CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace   Xssights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charter Pitbull .45ACP Review w/range report

Default Charter Pitbull .45ACP Review w/range report

Went and plunked down $15 and signed the papers, so the Pitbull .45 is now my own.

First impression was - bigger than I expected, but not huge. More on that after a bit.

The revolver is hugely more than "not bad". Its quite good. As someone who's cut metal lots, its pretty easy for me to pick up on spotty work that's been covered up with bead blasting. None of that here. Parts finish externally is quite good. The bead blast finish is quite fine, appears to be even, well executed, very fine in texture. Finer than the beaded surfaces on, say, a Kahr slide. To be honest, the beaded finish is there to hide small irregularities, so they don't need to fix every little mark. So, I'm sure there are some stray marks there...

Mechanical - high marks. Starting up front - muzzle crown is nicely done, stands up to scrutiny under a 7x loupe. Rifling not evaluated, as the bore has some crud in it from test firing. Barrel (and front sight) are nice and plumb, not canted. Crane locks up tight. Cylinder gap is even, not measured, but hey... its not huge and neither is it dragging, so its ok in my book. It looks good. Chambers are smooth. Forcing cone is a bit dirty so I can't really judge it fully, but... it looks evenly cut. Firing pin protrusion, not measured, but looks good, not shallow nor a primer piercer either. Rear sight notch is centered, square and deep. Cylinder endshake is nil. Cylinder lockup - which must be evaluated with the trigger pulled back as if firing - is as tight as any of my other revolvers, except maybe the Vaquero which is exceptionally tight. Checkering on the hammer is fine, but sharp and well done.

Trigger pull. DA is not the terrible Charter pull I had imagined it would be. It feels just about the same as my dead stock S&W 640 (Jframe/.357). The Smith and the Charter (and most Ruger's) have a rather blunt trigger, leaving a bit of a corner that my index finger finds objectionable if I use the wrap around double action finger placement. That I can get rid of in a few seconds with a small file (and some tape for protection on the trigger guard). Smoothness... you feel more going on than a J frame, about the same as an L frame (bypassing K). You're spinning a bit of weight with that .45ACP cylinder and you feel its start and stop and latch moving. I dont think that can be helped much. SA is perfect. I mean just perfect. Light, imperceptible creep. Its gotta be 3lbs dead even. Zero complaints there. The hammer does not push off (as some S&W's do).

Grips are decent manly size, and fit the frame well with no shake. Engravings (stamping actually) is even, deep and crisp. The serial number is...apparently some very nice machine engraving (probably automatically done).

Loading and unloading rimless ammo. Its not just a "drop it in" sort of affair. You have to push the cartridge down into the chamber. The springs in the extractor will drag a little on the walls of the cartridge when you do this... so you need to push them home. Gravity is not enough to get 'em seated fully. One nice whack on the ejector rod and out come the empties. I had the usual "one round didn't fall out" since it was partly obscured by the grip when ejecting. An empty would have fallen free. The loaded round being longer... it needed to go back further, and the grip is there. No big deal.

The book says use brass case, not aluminum or steel. Also says +P is not recommended, since it doesn't work well in a 2.5 inch barrel anyway. Can't comment to that last part... just passing along what they say.

And they say very little... the instructions are SPARSE at best.

The case is ok, nothing special. It came with what was the cheeziest gun lock I've ever seen. Looked like red candy, and was basically a screw clamp for the trigger guard, with a funky pronged screwdriver/disk for making it work. I immediately lost it on purpose.

All in all... I''m WAY IMPRESSED, and very pleased with this .45ACP revolver.

Some bad points - very few. The corner of the trigger. That's me, not the gun. Given any type of finger, and any type of trigger curvature and finish... I seem to find the one's that have corners that are not quite to my liking. Its a non issue in defensive duty, only a pain when you're firing double action over and over again, as in... when dry firing a new revolver!

I had a small issue that was self correcting. The cylinder latch didn't quite reset. The part I'm talking about is the "bolt" as some call it, or latch, that keeps the cylinder from turning and locks it into position so a chamber is lined up with the barrel. The cylinder would lock up tight. The latch wasn't unlatching. What that turned out to be was some rough finish (I'm guessing), or crud. The "fix" was to open the cylinder, pull back the cylinder release and dry fire while allowing the trigger to "snap" back forward a few times. Totally fixed. Speaking about open cylinder dry firing, you can feel how smooth the trigger is when doing that. Any disruption of that smooth pull is from the cylinder having to swing around to the next chamber.

And finally the one cosmetic flaw, which i will not correct. Looks there was a tiny bit of flash/swarf left on one of the frame holes, which took on the look of a raised, but flat, ring when the cross pin was put in and whacked home. Very minor. I could fix this by driving out the pin, then removing the flashing. I won't. Its too hard to see and I didn't even notice until I had the eyeloupe out.

