Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Xssights
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BEWARE of Idiot Scratches on polymer frame when reassembling your pistol!

PlastX works great for smooth shiny surfaces. Been using it for years. For what you want, not so much/don't at all think so. As others have said, anything you try to do to fix this will very most likely make matters worse. Understand your frustration but this is one of those best to just live with it thingys.
    NRA Benefactor

http://www.amazon.com/NOVUS-7100-Pla.../dp/B002UCYRZU

This is what I use in motorcycle plastics

Thinking out of the box here because I doubt you will come up with a good solution. What if you went to the local used car lot and asked to talk to the guy who does their vinyl interior repairs? They are trained to match the color and the texture of plastic surfaces. He might be able to fix it reasonably or tell you how to do it.
    ​O|||||||O

Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    Thinking out of the box here because I doubt you will come up with a good solution. What if you went to the local used car lot and asked to talk to the guy who does their vinyl interior repairs? They are trained to match the color and the texture of plastic surfaces. He might be able to fix it reasonably or tell you how to do it.
    Now that is a slick idea. Very good.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

If you find a solution, let me know what it is. Mine isn't as deep as yours but it is there.

Quote Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
    PlastX works great for smooth shiny surfaces. Been using it for years. For what you want, not so much/don't at all think so. As others have said, anything you try to do to fix this will very most likely make matters worse. Understand your frustration but this is one of those best to just live with it thingys.
    Thanks for your input. Will not get the PlastX for now, and will not do anything at all for the time being. But I remain open to reading other comments.

Saving grace may be that I don't see myself selling this gun for a long while, if at all, so cosmetics are not as important as in the past where I usually end up selling most of my handguns years later.

And it's not really noticed unless gun is placed on its right side on a flat surface and one looks up at it from below the trigger guard, as in the photos without flash, above.

Below is how it looks with flash and high contrast- kind of 'ugly-nasty', worse than in normal light.

Since I am a left-handed shooter, I don't look in the area all that much unless I am taking gun down. Later, and after this photo, I applied a black Sharpie to the area and it looked worse, so I removed it.

Last edited by kahrinca; 08-24-2015 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    Something to consider, but this isn't vinyl. But I may do that and show a photo depicting the scratches and mention that it's a hard polymer.

Your scratches don't look bad, IMO. You oughta see the one along the bottom edge of my CW45 slide where the stop left a 2" mark when I reassembled it the first time several years ago.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Must be tough to be a gun owner, and have all pristine firearms.......................................... ...some of mine are, and some aren't..............................they do get marks on them, which means they are being used. If you don't use them, and just sit and stare at them, might be time to sell them, or get a slingshot............