CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bullets for CW380?

Deep Run, NC. Between Raleigh and Atlantic Beach.

Default Bullets for CW380?

What FMJ, or plated, bullets have CW380 reloaders found, that function best in the CW380? Not for terminal ballistics, but bullets that feed reliably. Any suggested OALs?

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

I use Berry's 100g round nose, hollow base copper plated bullets. No problems whatsoever. I put them over 2.8g of titegroup with an OAL of .980. The load can be found at www.hodgdonreloading.com
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

Thanks for sharing, Bobshouse. I presently am using Berry's 100g RNFB, plated bullets. They are over 3.2 grains of HP-38, at OAL of .980. Unfortunately, they don't always enter the chamber 100%. I have to give the back of the slide a nudge. The Berry's are described as .356 diameter. Most other plated and FMJs are described as .355. Xtreme states that their plated bullets are .355 diameter. I wonder if the larger diameter of the Berry's, are contributing to the problem?

Factory Fiocchi's are 100% no-go. And, I have 280 of them left! A old box of UMC, 95 grain, fed great.

My last bullet order I tried some 9mm, 45, .380 coated Bayou Bullets. And I really like them!

They are clean to load, and to shoot. The Hi tec coating covers the whole bullet and provides a very slick surface.

For the .380's I am using the 95 gr RN @ oal of .968"

I also had excellent customer service from them, and fast shipping.

Edit;
    As I was staining my deck all day today I was also thinking about your issue...
    If your not using a Lee factory crimp die you should be. I use LFCD for all my auto pistol calibers and never have any problems chambering rounds.
    I see Bob uses them too

Also, I like to keep the feed ramp and chamber, and also the breech face clean and polished. I use JB bore paste on them, paying special attention to the top of the chamber.
    Last edited by BEARDOG; 09-07-2015 at 03:32 PM.

I really don't think .001 will make a difference. I have also loaded the RNFB without any problems. How are you loading your rounds? I use a lee loadmaster with the lee factory crimp die. If its range brass, or it hasn't been fired in your chamber, you might have to resize it before using.

If you don't have a go/nogo gage, you can use the barrel chamber. Try reloading a few and dropping them in your gage or barrel chamber, if they fit easily enough, you have a problem somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobshouse View Post
    I really don't think .001 will make a difference. I have also loaded the RNFB without any problems. How are you loading your rounds? I use a lee loadmaster with the lee factory crimp die. If its range brass, or it hasn't been fired in your chamber, you might have to resize it before using.

If you don't have a go/nogo gage, you can use the barrel chamber. Try reloading a few and dropping them in your gage or barrel chamber, if they fit easily enough, you have a problem somewhere else.
    My machine is a Lee Classic Turret. I do use the Lee Factory Crimp Die. I ALWAYS use the chamber test. Every barrel.

I've been shooting and reloading for years and never experienced the problems I'm having with the CW380. This is a very ammo sensitive pistol. I've learned that Fiocchi (GFL) brass, new ammo, or reloaded, is a no-no. The rim is too thick to slide under the extractor, or the extractor is not providing room, for the thickness of the rim? My Glock 42 has no problem with Fiocchi!

Maybe polishing the breech face will help with my reloads? I've also noticed that new Fiocchi ammo is crimped at .372/.373. Maybe adjusting the LFC die down to .370/.371 on my reloads will help?

I use Starline brass for my reloads. I buy them directly from starline.com. I also use range brass.

Another guy here says he found a fix for the Fiocchi brass. Had something to do with polishing the front of the leg of the extractor, which in turn allowed thicker brass under the rim. I'll see if I can find the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobshouse View Post
    Another guy here says he found a fix for the Fiocchi brass. Had something to do with polishing the front of the leg of the extractor, which in turn allowed thicker brass under the rim. I'll see if I can find the post.
    It would be fantastic if you could find this post. Thanks in advance.

At $13 a box just buy the PPU. I carry Polycase ARX now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm loading copper coated 100gr flat points over 2.9gr 231 OALat 0.95. I've shot a lot of these in the CW & CT380, and in a buddy's Sig and Beretta with good success.

Powowell: try a shorter OAL
    CT380,CW9, P45, Colt 1991A1, 1911A1 Rem-Rand, Sig GSR 45acp, Sig Ultra 45acp,Colt New Agent 9mm, German Makarov 9X18, M1 Carbines, Walther P22, Remington Nylon 66, North Amer 22, Ruger LCR 38cal, S&W Victory 38spl, S&W M15 38, Remington 870 Police 12ga.