Xssights   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: Meprolite (Kahr) night sights install on old model P40?

Question Meprolite (Kahr) night sights install on old model P40?

Going to get night sights on my old style (no dimple) P40 and when checking the Kahr site I find that sights are $80+, $40 install and $25 return ship. I'd like to save some $$ and do the work myself without a sight pusher using a mallet and brass drift punch? Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by fedgun View Post
    Going to get night sights on my old style (no dimple) P40 and when checking the Kahr site I find that sights are $80+, $40 install and $25 return ship. I'd like to save some $$ and do the work myself without a sight pusher using a mallet and brass drift punch? Any suggestions?
    A big enough hammer and the proper punch will work just fine to remove the existing sights.
    I'd advise against using them to install night sights as there is a greater chance of damaging the glass tube that contains the tritium with them than when using a sight pusher.
    There are sight pushers available on some auction sight for $50 dollars and under.
    If you must you use a hammer and punch to do the install:
    Go with a nylon tipped punch.
    In my experience, the night sights will be oversize and require fitting. I usually fit them so that they go about a quarter to half the distance needed to center them with thumb pressure (some sight dovetails are cut parallel, with these I fit the sight so that it just barley starts into the dovetail). Sans a pusher, you might consider fitting the sights a little looser and use Loctite (or something similar) to insure they stay in place.
    Don't put the punch on the front sight post.
    Regards,
    Greg

BTW, welcome to the forums.
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

+1 ... except....

A STEADY vice is the key. Hammer weight need not be excessive as long as you hold the slide DEAD STILL as you're trying to move the sights.

Fit the new sights a bit looser. Half way into the dove tail is good, take 'em out, red locktite, and tap 'em home. A pusher should do at that point, or, just a nylon tip punch as was said (or a brass one for that matter, just go east with it)

Clean up the loctite and let 'er sit a day, as they stuff does take a bit to "cure"

~~

The brand spankin new PM9 I got had a loose front sight. I stippled the bottom of the sight a bit, and it was still... not quite as tight as I like it to be. Red loctite, and got it in and centered. Has not budged. Seems good to go after a few sessions of shooting.

~~

To fit a new dovetail sight, the best way is to rub it against the teeth of a file that's laid on your bench top. Then turn the sight 180 degrees and rub the same amount. Do this with a few rubs in each direction, until it begins to fit into the dove tail, then continue a bit until you can fit it about half way.

Dove tail - with the muzzle pointing away from you - push out from left to right. Push in from right to left.

Oh yes, a steady vise is as important as CJB asserts...thanks for the back up sir!
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fedgun View Post
    I'd like to thank all those who contributed responses to my question. I will heed the advise and recognizing my limitations seek out a professional.

Not quite sure how to mark this thread "closed". Not a lot of forum experience.

Was the thread closed when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor? Hmmmm?