CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun

Thread: CW40 and Pro Mag?

Default CW40 and Pro Mag?

Hello. New here, so have patience with me.

Picked up a new CW40 in June. Dealer tossed in a box of Federal 180g and a box of Hawk Sight 165g.
    I studied the manual, and searched the net about this gun, so I was aware of the loading and break-in.
    I ran 30 rds of each through it and had several jams with each brand. I know, not the 200 recommended, but my range time and funds were limited.
    So every chance I got I continually racked. Watching TV...I racked...and racked. It got to the point that when my wife saw me take the .40 out during a show...I was banned to the basement.
    I also left it locked back overnight several times. I know it's not the same as shooting, but since June I've probably got 1000 or so "racks".
    Wanting a second mag, I couldn't afford (justify another KAHR $40 purchase to the wife) so I ordered a Pro Mag 7rd.
    Then, I began searching reviews on the mag. I saw horror stories, "junk" as well as no problems, reliable, etc.

My experience.
    I loaded the mag with Hornaday Critical Defense. Went to the farm to try it out. It functioned flawlessly all 20 rounds. I didn't try any more at $29 bucks a box. Mag dropped out with a push of the release.
    I then loaded The Federal. Again, no problems.
    I then loaded the remainder of the Federal in the factory 6rd mag. No problems.

Today, out of curiosity, I loaded the factory mag and the Pro Mag, leaving the slide in battery. I was surprised to see that I was able to rack the first, and every other round with no problems. I repeated this several times. I intend to take it to the farm and shoot today.

Question is, has anyone else tried a Pro Mag in their KAHR?

not me, but I'm glad yours is working for you. Welcome!

P.S. I tend to be a patient soul so I've waited until I found spare factory mags in some clearance bin at the local gun stores. So far I've been able to find them for less than $30.
    ​O|||||||O

I have not seen the ProMags anywhere. I've picked up 2- 7 round factory mags in addition to the 6- round it came with, but I'd try a ProMag if the price was right.

Promag is always hit or miss. I've had some that work and some that don't. If there's ever an option I skip them.

ProMag's quality is hit or miss... But if it works, then it works. I have a CW40 in my carry rotation with slightly more than 1200 rounds fired thru it... I had the occasional case get caught up in the slide in my first couple boxes and since then, nada. That was 1000 rounds ago. Since then I've upgraded the front sight to a all metal Trijicon night sight available on Karhr's website. It is well worth the upgrade if you plan on carrying it. Ammo wise, my CW40 ate up pretty much what I fed it although I think it has a preference for 180 gr target loads & it seems to like Hornady critical defense & federal Hydra shoks 135-155 gr the best. When I mean "the best" I mean I get more tighter groups at 7 yards. (my average distance when practicing)

Good luck & have fun shooting it... Keep it clean & well lubed after each time at the range & it will serve you well.

MidwayUSA has Kahr factory magazines for your CW40 for $32. You might even do better if you shop around. Like you, I thought buying magazines directly from Kahr was a bit "pricey".

My only experience with ProMag is in a SIG P228 9 mm Luger. In my case, the magazine catch slot started peening outwards from being slammed against the magazine catch on recoil. I dressed the projecting metal back a bit with a file but the peening continued so I eventually returned the magazine to ProMag. The redeeming factor is ProMag has a lifetime warranty on their products so they replaced my magazine with a new one. To date, I still haven't use the replacement ProMag, preferring to use SIG factory magazines instead.
    Life member - NRA
    Life member - CA Rifle & Pistol Assn.
    SW desert rat