Kahr Shop   Xssights   Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Side Plate removal on a C45

Default Side Plate removal on a C45

If and when I find the right screw driver, are there any unpleasant surprises when you remove the side plate?

Is that one of those deals were springs go flying or is it relatively unexciting?

Pretty boring really. Nothing should jump out at you.

I didn't like the way the screw looked on your earlier picture, just didn't look right to me.

The potentially exciting part is putting the screw back in. Don't have your Wheaties that morning or be worked up about anything. Leave anything bull in the china closet in another room.
    Be gentle. Metal into tupperware, metal wins every time. No magic, just don't use your 3/4" impact driver, might be overkill.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
    If and when I find the right screw driver, are there any unpleasant surprises when you remove the side plate?

Is that one of those deals were springs go flying or is it relatively unexciting?
    It is a T5 Torx bit that you need to remove it.

No, there is no "flying surprises" or anything exciting under the frame side panel.

But, there are some under the rear slide plate though! lol

IMO the best thig is to leave thaqt area alone, there is uttin there u can help, and taking that screw out can later on cause u an issue, as it threads into the polymer, so easy to strip out. It is really not put there to fokk with. Just my 21 cents on this .
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Jocko ya old goat, I think Iggy is getting a new side plate from Kahr so don't think he's got a lot of choice.

I generally agree it's an area best left alone but in this case he boldly has to go where no # 5 torx bit has gone before.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Matt at Kahr says that screw supposedly goes into a metal stud in the frame. Itchy sez that side plate ain't no big deal. So I may just leave it alone.

She's a Virgo and usually everything has to be just perfect.. If she don't care, I don't either.. She can sure as heck shoot it, side plate or no side plate.

She's wicked with tomahawk, a knife or a gun.. I can tell you for sure, I walk the line around that gal..

If it does indeed screw into a metal stud, that's wonderful news, wish there was a stud on the slide lock lever spring.

Now you gotta dodge the tomahawk, knives and guns and do to see if there's really metal in there or not.

Your our recon patrol. Go forth and check it out. Iffen Itchy says it's ok of course.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Bawanna,

Sounds like you know Itchy. She's meaner than a junk yard dog if somebody gets cross-wise with her, but she's the best backup in the world.. I think I'll keep her, or vice versa if I'm lucky..

Yup I'd predict it taint a matter of you keeping her, it's a matter of her keeping you.

I think my wife might be similar. My suggestion is be kind, be gentle, and when she's off her feed, sleep with a metal garbage can over your head. Makes em harder to get at your throat when your sleepin.

It's a scary world sometimes.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Matt at Kahr says that screw supposedly goes into a metal stud in the frame.....
    I'm inclined to doubt that. The screw may hit the rear rail insert, but I don't think it threads into it. I've inserted a paper clip with a magnet attached into that screw hole felt no type of attraction to the frame. Then there's the screw, which has coarse threads that to my mind are more suitable for securing in polymer than a "metal stud". I've never noticed any difference of material when removing or installing that screw.
    One thing of note, at least on my CW45, there is a stud with a ball end on the side plate that pushes/snaps into a hole on the frame. I had to slide a tool under the slide plate to pop that stud free before I could get my side plate off

The front edge of the side plate goes inside the frame, so only the rear will lift until it clears the frame and the plate can be moved rearward:
    AEnemaBay's photo:

FWIW, Kahr frame inserts:

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>