Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement sights for US made DE .50AE with 8-slot rail?

Default Replacement sights for US made DE .50AE with 8-slot rail?

I've decided I don't like the factory sights on my DE. The sights are all black, and as I primarily shoot at an indoor range, nearly invisible against the target...

I saw a nice looking set of Trijcons, but they indicate they are not compatible with the 8-slot rail barrel. I was thinking of putting a small, inexpensive reflex sight on, but after chatting with one of the salespeople at the range I go to, he didn't think a cheap one would survive on a DE (he admitted he couldn't say for sure, as I couldn't give him a comparison as far as the recoil goes, his first thought was to look at ones intended for rifles or shotguns.)

I took a look at some of the ones on MRIs store page and MidwayUSA, and I'm not sure I like those...

So then I thought, what about putting some enamel, white paint on the existing sights, with a small paintbrush?

So, the question is (because I've not done any of the above,) any suggestions for sights, reflex or iron, or painting the existing sights (carefully, with a small modelers brush, and masking tape all around the sights so I don't get it elsewhere)?

Thanks,
    Jason A.

Quote Originally Posted by jsona View Post
    I've decided I don't like the factory sights on my DE. The sights are all black, and as I primarily shoot at an indoor range, nearly invisible against the target...

I saw a nice looking set of Trijcons, but they indicate they are not compatible with the 8-slot rail barrel. I was thinking of putting a small, inexpensive reflex sight on, but after chatting with one of the salespeople at the range I go to, he didn't think a cheap one would survive on a DE (he admitted he couldn't say for sure, as I couldn't give him a comparison as far as the recoil goes, his first thought was to look at ones intended for rifles or shotguns.)

I took a look at some of the ones on MRIs store page and MidwayUSA, and I'm not sure I like those...

So then I thought, what about putting some enamel, white paint on the existing sights, with a small paintbrush?

So, the question is (because I've not done any of the above,) any suggestions for sights, reflex or iron, or painting the existing sights (carefully, with a small modelers brush, and masking tape all around the sights so I don't get it elsewhere)?

Thanks,
    Jason A.
    Paint is surely the least expensive way to go and it's easily touched up or undone if your not happy with it. If you make sure the sight is free of any oil/grease before you paint it, let the paint cure completely, and then be careful when using cleaning fluids around it I imagine it will be durable enough for your intended purpose.

You might also contact Dawson Precision. They have a fiber optic front sight listed as "Dawson Precision Desert Eagle XIX Fiber Optic Front Sights - USA Made" (as opposed to another listed as "Israel Made").
    https://dawsonprecision.com/sights/m...search-sights/

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

I have used Testors white on many of my sights. If you make a boo boo, no harm, no foul, it comes off. I always used a toothpick. You need so little paint, and it's easier to see how much paint you have on a toothpick versus brush. You could also purchase some of the fluorescent paints that are out there and experiment. My old eyes seem to always prefer white.

Ditto +1 on Testor's

Stays put till you don't want it to.

Shoot at a white target?
    ​O|||||||O

A late add to this.....I use fishing lure paint....more durable and many bright colors.
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

Wife and I both work part time for Dick Night Fishing lures. He sent me a couple jars of lure paint and one of a clear coat.
    I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet but I think it will work really good.

Guess I need to buy a gun with sights I don't like so I can test it out.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I know this is an older thread but Ford's Custom Gun Refinishing makes some really good sights for the Desert Eagle.

I put Williams Firesights on my .50AE Desert Eagle. The front was not high enough so I called Dawson Precision and ordered a higher front sight. He has a formula for figuring how high the front sight should be. He will tell you how to measure to figure it out. They work perfect. I have added a scope to mine since then.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhart View Post
    I put Williams Firesights on my .50AE Desert Eagle. The front was not high enough so I called Dawson Precision and ordered a higher front sight. He has a formula for figuring how high the front sight should be. He will tell you how to measure to figure it out. They work perfect. I have added a scope to mine since then.
    This is exactly what I did with a slide of unknown origin I made up from parts specifically for 357Magnum It wasn't the right type for Williams Firesights... I ended up getting a good bit taller (0.305) height front sight from Dawson Precision. My rear sight was running out of travel, so basically I adjusted the rear sight travel to the height I wanted it to be (about 30% from bottomed out) and followed Dawsons calculator for front sight height, and it worked perfectly.

MrBlackCat