Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   Xssights   Mitch Rosen
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just Ordered My 1st Thompson!!!

The red look was actually milspec. The Garand for example was required to have the stock dipped for a certain amount of time and then hung to drip before being wiped down.

I assume whatever they dipped it in has some of this hint of red stuff this stuff I use in it.

I don't know if they were stained and then oiled or it was a mixture one time thing but I have to believe it was one dip and done.

Most military stocks have that reddish dark look to them, my 17's and 03-A3's had it too.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I know they would dip the stocks in linseed oil...I wonder if they mixed the stain in with that? I just came across a stock refinishing section in the FAQ's sticky at Machine Gun Boards and they recommended this military stain from Brownells. Vanderhaves Formula XIII Looks close to the look I like but needs more brown.

Stuff I got was Chestnut Ridge Military Stock Stain with a hint of red.

It's alcohol based so it gets into the wood no matter what you put on before. To avoid a blotchy look I usually linseed oil a couple times and then throw this stuff on, seems to stay more even especially on birch or other blonde or soft woods. Doesn't always work sometimes.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I'll have to look around when I do the stock set. I would really like to trade my stock set for an actual WWII USGI M1A1 set.

A little more eye candy.

Here's a shot of my Thompson.

Still waiting on my Thompson. I ordered from Impact Guns and I think they order from the manufacturer or distributor after you place your order like alot of online places do. I'm getting impatient! I got my 5 mags from What A Country. For $17 a mag for the "may be dented/rusted" ones, it's a steal. The 5 I received definitely have seen lots of action and were PACKED full of grease. It took 3 hours to completely clean the 5 mags but now they are perfectly clean inside and out. The finish is worn on them and they do have minor surface rust in a couple small places but nothing bad at all. Only one mag had a dent and it's on the back ridge of the mag and doesn't look like it will hinder function whatsoever. Out of the 5 I received there were 4 Seymour and 1 Crosby mag. Any rarity/collectablility between the two?

Just checked today and it finally shipped!

Start lifting weights a little. Your gonna fall over when you feel how heavy these things are.

It was definitely a holy moley moment for me. You see Tom Hanks totin one around like it's plastic and maybe his was but mine surely ain't.
    I shudder to think what one would be like with a 100 round drum. Pretty chunky with my 50.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Haha. I have heard they are really heavy. I shoot all heavy milsurp rifles so maybe it won't feel too bad!

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Start lifting weights a little. Your gonna fall over when you feel how heavy these things are.

It was definitely a holy moley moment for me. You see Tom Hanks totin one around like it's plastic and maybe his was but mine surely ain't.
    I shudder to think what one would be like with a 100 round drum. Pretty chunky with my 50.
    PANSY ASS: Just sayin
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY