Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I need to get a new blade

Quote Originally Posted by Droolguy View Post
    Thats true, with the blade minimum and opening assist I assumed he wanted a combat knife of some kind.

Never asked what style he was looking for.
    Defensive and utility uses.
    I am the Living Man

Quote Originally Posted by Droolguy View Post
    So, I think everyone may be getting a bit off topic.

The first thing the OP says is that the knife must be four inches minimum.

To counter everyone who is trying to push smaller knives, when used as a weapon blade length and weight (longer and lighter respectively) are king.

Doesn't matter how sharp your knife is if the other guy has more reach and causes deeper wounds.

But, we still don't know intended use because the OP hasn't elaborated.

A utility knife is almost literally the exact opposite of a fighting or combat knife.
    Agree with most but the last part.
    I am the Living Man

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Only thing I could say and it will undoubtedly stir the pot which is good since it's been stagnant around here lately is nobody wins in a knife fight.

In my admittedly small mind anyone who carries a knife other than an absolute last resort tool for survival is a fool.
    In my wardrobe it's a tool of many uses but knife fighting is way way way down low on the list.

I'd rather have a 6' 2x4 or a cane or stick to go up against a 4" knife.

Now if the Op is set on a 4" minimum, more power to him, there's certainly a sack full to choose from.
    Thought you might find this interesting. It has been around so u might have seen it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_KJ1R2PCMM
    I am the Living Man

We actually had dept training very similar to that video.

The usual big mistake is going for the gun when there isn't time. When the attacker makes his move lateral movement to throw off their game plan.

It's said that even at 21 ft if the attacker has made up his mind to attack, even if hit his brain will still try to carry it out. Lateral movement mess's that part up.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by knkali View Post
    Agree with most but the last part.
    I assume you mean "A utility knife is almost literally the exact opposite of a fighting or combat knife."

Which is a true statement, *almost* all dedicated work knives are short and heavy. They are short because you gain a significant amount of tip control, and heavy because it makes the knife resist being deflected (makes it stabler) as well as provides longevity.

Now that your back, did you decide on anything? I'm interested in seeing what you picked.

Also, what didn't you like about the CRKT? It might steer us in the direction of something you would like by eliminating things that have stuff you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    We actually had dept training very similar to that video.

The usual big mistake is going for the gun when there isn't time. When the attacker makes his move lateral movement to throw off their game plan.

It's said that even at 21 ft if the attacker has made up his mind to attack, even if hit his brain will still try to carry it out. Lateral movement mess's that part up.
    So, your saying that someone charging you isn't going to expect you to try and get out of the way by stepping to the side? That's what lateral movement is, side stepping.

I am pretty sure that's the first thing everyone expects.

If someone charges you with a knife and you don't have a weapon out then it's already too late, run away until you can get your weapon out.

Then face your attacker.

It's that simple.

It's not cool looking but it's a hell of a lot more effective than attempting to side step.

By lateral movement you lead the dance and the attacker has to follow. He's already running and your at a standing start. Lateral movement is king even shooting bullets.

The main point of the lateral in this instance was at 21 feet, you somehow managed to get your gun out and shoot the knife wielder but his brain has already decided to stab you to death. He's basically dead, shot real good but his brain told his body to act.
    So there's a delay and he might keep coming, hence shoot em and then lateral movement because the brain has already sent a message and location, you be somewhere else.

This sorta sucks for me since wheelchairs don't go sideways for beans, ya know?

This is also why some adhere to the theory of shooting in the pelvis or the leg or the face neck area. Even with the brain having already sent the signal, if the transmission is blown they are going down.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

In the event that...

A. The attacker is already running at you full speed.
    B. You already have your weapon out.
    C. You have already shot the attacker.

I agree with your statement.

M16-14ZLEK - Kit Carson Design this is one of my favorites. I got the large size, ny son got the smaller one.

http://www.crkt.com/M16-14ZLEK
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

Not a folder.
    Nothing utility about it.
    But It's really compact and has a 4 1/2" blade.