Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light strikes and Kahr customer service

Default Light strikes and Kahr customer service

I said I'd update when my P380 came back from Kahr, but I can't find the old thread now. Anyway I sent it in for light strikes that started recently after thousands of rounds through the gun by me and the guy I bought it from. I was thinking it was striker spring or striker pin, but my laziness in not trying to disassemble the slide myself and replace those parts paid off because that wasn't it. Kahr inspected and REPLACED THE BARREL. I don't get how the barrel could be the culprit, but the gun dealer who shipped it for me said maybe the cartridge sometimes seated a little too deep into the chamber, which makes sense I guess. Certainly the problem is gone, it was flawless at the range today.

Anyway I gotta give kudos to CS. I didn't try to get them to pay shipping to the factory because its so far out of warranty and I got the P380 used. However they've charged me a total of zero all three times I've needed service 2x on the gun and one on a mag, and this time they replaced the barrel, which is expensive in the P series. Free.
    Last edited by SlowBurn; 11-06-2015 at 11:47 AM.
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

That's a happy story and I love happy stories.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I like it when a plan comes together. I had a similar experience with my P380 when the frame failed. Kahr replaced it and paid for the shipping both ways. The only difference being that I was the original owner and the gun was less than a year old. I have no complaints with Kahr service, or their products. As far as I'm concerned Kahr is top shelf in every respect.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Kahr also replaced the barrel ,extractor, , recoil guide springs, and magazine springs when I sent my p380 in for repairs.

Might have been trash build up in the striker area but kahr is good for replacing most loose parts as long as its in for some TLC . Learn to take the striker parts out and clean it . Its not hard to do just cover over with a white sheet just in case a spring or plunger parts try to take a unscheduled flight !!

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    Might have been trash build up in the striker area but kahr is good for replacing most loose parts as long as its in for some TLC . Learn to take the striker parts out and clean it . Its not hard to do just cover over with a white sheet just in case a spring or plunger parts try to take a unscheduled flight !!
    I took my p380 slide apart for the first time this morning. After I applied the coat hanger striker spring retractor tool I held the slide in a sealed gallon size zip lock bag. I poked my small jewelers screwdriver through the bag and released the back plate and disassembled the slide inside the bag. No flying parts but the bag would have kept them from disappearing. Worked great.

Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    Kahr also replaced the barrel ,extractor, , recoil guide springs, and magazine springs when I sent my p380 in for repairs.
    that really tells me that khar had no clue what ur issues were so they just replaced damn near everything that moved.... hope it is OK now.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

If they replaced the barrel, that means that the chamber had excess headspace. When you have excess headspace, the round isn't adequately captured between the breech and the headspace datum in the chamber due to excess clearance between chamber and brass not arresting forward movement. When the striker impacts the primer, the cartridge moves forward in the chamber slightly, which robs some of its energy needed to ignite the primer. It's a common issue with any firearm whenever you have excess headspace. The same can happen if you set the shoulder back too far when sizing a CF rifle case when handloading.

I highly doubt that "Kahr had no clue what ur issues were so they just replaced everthing that moved." More likely is that while the pistol was there, they inspected the remaining parts and noted that the springs were fatigued and replaced them. Most gun companies inspect the entire gun for safety whenever one comes in for service.

Quote Originally Posted by skiflydive View Post
    I took my p380 slide apart for the first time this morning. After I applied the coat hanger striker spring retractor tool I held the slide in a sealed gallon size zip lock bag. I poked my small jewelers screwdriver through the bag and released the back plate and disassembled the slide inside the bag. No flying parts but the bag would have kept them from disappearing. Worked great.
    Now THAT is a Brilliant Solution. ... "sealed gallon size zip lock bag". Pure genius.

I wasn't so brave though. When it was time to clean the slide internals of my PM9, I stroked a check to my gunsmith at my range.

Tim

If a gallon sized zip lock bag is good a dry cleaners bag is even better. You can crawl inside of it. Even Bawanna looks better with a bag over his head.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380