Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I need a...

Default Do I need a...

Lots of guns are nice. Thinking about a "good gun collection" and I have had it, and sold it. Lugers, Walthers, Berettas, CZ, Sauer & Sohn, Savage, Remington, even a Mamba.... and Smith's and Rugers and Colts.... ARs , AK's, FALs, HKs...

Ok, they're mostly all gone.

But I've been thinking... maybe one of the CA Pitbulls, yah I can see the utility in that.

Also been thinking that maybe I need to pick up another AK. Ammo's cheap, and I can personally vouch for the reliability of those things, never seen one that didn't work at least decently well, never seen one that was accurate enough to hit a man beyond about 100 meters too!

Anyway, opinions on AK's are sought. Talk me out, or tell me what to get. I had two old Yugo made made ones that really ran well, never gave a problem. One thing - I'm 6'2 and those guns are made for little'r folks it seems, both in length of pull and sight placement (or rise).

so.... thoughts?

JohnH is our resident AK go to guy I think.

I never had one myself, been wanting one myself but lots of options.

I keep hearing Arsenal, not sure that's helpful.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Zastava M92...Keep it a pistol, add a brace, or do the SBR thing and put a folding stock on it. Anyway it is a whole lot a fun!

https://youtu.be/qukk9sS4QYc

I want one of those VZ58 things...just to be different.
    ​O|||||||O

The VZ2008 are nice but they use non standard mags that are hard to find and at least 25 each

I prefer the AK over the AR for its simplicity. I have had a lot of them in the past and if I was just getting into them it's hard to go wrong with a WASR. The things are tanks.

I like the Hungarian AK Variants but they are a bit harder to find but the build quality is superb.

The ones made by FEG are the best. I like the SA 85 and the AMD-65 thats used by afghani police. It's a side folder and really well made.

The poly and arsenal are nice but really expensive for what you get and the build quality can vary.

I'd look hard at the latest Kalashnikov USA rifles. The specs are great but I have not seen one yet just from friends at the last shot show that saw them

Not a bad idea at all, CJB. I never really got into AK-47s. Picked up a handful of SKS's to shoot and gunsmith mess with about 20 years ago when they were running between $69 to $99, for the nicest ones, with no paper. Turned a few into really decent, nicely stocked guns suitable for hunting. Also bought a restored, laminated stock Russian copy as a collector and then a Ruger Ranch in 7.62x39 to keep them all company.
    NRA Benefactor

Ha! Got a Russian SKS, myself, made in, and stamped.... my birth year, with a big Russkie star over where the year is stamped in the metal.

Was thinking about one of the Century Hungarian folders... or alternately a Century USA milled receiver with Yugo parts.

don't buy an underfolder if you want to add something other than that later, side fold is MUCH better and you can adapt anything aftermarket...look for a milled receiver if you can get one at a decent price, something from the Izhmash factory a major plus in my book...

looking for one myself, I have a TON of ammo and an all original numbers matching laminated Russian SKS that is super accurate with iron sites, beyond 100yrds.... seriously, human torso can easily be hit at 150yrds... with iron sites......

My SKS is accurate too, even with that low grade ammo. Last time I shot it was 100 yards off my friends back porch (he has a backstop at 100 yds from the picnic table!), had no problem hitting clay birds set on the side of the hill

Thought of this thread last night as I watched Enemy At the Gate. Great movie.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."