. Looks in really nice shape.

Nice combo on the OACP frame too. Now we gotta find ya another frame so you don't have a slide laying around homeless huh?

I'm seeing another wide spur hammer in your future too.
    Yes sir, the slide is in good shape.
    I'll probably sell one of the Officer/Compact slides. They are both in good shape and probably worth more than I paid for them and all the other parts.
    I had a third slide (came with two barrels, one that was compensated but hadn't been fit properly) that I gave to a buddy for his Commander. He's been pretty pleased with that combo.
    I think I'll leave the ring spur on this one as I like the style of grip safety.
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Very nice........................................IMHO those DW CCO's are overpriced...............nice gun, but too stiff for my blood. I would prefer your setup myself, over the CCO.

I had a SIG RCS,(nice pistol btw, no complaints) then got an opportunity to pick up a used DW CCO, now I'm ruined. The fit and finish is the best you can get for a production piece. Amazing trigger, factory 4.5 pounds. I have never held the Colt Wiley Clapp CCO, but the DW is very hard to beat. Are the DW's overpriced? Not in my book....

IMHO the CCO style. regardless of maker, is the perfect carry 1911. The the slide length gives you reliability that some of the officer models lack, and the officer frame gives you concealibiity.

A lot of folks favor the Wilson combat magazines, and they do work well in pistols with a l timing issues. But in a well timed pistol, I prefer Tripp Cobra's for EDC.
    NRA Benefactor

I like this for half the price........................................
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have handled the RO Compact, thinking of getting one in 9MM, trigger is not as nice, but all in all a good pistol. Here is my CCO, not sure why it appears twice.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NRA Benefactor

"I think I'll leave the ring spur on this one as I like the style of grip safety."

You don't think it would clear? I thought looking the might be enough room.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

DW's are very nice. A CZ 1911 A1 might be a good option if money is a concern...but a custom GB6491? ...priceless!
    ​O|||||||O

Agree, a GB6491 is one of a kind.
    NRA Benefactor