Back the size thing. It feels like a K frame. Just barely peeks out of my jean's pocket. I'm ok with the size, seems necessary to the design.

And there ya have it. More as it comes... pictures later... or more likely, tomorrow sometime.
    Last edited by CJB; 11-21-2015 at 03:59 PM.

Great review CJB, thanks and congrats....This looks like something I have to have....

And.... someone with a bit of knowledge, and the right reamer... probably could convert this to .45 Long Colt

The cylinder is long enough, just barely, but hey... it works. The way they arranged the gap at the back of the cylinder... is perfect. Only bugbear is the case mouth headspace and extractor being uncut for rims.

Somehow I think Charter already knows this......

They say that size doesn't matter, but then again who are they to say. Nice review.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

There's a comparison with the J frame.

Both revolvers have had their grips shortened.

I'll probably shoot this tomorrow, just to see how it behaves

Nice. Not a whole lot bigger.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Yah and the gripframe is round back. So... I just shortened the grips, but I gotta do a bit of contouring when I get back to Mr. Beltsander. Round out the back a bit, radius the bottom edge with is smooth, but flat as ass on an ninety pound crack whore.

Hey, I got a chance between rainstorms to do a little firing of the Charter Pitbull .45

Only a few cylinders full, 20 rounds.

Here's what I got to say - my constant dry firing in double action mode smoothed things up considerably.

Not while shooting, but an experienced shooter I met with yesterday, asked about my big bore revolver. I told him not to look at the name, don't open the cylinder (I showed him it was empty). Just try some single and double action dry firing.

He wanted to know if it was a new 625 variant. Nope! Charter Arms. His next verbal response was "dayumn!" Smooth double action now that the star has settled in a bit. I used just a dab of TW25b on it, which is a decent lube for that application. Single action has always been really nice.

So the shooting - five rounds double action, no light hits (as some have reported with Charter). Five empties pressed out with an easy stroke of the ejector. I was shooting Federal 230g hardball. Five shots single action, same thing. All empties came out easy. No hangups. Five more double action. Same perfection in firing and ejection. Repeat again for the final five in single action.

I wasn't getting bored, but the sky was gonna open up and I really didn't have the inclination to mess with a paper or wooden target... so no accuracy or high/low, left/right comments to offer.

I know, not the greatest test in the world, either.

A couple of other things I noticed. The recoil was nil. I mean it was just a little bit stouter than a medium frame .38 Special. My 3" SP-101 .38 Special kicks the about the same with 158 +P loads. Meaning....

The Charter Pitbull .45 is a really fun gun to shoot. I mean REALLY fun. Sight radius of just over four and a half inches, makes it feel as if its going to be reasonably accurate. Nobody really complains about the accuracy of Charter Arms, unless they're shaving bullets or shooting to the left or right, so I'm hoping I'll see good accuracy when I can finally get out of the backyard and to a paper punchin' situation.

Recoil was far less than any .45 automatic I can recall firing, except maybe my huge FNX-45 which is really soft shooting.

The other thing is the really superb balance of this little revolver. Well maybe not totally little, but not huge either. It balances like a .45 SAA with a 4-1/2 inch barrel (or New Vaquero with its 4-5/8 inch barrel). Its just perfect. Not sure if it points "like the Finger of God", but it really feels well balanced, with a sort of comfortable heft. Not too heavy, and not too light. It feels right.

Keep in mind too, I'm shooting it with grips that have been shortened by nearly 3/4 inch in the front and about 1/4 inch in the back (see the pictures of it, somewhere in another thread), so YMMV depending on your hand, grip selection etc etc.

Here's what. I'm happy with this revolver. I carried it today for the second time, but this time with confidence. And, it really felt at home in the left inside pocket of my vest, while the PM45 was in my right jeans pocket, as I rode my Harley back home from about 85 miles away (after repairing it "in the field", during the last two weeks).

In fact, I'm so pleased, come the middle of December, I'm going to order up another. Just as one PM45 is not enough, neither is one of these. That's how good I feel about this revolver.

And.... I called Charter Monday. Dee Ecker answered the phone. I ordered up a hammer so I could bob it. It arrived Thursday, fully assembled with lever and spring stuff, ready to bob. Got no complaints with that. Tried the hammer, works as well as the original, so... cut off wheel, some sanding, some buffing, and a bead blast, and I'll be in business.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Excellent report, I was wondering yesterday if you'd get to shoot it. Thanks for the update.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Thanks for the good reports, I was wondering about bobbing the hammer, always good for a carry gun, but you said how nice the SA was. Maybe leave a stub and checker it so you could till use SA.
    "The Deacon" Zoot Shooter #84
    Yup, I'm the guy at Surplus Rifle