Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I Purchase a K9?

Default Should I Purchase a K9?

Background: I currently own 2 handguns- my first ever, an H&K VP9 (9mm), which I purchased about 8 months go and thoroughly enjoy, and a Walther PPQ-M22, (.22lr) which I bought about 2 months ago to give me a similar form factor and function to my VP9 with lower ammo costs (i.e., more bangs per buck at the range). I wasn't planning on another handgun, but I have an extra purchase permit thanks to an administrative error by my local PD. If that's not a sign that I should buy another...

Note: I live in NJ, with very strict laws and thus concealed carry is NOT an option. Which leaves home defense and range as my primary uses. Also worth noting is that I won't own a lot of guns, this will be the last for a long time.

Over the past few weeks, I've become somewhat obsessed with the K9 Elite 03, but I'm not really sure why. If I could carry concealed, this would be a no-brainer, but I can't, so why is this gun still in my decision set?

Favorable Factors:

• 9mm - I think for ammo cost and consistency w/my other handgun, I'd like to stay in 9mm
    • All metal frame combined with smaller form factor to create stability and reduce recoil (I've shot .380s and HATE the snappiness). I would entertain a small/compact factor if it handled well at the range and I could get good purchase on it.
    • It's different/uncommon - I'm not trying to make a statement, as practically nobody but me will ever see or use this gun, but quality and uniqueness count for me
    • Really nice looking gun - viewed from a 'collectible' perspective.
    • Very positive reviews from owners, esp. for feel, accuracy, quality
    • Interesting DAO trigger choice (Aside: semi-auto handguns have always 'scared' me a little from a safety perspective. Put simply, I can pick up a revolver and pull the trigger - with some effort - it goes bang. Semi's I have to wonder, is it loaded? Is a round chambered? Is the hammer/striker cocked? Is there a manual safety? I realize these things don't matter at the range and really most other times, but still - the idea of requiring a little more physical effort (via DAO or even DA/SA) but w/greater simplicity is a plus to me and if I COULD carry, would be a must.

Questionable Factors:

• Size. I am 5'10 and have fairly large hands. I have no problems w/my double-stack VP9, it actually feels great. Will the K9 feel too small in my hands? Most reviewers seem to think it fits just right.
    • Trigger - Most owners claim that the DAO works fine for them with some practice. But am I potentially messing myself w/respect to practice consistency since my primary home defense weapon (the VP9) more closely resembles SA?
    • What 'role' will this serve? For the range - small form factor and only 7+1 seem to count against for the range. Home Defense- no rail and only 7+1 seem to count against; DAO counts in favor. Does it need to have a role?
    • Given that I'm not carrying, should I be thinking of something bigger? a T9? I've read good things about them, but much more about the K9; also, that's opening a whole diff can of worms

Some of my questions might be addressed if I could actually hold/handle the K9, but I haven't found a dealer near me that has one. I called Kahr and they said, "we sell to distributors, so we don't know what retailers have them on site at any time"

FYI, the desire to have an all-metal 9 led me to add a couple others to my consideration set:

• CZ 75-PCR -- DA/SA, 14rds, called a 'compact', but it's almost the size of my VP9; also, it's not as pretty/unique as the K9
    • Sig P239 -- DA/SA, 8rds. Appears to be high quality, bu ironically this one I DID handle at my LGS and I really wasn't crazy about how it felt (balance-wise).

Ruled out:
    • Kimber Ultra 9 - seems to be some controversy around reliability/functionality on this model (and mini 1911's in general)
    • Sig P229 -- they make a really nice SS version, but it's 40oz and frame is too large (despite being called a compact).
    • HK P7 -- too expensive and hard to find

I realize that by definition, participants in this forum are probably biased...and maybe that's what I subliminally want; in any case, I would appreciate any applicable feedback from the community that's relevant to the factors that I've raised above.

Thanks in advance!

Capp, welcome, glad you found us. While most are of course biased most of us also like variety so we're not completely biased.
    The K9 is a great gun, probably the flag ship of Kahr, it along with it's little brother the MK are enjoyed and carried by many.

