Crimsontrace   Xssights   Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win NT plus p brass .45 acp small primer, advice wanted

Default Win NT plus p brass .45 acp small primer, advice wanted

Bought mixed head stamp brass and couldn't get some of them to accept primers, if I got some started they wouldn't seat properly. Finally noticed the problem brass was all Marked Win NT plus P. The original primers were set in with an extra small circular press mark on the brass just barely outside the primer pocket. Wound up mounting a drill in a vise and just used my fingers to rotate the cases to ream the pocket so the new primer seats like normal. Took apart a few cartridges before I tumbled to the problem. Do all plus p need special attention in order to seat primers? Is this a newby error? Before I figured it out I ordered a RCBS universal hand primer tool thinking that might offer more tactile feed back and unlike a multistage press it would be easy to feel/look to see the primer before going further.

There is a primer pocket reamer made for removing the crimp. They are less than $20, it is a hand tool and there are 2 sizes for large and small primers. The hand primer you bought will seat both sizes and it is easy to remove the crimp and seat a new primer. I load both sizes of 45 ACP with a Lee hand primer tool. Either one will make quick work out of 100 primers. Some other brands also crimp in the primers.

Another ammo brand that is crimped is Stellier & Bellot. After you remove the crimp 1 time the cases can be reloaded multiple times normally without more reaming. It is a 1 time deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Curious Carl View Post
    Bought mixed head stamp brass and couldn't get some of them to accept primers, if I got some started they wouldn't seat properly. Finally noticed the problem brass was all Marked Win NT plus P. The original primers were set in with an extra small circular press mark on the brass just barely outside the primer pocket. Wound up mounting a drill in a vise and just used my fingers to rotate the cases to ream the pocket so the new primer seats like normal. Took apart a few cartridges before I tumbled to the problem. Do all plus p need special attention in order to seat primers? Is this a newby error? Before I figured it out I ordered a RCBS universal hand primer tool thinking that might offer more tactile feed back and unlike a multistage press it would be easy to feel/look to see the primer before going further.
    As far as I know Winchester, Federal, And CCI/Blazer make 45acp brass with small pistol primer pockets. Apparently a lead free primer can only be made in the small size. It's not advisable to try to put a large primer in them. In fact Winchester advises against reloading the 45 with said pockets. Regular pocket on left, eco friendly pocket on right. I recycle them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Speer Lawman is also small primer and I load 1000's of them. I was confused at first as well till I figured out it was just a small primer. I load more of them than I do large primers. Feeds through my press nicer for some reason.

There for awhile primers were darn hard to find and expensive so it was nice to be able to load large or small as you could find them.

If it's crimped I wouldn't waste any time on it myself, too much work.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Appreciate the wise replies, could not have been more ignorant about some pistol brass needing reaming. Read how military brass needed it. Was paying attention real well after I set off my first primer accidentally trying to force it. Ordered hand reamer last night. Am looking at each brass now (use an Optivisor) briefly before loading it. Off topic, made a wet tumbler, use stainless pins, get a kick out of getting the brass bright and shiny clean inside and out then reloading. Little classical music and I'm off to relaxing enjoyable reloading.

I currently have a little over 100 .45ACP small primer pocket Blazer cases picked up once-fired at my local range. I intend to reload and fire them then leave them at the range. Nothing wrong with reloading these cases but I would rather have all large primer pocket cases in .45ACP.
    Life member - NRA
    Life member - CA Rifle & Pistol Assn.
    SW desert rat

I load both large and small primers for 45 ACP, using the large primer brass for my +p loads. Right now the stash of large-pocket brass is especially nice since I have more LP primers for no reason other than I use less of it so I still had several thousand. Now I've added 44 mag, but those are my only two that use that primer.

John

I had an instance a while ago while reloading 357SIG where the decapping pin was too large for the flash hole. Luckly using Lee dies so the pin didn't break, just pushed the rod up thru the die. I noticed the headstamp on these Speer nickel cases had a tiny "s". I contacted Speer and they explained that these were rounds loaded for Military/Law Enforcement. The brass was gifted to me (ie I picked them up at a range where local industry police practice). When asked, Speer was a little shy about sharing their load data for these rounds with me.

I got around the de-capping problem by reducing the diameter of the decapping pin. Please don't ask how I did that.

Quote Originally Posted by Canine Dave View Post
    I had an instance a while ago while reloading 357SIG where the decapping pin was too large for the flash hole. Luckly using Lee dies so the pin didn't break, just pushed the rod up thru the die. I noticed the headstamp on these Speer nickel cases had a tiny "s". I contacted Speer and they explained that these were rounds loaded for Military/Law Enforcement. The brass was gifted to me (ie I picked them up at a range where local industry police practice). When asked, Speer was a little shy about sharing their load data for these rounds with me.

I got around the de-capping problem by reducing the diameter of the decapping pin. Please don't ask how I did that.

Why, of all people/users would Military/Law Enforcement have brass with intentionally punched smaller flash holes? Don't make much sense to me!

jd

edit to add: I just re-read again ..... you said "nickel cases" .... there's the reason for the smaller flash holes. I bet they use the same punch for what will be nickel plated as they use for cases that will be plain old nekkid brass.

I can go to bed now .... my work here is done

It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!