Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   Xssights   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ported K40

Default Ported K40

I took my K40 to Mag-Na-Port this morning to drop it off to have it ported arriving as they open their doors at 9:00AM and was very pleasantly surprised when I was ask if I want to wait on it. I of course said I would wait so I was told it would take approximately 2 hours so the wife and I went over to a CrackerBarrel close by and had a big breakfast and returned to pick it up just after 11:00 and only had to wait about 10 minutes until they could pull it out of the machine and clean it up. I have attached a photo and plan to take it out tomorrow and give it a test run, I also placed my order with Kahrshop for a set of the checkered wood grips last night. This is going to become one special little gun. I am also thinking of doing a melt job to round off the corners a bit more, then polish it up to remove all surface roughness and then bead blast all over to give it a silky smooth satin finish but that would be something I will do myself this winter when I am not so busy at work.

Tony,

Check My Photography Website
    PhotographicEndeavors.com

Army National Guard Veteran 1972-78
    NRA Life Member
    Kahr PM9
    Kahr K40
    Kahr CW380
    "Defend freedom because it is not free"

Very cool! Does it reduce felt recoil significantly? I know my Glock .40s like to kick! Not concerned about muzzle flash projected northward?
    Kahr CM9

I like, I don't care for the porting (just me and my old ways), but those guys do real good work. What kind of wood are you thinking about for the grips? I bet some ironwood or cherry would do real purdy on that...
    Attitude: it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile...and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

The olive branch is considered a symbol of peace, and good will. Last time I checked, it's still a switch.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerP9fan View Post
    Very cool! Does it reduce felt recoil significantly? I know my Glock .40s like to kick! Not concerned about muzzle flash projected northward?
    RogerP9fan,,

I will give a report after my range trip tomorrow evening, I have not shot a P40 that has been ported but I do have a S&W 686 that is ported and the difference is substantial, The Person at Mag-Na-Port told me today that on average the barrel rise is reduce by 30% and the felt recoil is reduce by 20%

Quote Originally Posted by jlottmc View Post
    I like, I don't care for the porting (just me and my old ways), but those guys do real good work. What kind of wood are you thinking about for the grips? I bet some ironwood or cherry would do real purdy on that...
    jlottmc,

The grip are the checkered Exotic Hardwood PAU FERRO off of the kahr website. I cannot find anyone else with grips for this gun in stock I would think I could special order them from one of the custom grip makers but the cost would be really high.
    Tony,

NRA Life Member
    Kahr PM9
    Kahr K40
    Kahr CW380

ol cool, you will loke the ported K40. great gun but IMO the porting just makes it so so nice to shoot. My K9 is ported and hell I don't even feel anythingj, just sits there waiting on the next shot.

My G19 IMO is the best ported gun I have ever shot. I truthfully feels like my 22 conversion kit when on it. just nothing in recoil. My best semi in years for this ol timer. just to damn big for pocket carry like my trusty ported PM9 rides every day...

Cool. I agree the wood grips would look awesome. Did you see Ripley's K9 with the new wood grips?
    Gorgeous!
    Kahr CM9

That is one fine looking piece.

There's just something about stainless steel.

Believe I am going to be Mag-na-porting my K9, once it comes back from the factory from getting a set of XS Big Dot Tritium sights installed.

Some of my gun buddies claim that if you ever have to fire a ported gun in self defense without ear plugs, it will blow your eardrums out.

IMHO that is a bunch of Bullsh*t, I would not want to fire any center fire hand gun in a enclosed space like a car interior as the blast concussion and noise would be bad on the ear drums for sure, But in a situation where I would need to fire my gun in self defense , I would not hesitate to do so.

Here is some information taken right off of the Mag-Na-Port website,

The Mag-na-port Process

Mag-na-porting is accomplished with Electrical Discharge Machining (EDM), a surgically precise method of removing metal. Dielectric oil is flooded over the area of the barrel that is to be "cut," and an electrode. When voltage is applied, the oil is ionized, which establishes a continuous flow of electrons between the electrodes and the barrel...an electrical arc. It is the electron flow which does actual "machining" of the trapezoidal ports.

The patented Mag-na-port process assures the gun owner of a smooth incision of exact dimension. There is no damage to the metal surrounding the ports; no machining marks, as would be the case subsequent to a drilling operation. The finish is similarly protected, as it is blended into the metal exposed by the erosion process during the EDM operation.

It should be noted that Mag-na-porting a firearm:

* does NOT reduce velocity
    * does NOT affect inherent accuracy
    * does NOT raise noise level

Mag-na-porting:

* DOES reduce muzzle lift
    * DOES reduce perceived recoil
    * DOES increase the value of a firearm
    Tony,

NRA Life Member
    Kahr PM9
    Kahr K40
    Kahr CW380

Default some

:53:
    Quote Originally Posted by deadhead1971 View Post
    Some of my gun buddies claim that if you ever have to fire a ported gun in self defense without ear plugs, it will blow your eardrums out.
    of ur gun buddies are dummer than owl sh-t to...:53: