Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new

Thread: CT45 & 1911 mags?

Default CT45 & 1911 mags?

Can we use 1911 mags in the CT45 with similar modifications to the CW45? 8-rounders would be interesting.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, SP101

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    Can we use 1911 mags in the CT45 with similar modifications to the CW45? 8-rounders would be interesting.
    There was a thread last year where one member said he tried some (the thread was discussing 7 & 8 round magazines) and they would not lock in, but C_Class also posted "Actually the ACT MAG 8 round mags fit with minimal modification. The plastic tab on the base plate has to be removed. Once that is done, the magazines seat and work without problem. The last shot fired frequently does not lock the slide open." He was kind enough to provide photos of the very minimal modification: http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?25481-Kahr-CT45-with-1911-mags

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

I use 8 round 1911 mags in my ct45 The mags I have are left overs from a 1911 I sold . Mostly cmc with rubber bumps and a couple flush kimber 8 round mags .

The primary two items I ended up dealing with was removing any metal on top that the slide can hit . That's is removing much of the curve in front of them feed lips to a point below the lip edge . The other is the size of the opening for the mag lock . Stock is .153 . cmc is .128 kimber about the same . They both lock in stock but wiggle room to seat a full 8 run mag it is too tight . Takes a forceful slap to seat the mag with the slide forward like with 8+1. I opened the gap up to .180 taken from the top side and that's gives me the wiggle room for a full kimber or cmc 8 round mag to lock in yet function reliably with 8 rounds . Different brands may or may not need this done . I did bend the V shaped followers nose down level . Needed too ? Maybe not but I have seen it done on some cw45 1911 mags and it works well that way .

I put a small notch in the front bottom of my grip so flush mags fit and plastic bases will fit with out trimming anything . The notch is .520 wide and .022 deep .

I'm no more mechanically inclined than the average country folk so I figure most can common sense there way thru this .

Please don't ask for photos as some one tried to hack my storage site so I closed out all photos and account .

I have some 10 round magazines that lock in to a CT45 fine. They hang out the bottom a bit. I have 2 that have a plastic molding around the base of the magazine to cover up the bottom of the mag as it hangs out of a 1911, and I had to remove this plastic cover to get the mags to lock in. Another one did not have the plastic cover and locked in fine. No alteration to the mag was necessary, to get it to lock in, although the top of the feed lips would probably need a bit removed to keep them from rubbing on the slide.
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.

My 10 round mag locks into my PM45, but it doesn't function right. I'm not modifying it, as I use it in my Colt.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, SP101

hardluk, thanks for the info. Just traded for a CT45 and nice to have someone explain it so clearly.
    "The Deacon" Zoot Shooter #84
    Yup, I'm the guy at Surplus Rifle

DeaconKC If you reload 200gr SWC that have worked sooo well in a 1911 are a royal pain in the arse when it comes to feeding . I have yet to go back to find a OAL that works well . I don't shoot 45 much and have 700 rounds loaded using 225gr tc from buyou to run thru first . Other wise the big 45 kahrs a great shooter .

hardluk, I used your dimensions this afternoon and the CT45 now happily accepts 8 round 1911 mags. 9 rounds, same as fullsize1911 at a lot less weight and much narrower. Even found an IWB holster for it in my "bow of holsters"! Thanks for the advice on the reloads too.
    "The Deacon" Zoot Shooter #84
    Yup, I'm the guy at Surplus Rifle

Missed the update !! Glad every things working out well with your 45 . What would we and our extended family do with out that box of holsters .