Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: BEWARE of Idiot Scratches on polymer frame when reassembling your pistol!

I was planning to go to the range Thursday to see if my PM9 was harmed by the heat gun, but I could not wait that long.

So I went out this afternoon to find out....

Shot Federal Champion Aluminum (50) and WWB (50) plus 7 of the HST 124gr.

Was greatly​ relieved and happy to see that all 107 rounds shot without incident of any kind! That certainly put my mind at ease. Was concerned that I might have messed up the firearm.
    Last edited by kahrinca; 08-25-2015 at 11:16 PM.

Your repair looks pretty good, Kahrinca. I own a company that repairs auto interiors and we do something similar. I use a heat gun with two settings, 500 and 800 degrees. Usually 500 is enough. I also have texture pads with many different patterns, so I can put the original pattern back once the material has softened. Generally, I work with soft vinyl, but sometimes I have to repair hard plastic. It takes a lot of practice to do it right, and I think you did great on your first attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Dell View Post
    Your repair looks pretty good, Kahrinca. I own a company that repairs auto interiors and we do something similar. I use a heat gun with two settings, 500 and 800 degrees. Usually 500 is enough. I also have texture pads with many different patterns, so I can put the original pattern back once the material has softened. Generally, I work with soft vinyl, but sometimes I have to repair hard plastic. It takes a lot of practice to do it right, and I think you did great on your first attempt.

Thank you for the kind words. I can only ascribe it to 'beginners luck'. It's by no means perfect but it is satisfactory.

If I had to do over again I would have set my heat gun to the lower setting. I think it was a bit too much to have it on high and I shouldn't have taken the YT video I found literally: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7vS6F8EHxI . I think it's a pretty good video as far as YT is concerned, and he addresses the issue of scratches starting at 2:15.
    Last edited by kahrinca; 08-26-2015 at 03:57 PM.

Well I certainly learned something from these posts. Karhinca, nice job. And that hammering sandpaper was novel indeed. Just one of the reasons I like this forum. Now.........let me see what I can do with that same little mark on my cw9 that I thought would be there forever.
    Women call it "the silent treatment", and they think we don't like it.
    "The more laws, the less justice." Cicero

Don't confuse my method with Greg's sanding/tapping.

I used heat gun remedy, nothing else, though I initially started with a hair dryer.

Recommend heat gun on 'low' setting. On high setting singed grips a bit as too hot and may damage the firearm.

I subsequently went to 'low' a couple of times over the past days. I am truly done this time and pleased!

Be careful and don't expose to the heat for too long. Do incrementally as prudence dictates. Do so at own risk to the firearm!

Today's photos:

Last edited by kahrinca; 08-31-2015 at 09:09 PM.

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

Great job. Can you get that grip tape off?
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

Quote Originally Posted by Bobshouse View Post
    Great job. Can you get that grip tape off?
    I would think so without difficulty. Just waiting on some new grip tape that I ordered.

The ones depicted are Decal Rubber Grip tape-they give quite a bit more traction than Talon rubber- a bit much for my liking...ordered some 'Traction' rubber grip tape (less costly than either Decal or Talon), should arrive in a few days. For a change, I just wanted something other than Talons.

I'm an idiot too, have the exact same mark on my PM9 from repeated disassembly/cleaning/reassembly, because I shoot it regularly and maintain it. It is a fantastic gun, shoots wonderfully and I never thought about trying to fuss with the scratch. It just is. From my perspective there is nothing wrong with it. I put it in the same league as wear marks from a holster, or that little bit of shine you get on the mag release button or slide release lever, from repeated use.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by OvalNut View Post
    I'm an idiot too, have the exact same mark on my PM9 from repeated disassembly/cleaning/reassembly, because I shoot it regularly and maintain it. It is a fantastic gun, shoots wonderfully and I never thought about trying to fuss with the scratch. It just is. From my perspective there is nothing wrong with it. I put it in the same league as wear marks from a holster, or that little bit of shine you get on the mag release button or slide release lever, from repeated use.
    Tim
    Well, I started this thread due to frustration with myself for messing up the appearance of a NEW PM9. Perhaps I may not have felt this way if gun were purchased used in the same condition. But it wasn't, and I wanted to see if there were a remedy. That's all.

And I found a remedy that seemed to work pretty well, and may also be of benefit to others similarly situated who feel the same. I don't need to justify why I feel this way, just as those who could not care less don't need to justify why they feel the way they do about it, either.

That's the way it is for me, and for you. We each have our viewpoints, I respect yours, you apparently don't respect mine. That's fine.. the thread is about obtaining a way to eliminate or reduce unattractive scratch marks on the frame for those who share my views, and not to debate the propriety of my viewpoint.