Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tungsten CW380 - Brake Cleaner on Cerakote?

Default Tungsten CW380 - Brake Cleaner on Cerakote?

Hi, first post. I just got a CW380 in tungsten cerakote (should be here in a few days) and while checking out the prep and lube stickies I noticed a lot of folks recommend cleaning out the striker channel with non chlorinated brake cleaner. My question is whether or not its safe to use on cerakote. I believe these cerakote offerings from Kahr are relatively new and I've been unable to find a definitive answer. Some say its safe, others say no. Does anyone have any experience with this? If it is not safe to use, what are the alternatives? I was hoping to use brake cleaner because its cheap and I would imagine the aerosol would really blast the crud out of the channel. Sorry is this isn't the right section for this type of post. I figure someone in this section may have experience with Kahr's cerakote models. Thanks for your time.

No idea on Cerakote, but its fine on K-Kote Kalguard GunKote (whatever the heck you wanna call it).

Once that stuff dries and is cured, its sandblast (or pocket wear) to get it off.

Now I'm kind of wishing I had got the stainless. I have a cerakoted Sig M400 enhanced but I've never used anything but CLP on it. Can you recommend another cleaner that would be safe to use in the striker channel? I guess I could blow it out with canned air. I had been eyeing the CW380 for a while but hadn't seen the cerakoted models until recently. Thought I'd take a shot with one. Hoping for a smooth break in period and no trips back to kahr. All these bad experiences I've seen here have got me worried. Thanks for the info!

Mine are stainless but you got me wondering. Is the underside of the slide coated? If so, test whatever you use there. Or maybe test it on the striker plate (easy to fix if necessary). Keep it away from blued sights.

Follow the prep stickies and you will be fine. Use good ammo and firm up that grip. Post here if you encounter difficulties. Good luck. Welcome.
    ​O|||||||O

I just picked up a new CT 380 last Friday that has the tungsten coating. I just pulled the slide and it appears to me to have the Cerakote underneath as well. I was wondering the same as the OP asked, looks like I'll give the underside a spot test with BC to see what happens this weekend. BTW new here and to the Kahr products, I appreciate the wealth of info this site provides.

Thanks, I hadn't thought about the inside not being coated but apparently it is. Let me know the results! Thanks again!

You are only gonna use brake cleaner to flush out the striker channel anyways. So, even if it tests safe, do your best to keep it off the outside surfaces.
    ​O|||||||O

Found this but I would like to see an independent unbiased result for peace of mind.

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/r...icalResist.pdf

Welcome to the forum. I have the very same model. I put the first 150 rounds thru it on Sunday without any issues. No cleaning or lubing prior, just working the slide and storing it with the slide locked back. I cleaned it with a general firearm cleaning kit. Enjoy your first outing with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's good to hear. I picked up an FNS-9 this past summer and heard plenty about expecting failures. I did the same thing, kept the slide locked back for a few days and the mags loaded. That's one stiff pistol but it hasn't failed me yet. I shoot it so much better than my glocks. Eager to try out the kahr. I don't own anything smaller than a glock 19 besides a Walther p22. Thanks for all the info.