Xssights   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen

Thread: AOM130 Bolt Problem

Default AOM130 Bolt Problem

I purchased a new Auto Ordnance bolt for my AOM130 and all the small parts for the bolt to freshen up my carbine. The plan was to keep the old assembled bolt as a spare. I assembled the new bolt with new parts, installed it in my M1 Carbine and started to have problems with misfires. Some rounds I had to chamber two or three times before they finally fired. I had water in my basement for a day and suspected that the high humidity had an adverse effect on the ammunition I had stored there. I tried buying new ammunition, cleaning the carbine several times, you name it, and the problem persisted.

Once the new bolt began to show wear marks I compared the old bolt face to the new bolt face and noticed the primer wear marks were not the same. The primer mark on the new bolt face looks offset compared to the old bolt face, which is perfectly centered. I fired more rounds with the new bolt and the firing pin indentations appeared to be on the outer edge of the primers. I fired rounds with the old bolt and the firing pin indentations were perfectly centered.

Today I took the carbine with the old bolt installed to the range and fired 5 different kinds of ammunition without fail. All the ammunition that was in my basement when the humidity was high fired flawlessly.

It appears the firing pin hole was drilled off center on the new bolt. Has anyone else ran across this issue? I sent a detailed e-mail to Kahr Arms Sales and CC'd Service a few days ago and await a response from the company.

I really love this carbine and enjoy shooting it more than my AR-15 or any other rifle I own. There is something special about a rifle made out of iron and wood. It's like holding a piece of history. The local gun shop has Auto Ordnance M1 Carbines in stock and I am really tempted to buy a second carbine.

Hopefully Kahr will send you a new bolt, sounds like that one was drilled or machined wrong.

I don't have one myself, I do have an original that's just a hoot. I agree steel and wood beats tupperware 8 days a week.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Hopefully Kahr will send you a new bolt, sounds like that one was drilled or machined wrong.

I don't have one myself, I do have an original that's just a hoot. I agree steel and wood beats tupperware 8 days a week.
    That is what I hope will happen. If you build enough of anything, cars, trucks, motorcycles, refrigerators, etc., once in a while something slides through the cracks.

I also own a GI carbine but my AOM130 is much more accurate than my Quality Hardware GI carbine, so it sees more range time.

Funny, that's what mine is too. Quality Hardware and Machine. One of the fewest made and we know where two of them are for sure.

Mine is pristine, my friends uncle that gave it to me didn't use it much, got the canvas carry bag and mag pouches with it too.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I still haven't heard from Sales or Customer Service. I guess I'll have to start making telephone calls tomorrow.

The bolt has been at Kahr Arms for 4 weeks. No one has returned my telephone messages or emails. I am very disappointed. I am going to have to start calling on a daily basis until I am able to reach someone.

I received a replacement for the defective bolt in the mail. I installed it in my carbine and the new bolt fails on the Field headspace gauge. I am not going to pursue the matter any further and chalk it up to experience.

Don: Get in touch with Fulton Armory. They have complete forged replacement bolts for sale for $199.99 + shipping. Have the bolt properly head spaced and complete reassembly.

Go with God.

I have it on good authority that you should obtain your replacement bolt from Auto Ordnance because if you buy one from Fulton Armory, it may not fit.

Auto Ordnance should "make it good". Send the entire rifle to Auto Ordnance with instructions to return the rifle directly to you (this isn't unlawful). As long as Auto Ordnance isn't installing a new receiver that will ultimately change the pieces serial number, the entire rifle can probably be shipped to you without violating Federal law.

Good luck.