That being said based on your location and your apparent plan to adhere to the local laws I see no point in a compact gun myself. You could certainly get one and use it for both range and home with hopes that things may improve in your area, positive thoughts are always a good thing.

You might try to find a T9, hard to find but much sought after as well.
    I don't think I'm helping here much just tossing stuff out.

I deleted the second version of your first post, not sure why it showed up twice. Both were in the K section so no loss.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Yes, get the K9. I bet you will love it.
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.

If it won't be carried, get a T9.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, SP101

[QUOTE=Bawanna;352313]Capp, welcome, glad you found us. While most are of course biased most of us also like variety so we're not completely biased.
    The K9 is a great gun, probably the flag ship of Kahr, it along with it's little brother the MK are enjoyed and carried by many.

That being said based on your location and your apparent plan to adhere to the local laws I see no point in a compact gun myself. You could certainly get one and use it for both range and home with hopes that things may improve in your area, positive thoughts are always a good thing.

You might try to find a T9, hard to find but much sought after as well.
    I don't think I'm helping here much just tossing stuff out.

I deleted the second version of your first post, not sure why it showed up twice. Both were in the K section so no loss.[/QU

damn, I hate to agree with the colonel, he gets such a big head over it. But I have a used K9 nypd trigger een and it is just one hell of a shooter, but again it is my range/home gun and nutting more. Knowing what I do now, if I had a chance to purchase a T9, I would go for it over the K9, just because. My dealer here carries alot of kahrs, but NO t SERIES OR tp SERIES , LUCKY TOS EE A k9 IN HIS CASE EVEN.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Hello capp5050 and welcome to the gang.....My opinion is yes get a K9 if you can find a nice one, you may one day not live in a Commie state like New Crappy your whole life and a nice pistol like a K9 is very useful for both home defense as well as concealed weapon which you might find yourself needing sometime, law or no law, your life matters more than what some bureaucrat says......

Get one, either a K9 or a M9 because they're getting hard to find in good used condition...In my area (Georgia) I've never seen either one, plenty of PM's, CM's and CW's but never a nice K9....Again welcome to Kahrtalk and even if you don't get a Kahr you're always welcome to come jaw here

Quote Originally Posted by capp5050 View Post
    ...If that's not a sign that I should buy another...
    Sign? You don't need no steengkeeng sign! Welcome Capp. Seriously, if you can find a T9, buy it. But it's really just a bigger K9 so get one of those if it's more available. Or have you considered a K40? It's a sweet shooter too and you would open up your world to another caliber. I remember the last ammo crunch: .40sw was more available and cheaper than 9mm. Variety is good!

Best of luck. Enjoy. Nice gun that VP9 btw. You have good taste.
    ​O|||||||O

If weight were not an issue, I'd own a K9 (or better yet a K45).

That K9 (or was it MK9) with the custom grips in a recent thread was THE CATS ASS!

Personally, you could do much worse for a handgun. For a 9mm, jeeze, the K9 is not a bad choice in a DAO type of handgun.

All of that from a .45 sort of shooter, who also happens to own three Browning HP's - and oldie oldie, a mid 70's commercial, and a mid 90's target (non Browning USA) model.

Also own a PM0, because I need the occasional lower weight, smaller print sort of pistol.

I really like the K9. In my experience, it won't bother your trigger conditioning on your PPQ or VP9 at all. In fact, you will probably be better with them after using the K9. I have 2.

Also love CZs. If the PCR seems small, go to a regular 75B. There are lots of variants, from SP01 to regular. Either type can be had with a decocker or regular safety. You would develop skills with a hammer and DA/SA. You might find you prefer it to the VP9 or at least would have a very viable backup. Hammers give you lots of options safety wise and you can see what is going on with them as compared to a striker fired pistol.

I'm probably not helping, because the T9 is a great thought too.
    Aftermarket accessories for Kahr Pistols at https://lakelinellc.com/
    There are always more in the pipeline...

There are 2 T9's on Gunbroker, and one in my state capital on armslist. I see the T9's around here a few times a year. They are nice, and they are around. Wood grips, and they are a thing of beauty. I actually love the CZ and the Sig that you have handled.