CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Xssights
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do the Kahr extended magazines exhibit problems?

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    I have nothing to back this up, but I feel that the pressure applied to the magazine by the little finger could be causing the feeding problems with the extended mags. Pressure to the grip should only be applied by the middle two fingers of the strong hand just as they do when you are shooting with the six round mags. I never cared for the extended mags and traded the one that I had for another six round.
    Assuming that your theory is a correct one, it's totally unacceptable. A Glock 26 can fire just fine with a 17 or 33-rd mag attached.

FWIW, I have two 7 rounders (newer MK720s unmodified) that have worked fine with my CM9. 200 or so rounds through each without issue.

I have not had this problem with my PM9 (PM9193), and I shoot it often. I bought extra magazines for range work, and installed the Pearce grip extensions on the 6 round magazines, and also shoot 7 round magazines as well. All with no concerns.

My $0.02

Tim

I have three Kahr pistols.

My MK9 had no issues until I tried a panic-style reload. With 7 and 8 rd mags, it would jam if I held the gun so tight my pinky pushes hard againt the bottom of the mag. Jam.

K9 no issues with 8rd mags, I just don't like to carry it, so I carry two spare 7rd mags.

CM9 was intermittent with 7 and 8 rd mags. Finally, it broke the follower on my 8rd mag. (I have 10 mags total) I have not replaced the 8rd mag follower, only because it was a range mag and I have so many extras. (I did swap out a 6rd follower for a the broken 8rd follower and it work perfect, FYI)

My CM9 is 100% reliable with all 6 of my 6rd mags, three have followers that are smoothed/no hump, three are stock. Two are flat base plate, four have the pinky extension. It is the smallest gun I carry. and I carry a lot, second only to my G26. Love the CM9.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

USAF (Ret)
    NRA Life Member
    Conservative

Can't prove it hurts to apply pressure on the longer mags by me . I have done it for close to 10 to ten years with 0 problems . If anything maybe problem is with the piece of added plastic kahr use's for a mag base on the extended mags .

I seem to remember that some have had issues with extended mags ever since I bought my first Kahr about 12 years ago. Consequently, I have never used one. My PM9 was ordered with 2 six rounders but also came with a seven so I gave it away. To me any extended mag hinders conceallability so I never use one in any pistol. Even my FS 1911 has 7 round mags because that's the way JMB designed it.

Quote Originally Posted by kahrinca View Post
    Assuming that your theory is a correct one, it's totally unacceptable. A Glock 26 can fire just fine with a 17 or 33-rd mag attached.
    Ahh, that's what I suspected you were fishing for...
    ​O|||||||O

Quote Originally Posted by kahrinca View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    Ahh, that's what I suspected you were fishing for...
    Just an example. I don't care for Glocks much and don't own any.

I don't carry my handguns with extended mags in them BUT when they are proven reliable I sure as heck will carry it as a back up mag . The longer mag aids in reloading and with extra cartridges whats not to like . I have run enough rounds thru my 8 round 1911 mags in my ct45 that's there my primary carry mags as OAL is the same and so far the new 10 rounder extended is at 100 rounds thru it reliably and will work as a backup carry mag . I also use full size mags in my sig compact and my wife carrys full size mags for her m&p9c as backup carry mags .

Do as you wish after proven all mags reliable but don't think extended mags can't run well .

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    I don't carry my handguns with extended mags in them BUT when they are proven reliable I sure as heck will carry it as a back up mag . The longer mag aids in reloading and with extra cartridges whats not to like.
    Exactly. I can only speak to 7 round extended mags for P380 and CW380. I have two. To me its obvious they're designed as backup mags, and the extension is not meant as a grip extender. Carrying a CW380 or P380 with the extended mag would defeat the size advantage over a CT380, imo and make no sense. But they're great backup mags. Easy to insert. The extension stays out of the way so the grip doesn't change plus you get the extra round. And they work very reliably.

Normally, when reloading with a backup mag, the chamber would be locked open and empty, and that's how I use them at the range. However a past thread suggested there might be a problem with the extended mags when fully loaded with one in the chamber. I tried that with mine and the older of the two malfunctioned. It may have been just a worn spring, but I emailed Kahr, they swapped for a new mag gratis, and no problems since. Now I test one or the other that way at least once every range trip.
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899