Magnum Research new   Xssights   Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Polycase ARX?

I've yet to try it or Liberty Civil Defense but both seem to be more than passing fancies. At $23 a box of 20 ARX is a tad pricy but I guess if you life depends on it that's really a good price. Liberty is $35 a box, even more pricey but 1900 fps. ARX is stated at 1307 fps.
    Sent from the ethers by magic.
    Archeologists have discovered that ancient people loved to drink from broken cups.

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

Ruger has put out the same thing, you get 25 per box and it's a lot cheaper. About 20 bucks at most sporting goods stores.
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

I know that this is the Poly Case ammo that is getting an assist from Ruger. There have been several reviews and ordinance gel videos since the last postings here.

I picked up two boxes of .380 Ruger ARX ammo from Brownells for $17.00 a box of 25 rounds. The cartridges are loaded in brass cases with a "JAG" headstamp. The bullet has the profile of a hardball loading except for the three flutes in each bullet.

I have not yet fired the ammo in my RM380 so my comments are from the reviews and articles I have read and the videos I have seen.

The stated velocity of the .380 round is 1315 fps with a 56 gr bullet. The gel test show that the flutes cause a very good initial wound channel from the fluid pressure that the flutes generate. Then the bullet starts to tumble as it slows. This is by design and causes even more wound damage. The bullet in .380 easily goes through 4 layers of denim and still causes the good initial wound channel. It will not clog up like a hollow point will from the cloth.

This is science and technology producing a design that works differently yet is still very effective.

Here is a review that gives a good explanation of how the round works by RealGuysReview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdkDbpOntns

Here is a gel test with denim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXlYcabJ3lY

Keep an open mind here. Things change. Remember when "polymer" handguns came out and everyone said they will never work well or catch on? Read the reports and watch the videos and draw your own conclusion. From what I have read and seen, I feel the ARX rounds are effective and a possible improvement over existing designs. The current designs will always work well.

Here is a faq page from Polycase that gives a lot of info on how their bullets are made and how they work. It's good reading.

http://www.polycaseammo.com/faq

Here is an article from Ed Head from Gunsite:

http://www.downrange.tv/blog/ruger-a...unition/36155/
    USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3
    NRA Benefactor Member

One of the problems that I see is the federal government mandating plastic bullets. If they turn out to be less effective that could be our loss. We could also face shortages like we recently experienced with conventional ammunition. Lighter bullets don't retain velocity long range and are more susceptible to wind drift. They may work well in handguns at short range and be a complete fail in rifles at long range.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

I agree with you, Muggsy, that the jury is still out on if this technology will be effective on long range rifle shots. It does seem to be that you need the mass of a heavier bullet to retain effective energy for the hit on game at long range.

That said, this does appear to be ground breaking for pistol bullets
    USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3
    NRA Benefactor Member

I work for a LGS and the Ruger ARX has been a great hit in our store. Everybody seems to like it and no complaints or problems.

I bought a box of the Ruger ARX last night and ran a few magazines through my CW380 by hand-racking the slide. It seems to feed fine. I'm going to give it a try this week. I have seen plenty of gel tests, but has anyone run across a video or write-up where someone fired the ARX bullet into animal tissue? I'm guessing there isn't yet any real world data on the bullet's effects on a human body. The gel tests are impressive, but I just keep wondering if the bullet will do the same damage in tissue. I mean, you can easily stick your finger into a block of gel, but you can't exactly stick your finger into a 6" beef roast. I know you can cut concrete with water jets, and those channels on the ARX would certainly generate water traveling at super high speed, but is there enough pressure to cut the tissue in the same way as it does in gel?

I've had a troublemaking raccoon turning over our garbage cans, so if the opportunity presents itself, I'll be sure to let you know how the ARX performs in a raccoon.

Salty

^^^Yes, I would want to know how fast it will put down a raccoon. We need to know the RSP (Racoon Stopping Power) before entrusting our lives in the real world against Raccoons with Rabies.

Why do people keep buying ammo they know nothing about??????????? The regular stuff works just fine, and has for years. Just ask the people who have been shot.

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    Why do people keep buying ammo they know nothing about??????????? The regular stuff works just fine, and has for years. Just ask the people who have been shot.
    Most of 'em are pretty quiet or maybe it's hard to hear them six feet under.
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets