Xssights   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace

Thread: Failure to Neutralize

Thumbs up Failure to Neutralize

Shot an IDPA match this morning. Going into the last scenario I was only 5 down. Best shooting ever. This last stage included two targets with innocents standing in front making it necessary to take head shots. Worse yet, they were shaded by a canopy and very dark. It was impossible for me to see my hits. First target got two between the eyes. Next target was another story. I must have missed completely with the first shot (high) and parted his hair with the second. All the other targets were clear. The range master had to come in for a ruling: failure to neutralize because only half the bullet hole was on the target. DAMN! Still it was a lotta fun. Close but no cigar.
    ​O|||||||O

Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    Close but no cigar.
    Just like the real world. Good shooting otherwise tho.
    Wake Up...Grow Up...Show Up...Sit Up...Shut Up...Listen Up

Which gun were you using?
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Can't say. It wasn't a Kahr. (CZ P07 .40sw).
    ​O|||||||O

I don't know about failure to neutralize. I saw a fellar in Iraq that had his hair parted by a .50 cal from a sniper. Let's just say that he's never needed another trim job! (he was wearing a "vest" so it was a good shoot no doubt) Of course, I'm pretty sure he got more than half a bullet but not much more than an entire bullet. Still, I think half a bullet would definitely ruin someone's day.

^^^ thanks. That's what the rule books call it. I'd like to think, unlike an IDPA event, in the real world I would have kept shooting until he dropped. Feedback can be a good thing.
    ​O|||||||O

Still great shooting!! Funny but true story.... mr son was in the police adacemy and shooting their lights out until he got to the hostage flipout. Over and over he drilled that poor helpless hostage between the eyes. Of course everybody but him was cracking up. With a little coaching he finally got that he whas telling himself over and over "Do NOT shoot the hostage", in other words he had target fixation. After working it out after hours he was back to targeting the bad guy not focusing on protecting the goods guy. That clearly was not your issue but still, it is a funny story.
    •"Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end." - O. L.
    • "America's not at war; her military is. America's at the mall."

yes...thanks for sharing. Kinda the rock in the road story.
    ​O|||||||O

FTNs really hurt! as the head is a down zero in IDPA and any down zero or down 1 keeps the FTN fairies away, you must have not cut the perf around the head.if you're still shooting IDPA you likely already know that.

depending where in the course of fire the head shots appear, it may warrant three instead of two shots;how many 1/100s seconds to fire extra shot compared to down 10 (2 missed shots,) + down 15 (FTN)?

I have hard time seeing head shots also, so I routinely do 3 shots ( paid off many times) unless the next target is a activator/mover combo.

NRA LIFER
    IDPA BELEIVER

Yeah. I remember kicking myself for not taking an insurance shot. I recall I was more worried about hitting the innocent. Hence the shots going high.
    ​O|||||||O