Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun   Xssights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help!

Default Need some help!

Hey,
    Just got my first 1927 A1 in the shop and I have some issues. I was having trouble getting it to feed. I think the mag lips were the culprit here. Did some bending and it feeds OK now. In fact way to OK.

What would cause the firing Pin to stay en-gauged all the time. I finally got it to feed OK and now it will run a lot of rounds out all at once. It seems to me that the firing pin is staying out all the time. Not sure why this would happen. I hope I am heading in the right direction. Any ideas? I am looking at several things but am I looking at the right one. DO I need to head in another direction? Let me know what you think. Have any of you ever had this problem before?

Thanks for any help.
    Randy
    BPG

PS my shop is at http://www.bulletproofgunsmithing.net. I am a 07 Licensed Gunsmith.

You should be able to check to see if the FP is stuck out... just sayin.

I'm no expert on the 1927 A-1, but I would hazard to guess that your problem is in the disconnector, or firing pin spring. The 1927 A-1 fires from an open bolt. This film maybe of help to you. It explains how the guns function.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcBKnn8mGc0
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Thanks CJB

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    I'm no expert on the 1927 A-1, but I would hazard to guess that your problem is in the disconnector, or firing pin spring. The 1927 A-1 fires from an open bolt. This film maybe of help to you. It explains how the guns function.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcBKnn8mGc0
    Thanks muggsy, This is an awesome video and I will keep a copy of the link. However, I did not explain myself fully. This is a newer Auto-Ordnance/Kahr Model 1927 A1 a semi-automatic version of the original model. It fires from a closed bolt.

The gun came in for a feeding issue. The customer brought it in with a 30 round stick mag. The hole in the mag seemed to be enlarged. I made a metal shim to get the mag closer to the bolt in passing during a standard cycle of operation. I also adjusted the feed lips of the mag a slight bit.

Now it feeds OK but when I pulled the trigger the first time it ran about 10 to 12 rounds through on one pull of the trigger. Caught me by surprise since it is the semi-auto version i was not expecting this. Now that I have this bad-boy feeding I need to find out what is not working correctly in the Fire Control Group or the trigger assemble on the lower receiver. Is it the dis-connector or do I have it assembled wrong. Is there another piece broken? I was hoping that someone here with some bench time on one of these to give me a heads up of what may be the issue. I can get parts in several places but need some help in identifying which one is broken or what I need to look at next in order to repair this thing.

Thanks for all the help so far.
    Randy/BPG

As far as I know, the only difference between the semi and full auto Thompson is the selector switch. Otherwise, they work the same. Without seeing the gun, I'd say that your problem is a firing pin that sticking in the bolt, a broken firing pin return spring, or a broken or stuck disconnector. It could be that a part was assembled wrong or was inadvertently left out. Here's another pair of videos on disassembly and reassembly that may be of help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NblrrAPCiK0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H38kpuqu8NM
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

For some unexplained reason the Kahr Thompsons have a different mag catch so a standard GI mag will not work without elongating the hole to fit the gun.

Many have modified the gun so we don't have to ruin the rapidly decreasing supply of GI mags.
    I did this myself and was very happy I did.

I'm not authority on the thing but if there's something I can look at on mine for comparison on yours I'd be happy to do that.

I do think your dealing with two unrelated issues. The feed issue is rather common and it could be you addressed that on a poorly modified stick mag.

I'm not sure what to do to help you since I've not experience what you have and hope I never do, I'd of course love a full auto but that would be scary expecting one and get 8 or 9 at once.

Ghostsoldier if he's watching is pretty intimate with these he may have some clues for us.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Hey Ghostsoldier if your out there,
    I have fixed the feeding issue. In the fire control group on the trigger there is a small assembly called the lifter. It is on a post that has to have the rivet flattened on it to secure it in place. The lifter and spring on this was riding out of the fire control group and into the side of the lower receiver and causing issues when picking up the next round out of the mag. I flattened the rivet and installed the spring. Then I put it all back together and tried the first run with 7 rounds. Worked great. Tried the next one with 25. Again worked great. Now feeds correctly and cycles to the hold open when last round fired. Now it all works correctly except one little thing.

Every now and again it will shoot 3 to 4 additional rounds on one pull of the trigger or if I hold the trigger back. What in the fire control system would be causing this issue. Have any of you ever had this happen and if so what did you do?

Thanks for all the help so far and any that may come.
    Randy/BPG

Quote Originally Posted by BPG View Post
    Hey,
    Just got my first 1927 A1 in the shop and I have some issues. I was having trouble getting it to feed. I think the mag lips were the culprit here. Did some bending and it feeds OK now. In fact way to OK.

What would cause the firing Pin to stay en-gauged all the time. I finally got it to feed OK and now it will run a lot of rounds out all at once. It seems to me that the firing pin is staying out all the time. Not sure why this would happen. I hope I am heading in the right direction. Any ideas? I am looking at several things but am I looking at the right one. DO I need to head in another direction? Let me know what you think. Have any of you ever had this problem before?

Thanks for any help.
    Randy
    BPG

PS my shop is at http://www.bulletproofgunsmithing.net. I am a 07 Licensed Gunsmith.

the magazine hole has to be ob longed. every mag hole is different. the locking won`t engage to keep the mag locked in.

OK Guys,
    I have become a fairly good smith on these things now. I started checking off items one by one and here is what I found:
    1) Sear had been filed. It was at an obtuse angle to the firing pin and was not reliable in it's ability to catch the pin as it went by. (Replaced)
    2) Since I was in the neighborhood I checked the firing pin. It was also out of spec. (Replaced)
    3) The dis connector end was also damaged from the problem I repaired in the last post with the FCG and Lifter.

Once all these items were replaced I did the following:
    A) Polished the bolt exterior.
    B) Polished the upper receiver in the bolt travel path.
    C) Removed material in the upper receiver at the point where the bolt goes into battery for a smoother transition. It was striking this area a small bit.
    D) Filed the Sear and Firing Pin to time them for release. NOTE: If you put these in new and try to fire the weapon it may lock up. It would be almost impossible to get the rifle apart then.

This thing now works like a champ.

Thanks for the input.

Randy
    BPG