Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: service life of Kahr K9?

Default service life of Kahr K9?

Hey there. I'm not exactly new to Kahr arms (I've had my K9 for a couple years now) but I am new to these forums.

I keep the K9 in a regular rotation of off-duty carry guns, the other two being the Sig P239 and the Ruger SP101. I'm finding myself carrying the Kahr more and more, for a long list of good reasons. I probably have around 4-500 rounds through it without any failures.

If taken care of, how long (or how many rounds, I guess I should say) can I expect out of my Kahr?

You'll wear out the barrel long before you wear out the gun. One of our members has run more than 32.000 rounds through his PM9 and it's still going strong.
    Last edited by muggsy; 11-29-2015 at 04:16 PM.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Given good cleaning and lubrication, no screwin' with it trying to "improve" it, lack of neglect, occasional small parts replacement for wear, you ought to go a mighty, mighty long time.

Paraphrasing olde Jocko, "Shoot the fokker like you stole it!"

As a side note.... my SP101 is beyond broken in. I got one of the very first, and it came with olive green Xenoy grip inserts. Its been dry fired at least 90,000 times. Semi verifiable too - based on my using it as an instruction tool when teaching safety classes at the local gun range twice and three times per week for years and years. Actual shots fired, less than 1000.. maybe 600 max. No ill effects, just smooth double action, single too. The single action is Ruger creepy, but smooth as the inside of your girlfriend's thigh.

You'll do well to keep on shootin' that K9

A range in Ohio has one for rent , 25000 plus . That's the reason I got mine . Mine has about 2500 through it never a issue

Jake

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

At least 5 - 6 months....but no guarantee.
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

I bought my K9 used so I haven't a clue as far as total round count. Since I've owned it it has about 2000 trouble free through it and it has become my EDC. With proper care it should outlast me and maybe a couple of generations after that.

Cool. Thanks. I hope I can pass it along to my son someday.

There's pistols out there that are more than 100 yrs old and even some original cap & ball pistols that are older yet, still firing. The K9 is made of modern stainless steel, with proper maintence & lube it should easily out live you and still be perfectly functional into the next generation

Eleventy billion rounds or forever... whichever comes second.

I once asked about the service life of a Ruger P345 on the Ruger forum, one guy said "You'll die first". Probably true for Kahrs also, especially the all steel versions.
    Remember Muggsy. RIP Salty Dog. And the Tman