Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .380 Federal HST Disappointing Test

Unhappy .380 Federal HST Disappointing Test

I use Federal 9mm HST in my MK9 and EMP. I was curious about the Federal .380 HST since I use a CZ 83 as a backup pistol in .380.

Here is the Federal .380 HST Test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhByLwyvGpA

The results were largely unacceptable to me.

For now the Buffalo Bore .380 Hardcast +P remains my Go To ammo for now.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video...spart=iry&tt=b

I do realize the limitations with this ammo also. I am still looking for a good .380 Standard Pressure Defense round. Federal .380 HST is not it despite the ad in American Rifleman.

Coincidentally I also have an emp9 & a kahr mk9. I read a while ago that fmj hardball had the best penetration as far as a 380. I don't have any 380's anymore.

There's lots of discussion about .380 SD ammo. I tend to agree that HPs don't penetrate enough.
    ​O|||||||O

It looks like the Leigh round is probably the best bet for the 380.

Try Hornady Critical Defense, I have actually shot critters with the 9mm & .40 cal loads. They work quite well and I've been told that the .380 version also works well.
    "Do as I say not as I do"
    "You can't fix stupid"
    "Do what you want, 'cause you will any way"

Stay Safe

Recently the LAPD approved the S&W Bodyguard .380 as their official backup pistol. Their approved carry ammo is Hornady critical defense. I've shot Hornady CD and its fairly accurate, low muzzle flash. I like it however, Shooting the bull tested many different types of .380 & experienced very good results in most if not alll loads that feature the Hornady XTP bullet. Precision one was the best in both clear gel & denim. Hornady's critical defense in his testing, he called it, "Critical dud". Federal's hydra shoks in .380 tested very well and that is what I carry in my Bodyguard.

On a side note I see no purpose in using .380 +p, (if they even truely exist) in a small carry pistol. +p's make no sence. For what reason would someone use +p's in a .380 other than to get a higher velocity so it can get better penetration and if that's is your objective then you're better off investing in a small sub compact 9mm such as a Kahr PM9 for example.

.380 = 9 mm short and weak.
    Wake Up...Grow Up...Show Up...Sit Up...Shut Up...Listen Up

Quote Originally Posted by Longitude Zero View Post
    .380 = 9 mm short and weak.
    380 = in my pocket
    9mm = in my safe

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Freedom Munitions is still doing free shipping through today and sells a nice XTP load in .380acp that I carry. Runs great in my CW380. Not bad for 32 cents delivered, cheap enough to actually train and do reliability tests with.

Quote Originally Posted by RonW View Post
    Recently the LAPD approved the S&W Bodyguard .380 as their official backup pistol. Their approved carry ammo is Hornady critical defense. I've shot Hornady CD and its fairly accurate, low muzzle flash. I like it however, Shooting the bull tested many different types of .380 & experienced very good results in most if not alll loads that feature the Hornady XTP bullet. Precision one was the best in both clear gel & denim. Hornady's critical defense in his testing, he called it, "Critical dud". Federal's hydra shoks in .380 tested very well and that is what I carry in my Bodyguard.
    I suspect Shooting the Bull's test of Hornady CD was an outlier. According to many other testers including both Mouse Gun Addict and the recent comprehensive Lucky Gunner testing http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self...-tests/#380ACP Horndady CD had about the best overall results among the 380 defensive rounds tested.

As for Federal HST in 380, it didn't feed in my P380 and I gave the remainder of what I didn't use testing to a friend with a Glock 42.
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899