Magnum Research new   Xssights   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Our Favorite President

Yes. Really. Just because one store wants $593 doesn't mean that there isn't another who wants less. And maybe the first store would negotiate? There are higher than $419 listings on the internet too. I just checked. It's just a matter of doing your homework and shopping. My only point is that, with a little effort, I've always been able to find a deal close enough that I could justify supporting my LGS. I'm not sure why you should have a problem with that.
    ​O|||||||O

I check with my local shop when I see an online deal to see if they can come close to a match. If they can't, they tell me and they still get the transfer. Never any hard feelings. They usually can't beat the online sales.

Armed with a photocopy of Buds ad for a new shotgun, I went to see the gun library manager at my local Cabelas for the same shotgun slightly used. I said, "Can you match Buds price? I will buy your used shotgun because I would rather buy locally." He said, "Can't sell it at that price and you'll have to pay shipping buying from Buds." I said, "Read the ad, it says free shipping," then I added, " and Buds doesn't collect a sales tax." He said, "I still can't meet that price." So I said, "Maybe we can do better the next time." A week later, my FFL calls me to say that my shotgun has arrived. My new shotgun came in the factory packing along with a factory plastic hardcase. So much for buying locally. I support buying locally up to a certain point but when it comes past that point, I support shopping around.
    Life member - NRA
    Life member - CA Rifle & Pistol Assn.
    SW desert rat

^^^ I'm not sure Cabela's is a good example of buying locally. But I get it. No one wants to overpay. I can give a similar example with different results. I went online to research the best price for a Beretta O/U. Then I check the local LGS's and found 2 who had them in stock. The stock price was a bit higher so I just waited for a sale. The sale price was still a little higher but one of the 2 was willing to discount even deeper and match the online price. The sales tax was a little more than the shipping+FFL fee but close enough.

I also understand that, in some areas, big box stores are the only opportunities to buy locally. There are no little mom-and-pop stores. But that just proves my point. Support them when you can or you will find yourself without many options.

I guess I've beat this horse enough. Thanks for listening.
    ​O|||||||O

Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    Yes. Really. Just because one store wants $593 doesn't mean that there isn't another who wants less. And maybe the first store would negotiate? There are higher than $419 listings on the internet too. I just checked. It's just a matter of doing your homework and shopping. My only point is that, with a little effort, I've always been able to find a deal close enough that I could justify supporting my LGS. I'm not sure why you should have a problem with that.
    Well, you know me...............only been shooting for over 40 years, and I'm too ignorant to realize that there are other stores. My point being, there isn't a store within 500 miles of me, that can sell a firearm any cheaper than the net. Most of the time, even with associated fees, I can still get the firearm cheaper on the net. Averages around $100, sometimes double that. If you choose to pay your LGS a couple hundred more than retail, more power to you. I look for the best price. That's called the free market, and the American way. Most gun stores make their $$$$$$$$ off of sight installs, gunsmithing, ammo, etc. Mark your firearm up 2-300 $$$$$$$$$$ and my cash goes elsewhere. So does the rest of my business. I can send in my HK slide, and have sights installed for free. Can't make a profit, your in the wrong business/area. This is all besides the fact that I have 3 LGS with in 5 blocks of me. They are all hurting for business because of their pricing, and WILL probably fold up eventually. Maybe you've heard of one of them, Badger Guns. I've been there and done that. All they do is bad mouth any bullet besides .45 cal., and don't want anything to do with .40 cal. at all, or any of the small calibers. I've had so many people tell me that the people who run these places are all loud mouth jerks. We've also had many of them selling at the gun shows and reporting private sellers to the ATF, for no reason other than they are stealing business away. Some of you may be lucky enough to poo poo $100-200, not me. Then again, many people can afford to have plenty of firearms that they like to show pictures of, and never shoot them. Mine are all shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    Well, you know me...............only been shooting for over 40 years, and I'm too ignorant to realize that there are other stores. My point being, there isn't a store within 500 miles of me, that can sell a firearm any cheaper than the net. Most of the time, even with associated fees, I can still get the firearm cheaper on the net. Averages around $100, sometimes double that. If you choose to pay your LGS a couple hundred more than retail, more power to you. I look for the best price. That's called the free market, and the American way. Most gun stores make their $$$$$$$$ off of sight installs, gunsmithing, ammo, etc. Mark your firearm up 2-300 $$$$$$$$$$ and my cash goes elsewhere. So does the rest of my business. I can send in my HK slide, and have sights installed for free. Can't make a profit, your in the wrong business/area. This is all besides the fact that I have 3 LGS with in 5 blocks of me. They are all hurting for business because of their pricing, and WILL probably fold up eventually. Maybe you've heard of one of them, Badger Guns. I've been there and done that. All they do is bad mouth any bullet besides .45 cal., and don't want anything to do with .40 cal. at all, or any of the small calibers. I've had so many people tell me that the people who run these places are all loud mouth jerks. We've also had many of them selling at the gun shows and reporting private sellers to the ATF, for no reason other than they are stealing business away. Some of you may be lucky enough to poo poo $100-200, not me. Then again, many people can afford to have plenty of firearms that they like to show pictures of, and never shoot them. Mine are all shooters.
    I'm with you. Local stores here want new prices for used guns. The stores that have good prices only carry the cheapest of models. The stores that carry the brands I like want $150 to $200 more than they are worth. $10 ffl fee and no tax plus shipping is alot cheaper than buying from any LGS near me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    It would be if the local guy sold 20 a day. He probably sells 4 or 5 a month.
    The internet shops sell hundreds everyday with few employees and a big warehouse. Low maintenance, most have no showroom to pretty up.

Our two local shops struggling to survive have a lot of folks come in and look em over and then buy on the internet.

I try to support them but I too buy on the internet when there a big difference in price.

100 bucks weather profit or not is a lot of money to me.

Now if I had Jocko's money, I wouldn't give it a thought.
    Speaking of Jocko's money, I wonder if he has any left after visiting those Hooters joints down in the Sunshine State?
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
    Speaking of Jocko's money, I wonder if he has any left after visiting those Hooters joints down in the Sunshine State?
    If you had Jocko's money you'd burn yours. Who do you think loans Bawanna the money for his many gun purchases?
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380